What do you eat before the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Depending on how early I go. If I go at like 6 a.m. then I eat a banana or an apple. If it's a few hours later than that then I eat a light breakfast.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Normally not much. My afternoon snack falls a couple hours before the gym and it's often a quest bar.

But today I ate 9 tablespoons of egg beaters, 2 slices of bacon, a laughing cow cheese, and a chobani 100 calorie yogurt. Good workout. Think I'm gonna see if I can start eating more before I go now.

Lifting or cardio? I can't lift if I get more than 10g of fat, and 10g is pushing it for comfort! I had an awesome session a few weeks ago after eating 2 protein bars (~40g protein and 50g carbs total), wasn't the calories though because I've worked out before on a pretty full stomach and felt horrible. I think I need a good bit of protein but more carbs for energy.

Lifting. Last week I went in for squats like a hungry punk and this week I wasn't going to let it happen. At the same time, my fat was down too low last week so I was purposely trying to get some fat in today and since I needed it, I felt good. It didn't have a negative impact on my workout. I was eating two protein bars in a day for awhile, one for breakfast and one for afternoon snack (an hour before the gym). It was fine except for fiber issues :)
  • ffswmn
    ffswmn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread with PB and honey about 1 hour before working out, if I'm working out at night. If I work out in the morning I don't eat anything. I found if I didn't eat anything in the afternoonI felt like I was going to pass out.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Usually I have something small, like half a banana or tomorrow is a halo orange, though I might not have anything at all. It usually depends on the distance of the run I have planned. I eat lunch at 11:30 and won't eat again until around 8pm, so a snack can help. :)
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I generally only have coffee with honey and half and half before my work out. I usually eat my first meal about an hour after I have finished my workout. My workouts go from 20minutes to 45 minutes. If I were doing longer more strenuous workouts I would probably eat some citrus prior to my work out for a quick carb boost.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Fruit, sugary cereal or candy right before a lifting session and sometimes during :p
  • arditarose
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Fruit, sugary cereal or candy right before a lifting session and sometimes during :p

I've been known to eat during a workout too. Yum.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Normally not much. My afternoon snack falls a couple hours before the gym and it's often a quest bar.

But today I ate 9 tablespoons of egg beaters, 2 slices of bacon, a laughing cow cheese, and a chobani 100 calorie yogurt. Good workout. Think I'm gonna see if I can start eating more before I go now.

Lifting or cardio? I can't lift if I get more than 10g of fat, and 10g is pushing it for comfort! I had an awesome session a few weeks ago after eating 2 protein bars (~40g protein and 50g carbs total), wasn't the calories though because I've worked out before on a pretty full stomach and felt horrible. I think I need a good bit of protein but more carbs for energy.

Lifting. Last week I went in for squats like a hungry punk and this week I wasn't going to let it happen. At the same time, my fat was down too low last week so I was purposely trying to get some fat in today and since I needed it, I felt good. It didn't have a negative impact on my workout. I was eating two protein bars in a day for awhile, one for breakfast and one for afternoon snack (an hour before the gym). It was fine except for fiber issues :)

HOw much fat is in 2 slices of bacon? I really cannot do more than 10g, and too many calories too soon before a workout is bad news. I had like half an apple once 20 minutes before a workout and was just full of cramps the entire time LOL. I used to do a protein smoothie for morning workouts, seemed to work well.
  • arditarose
    Options

HOw much fat is in 2 slices of bacon? I really cannot do more than 10g, and too many calories too soon before a workout is bad news. I had like half an apple once 20 minutes before a workout and was just full of cramps the entire time LOL. I used to do a protein smoothie for morning workouts, seemed to work well.

Looks like only 5 grams of fat.