Dumb question..

Options
How do you guys decide your goal weight. I set one but now as I get closer to it I'm thinking I might want to go lower depending on how I feel. How do you set for your I did it goal.

Replies

• healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I haven't set mine yet! I have an idea of what it may be but won't know until my body gets there. I'll figure it out once I know what looks healthy for me and what is realistic given my lifestyle.
  • Courage_Warrior
    Options
    I look in the mirror and eyeball my bf%, my goal is 7%bf, once i reach that, i'm done cutting.

I'm around 15% atm.
  • JordanRay21
    JordanRay21 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started at 200+ lbs. My goal weight was 150 lbs. I am 5 lbs away and you know what....I am now shooting for 140 lbs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    first time i did i used a BMI chart to determine what my normal weight is for my height.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have always been 'heavy' for my height, and I am super stocky so I knew that my ideal weight was not going to be found on a doctors chart. For me it was more about getting into a certain size pants, shirt etc.

I also had fitness goals and just wanted to like what I saw in the mirror.

Some people are much more scientific about it, determining body fat index etc. That wasn't for me.

Good luck and congrats on success thus far.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Middle of the healthy weight chart.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Of course that is how I originally picked, but no longer care. Now it's all about getting stronger.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Same. If I get there I will be ecstatic.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Set one, found out it was still about six pounds overweight, dropped it fifteen pounds, then decided I may go ten more (if/when I get there)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mine was picked on the basis that I have a photo of me at that weight and I like how I looked. But realistically, I was 10 years younger and I know I'm not going to look the same, so I'm fully prepared to reassess. I'm really not too hung up on a number though, more how I look, how I feel and what I can do.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Also, consider what is a healthy BMI (body mass index) for you. Being severely underweight can be dangerous to your health just as can being overweight -- especially since you are still young and want to be sure to develop and nourish your brain, bones, organs, etc. appropriately.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mine is based off of my previous light weight after losing weight 4-5 years ago. But I may end up wanting to be lighter than that, or heavier, no idea. I'm going to stop once I'm happy with my body fat %, which I'm expecting to be adequately low enough at 140-145lbs (which I was at 5 years ago, although I had less LBM and more body fat then).

Also my goal used to be 160. At my body fat%, definitely not stopping weight loss now (156).
  • Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I picked the middle of a healthy weight chart, then 5 pounds lower, then another 5 pounds lower, then between recovering from an injury and beginning strength training, gained some weight back, then lost some more, and ended up being absolutely thrilled with how I looked at my original weight, and amazed at how different that weight looked than the first time around.

Takeaway message: I wished I'd started strength training earlier.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I used an ideal weight calculator to get a starting goal. I picked a weight at the low end of the range. Once I get there I'll see how I feel about things and might adjust.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i set my goal weight based on the weight i was before i got pregnant. i was healthy, happy and felt really good about my size at that weight, so that is where i am aiming this time. :smile:
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You can decide your goal weight when you get there and you can reasses any time. :)
    I have an idea of my goal weight, but that can change. You don't have to know yet!
  • kfayr
    kfayr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    for me it's more about changing my lifestyle for the better and of course in doing so I will lose weight. Long term your body sits into it's own ideal weight if you keep exercising and eating well. There is always a point your body feels most comfortable and often you can't push past it in a healthy way
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I looked at a BMI chart and went 10 lb below the top end of a healthy weight range, which would make my BMI 24.

Depending on how I look/feel once I get there, I _might_ want to go as much as another 15 lb below that (25 below the top end of the healthy range, making my BMI 22), but I haven't decided yet. That would put me right in the middle of the healthy weight range.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    160wannab wrote: »
    How do you guys decide your goal weight. I set one but now as I get closer to it I'm thinking I might want to go lower depending on how I feel. How do you set for your I did it goal.

Based on stomach fat, although now I am trying to replace about 1 lb of fat with a lb of muscle and stay the same weight. That's when a scale that measures muscle will come in handy.