Looking for a good heart rate monitor that stays on during my workout

Options
Have the polar ft4 and it never stays on I am so over it. I even bought two more chest straps and it still goes out. Sometimes it will work for 3miles of a run sometimes only 2 miles sometimes 5. On the eliptical same thing can work for 10min or up to 30 you never know when its just going to stop working. Does anyone else have trouble with theirs

Replies

• hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have an Armour39, it stays put, but I usually only jog 3 miles.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Do you mean the monitor falls off the strap or the strap is falling off? I have a ft4, and I had to buy a smaller strap. The first one was too loose and it was sliding down my torso when I did any kind of high impact exercising.
  • katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    mine did this a few years ago. I ended up having to buy a new transmitter.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    like it turns off?? you might need a new battery.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    no it goes from showing my heart rate to saying check monitor and goes to 00 and i have to start it all over again happens every time I work out. I did buy 2 smaller chest straps
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have one and it's done that once or twice. It's a common complaint for these monitors.
    I recall someone saying that the problem is in the contact with your skin and there's a gel you can use that corrects it.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've had that issue in the past. What has worked for me.... soak the strap in a sink of warm water for 15-20 min. Do not use any soap in the water. Wipe the contact area well with a wash cloth. Repeat several times. This and being sure the strap is tight worked for me. After use soak for a few minutes in warm water without soap and wipe with wash cloth. I don't know if the soap leaves some type of film on the contact or what, but this has worked for me.
  • tammymusic1
    Options
    it does say it is able to go in the washer with mild soap so i have been putting them in about once a week and air drying them maybe I will try the gel i see it pops up on amazon when you search the polar must work
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Mine was doing this a lot ages ago (I've got the FT6 model). The readings would also be very erratic, reading 200bpm etc. I had to send it in to the Polar place to get it fixed. Turns out it wasn't the chest strap (even though I got conned into buying a new one!), it was something inside the watch that was broken. Thankfully, mine was still under warranty. Is yours under warranty still? Perhaps send it away to be looked at.
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between soap and detergent. Pretty sure it's ok to use laundry detergent, not soap, but read the instructions to double check. Soap leaves residue.

I have the same HRM, same problem. Bleck.
  • tammymusic1
    Options
    yeah I ment laundry detergent we use the costco gentle no color do dye no smell for sensitive skin
  • leah0750
    leah0750 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mine does this intermittently as well, let me know how the gel works!

• tammymusic1
    Options
    will post how the gel works went ahead and ordered some on amazon