Cabbage Rolls

Options
JordanRay21
JordanRay21 Posts: 25 Member
Easy recipe as well. All you need is some 90% Lean (or higher) ground beef (I use that because it is healthier than the typical 85-80% that most people buy). Season beef to taste (I use sea salt and pepper). Roll into balls. Boil your cabbage so that you can peel the layers off better. Wrap beef in 1-2 layers of cabbage. Then for your sauce I puree fresh tomato and strain out and seeds or chunks. You can buy canned pureed tomatoes if you don't want to go through the hassle just make sure the ingredients read only tomatoes. You don't want the added sugars if your trying to eat clean. Season the tomato puree to taste as well (I use Italian seasoning blend, sea salt, and pepper) The sauce tastes pretty darn close to canned sauce! You can either cook in a crock pot for a few hours (which is what I do) or cook in the oven on 350-375 in a baking dish, your choice. If you want you could also follow the same recipe but instead of cabbage stuff peppers instead. If you use peppers no need to pre-cook them. Just stuff raw peppers and cook until desired done-ness. I enjoy a tiny crunch to my peppers. Hope you like enjoy!

qzl8x17oqn1j.jpg

Replies

• littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you. They sound delicious. Do you have any idea what the calories and serving size are?
  • JordanRay21
    Options
    It depends on how you want them. With one leaf of cabbage that is about 1-1.6 oz. Then I portion my meat into 4oz servings. I calculate it by individual product so with the way I portion things out it comes to roughly 60 cal.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I love cabbage rolls.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage rolls. Nom.
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating these, but onion added to beef mixture. I totally forgot about them as a healthy low calorie dish. So thank you for posting
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I love cabbage rolls.

+1 :)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Love them too! It's also an easy recipe to sneak tons of veggies into...finely diced onions, mushrooms, peppers, carrots all cook up nicely with the meat. You can sub ground Turkey as well if you want, my family doesn't notice or complain.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Will definitely try these.
  • JordanRay21
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Love them too! It's also an easy recipe to sneak tons of veggies into...finely diced onions, mushrooms, peppers, carrots all cook up nicely with the meat. You can sub ground Turkey as well if you want, my family doesn't notice or complain.

My mom so did that when I was younger!