Very confused !!

Options
I've noticed that I can barely make it through a workout because of how fatigued and tired I always am, im a teenager so I don't see why I would have such low energy but does anyone have any suggestions for me ??

Replies

• nateandrews
    Options
    Is this your first time regularly exercising? You might just need to build your stamina up. I remember feeling very fatigued when I started running before I could even hit a mile, but it became less and less of an issue the longer I kept at it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Maybe too big of a calorie deficit, or not enough calories prior to working out. Do either of those apply to you?
  • sarabudic
    sarabudic Posts: 16
    Options
    Well I've been working out for months and I've never felt so tired and fatigued, and today I felt like I was going to pass out @nateandrews‌ and I mean im eating around 1800 a day which isn't very little and I work out about 30 -45 minutes a day so it's not much, but I usually eat something prior to working out @Cherimoose‌
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Rule out medical reasons ... my head goes ... teenager - exhaustion - mononucleosis... because I have teenagers. Low iron (anemia)? Depression? The list is very long. If you are followed by a doctor, rule out all the usual suspects. If you aren't followed by a doc, you might want to find one, because it's a good idea to have one.
    Are you eating enough? Within your day ... are you eating enough protein? Are you hydrated?
    Others will have suggestions ... these came to mind immediately for me. Good luck!
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I suffer from pretty bad exhaustion, too. I've been told that I have low levels of iron in my blood... and poor sleep. I have been prescribed melatonin in the past to help with my sleep, so maybe you should try looking into that? Lots of water might help, too.
  • sarabudic
    Options
    I actually have had suspicions that im anemic, but my parents don't think I am and basically dont believe me. So , I think I'll definitely schedule an appointment and see how it goes. I eat around 1800 calories a day and don't excersise too much, so I don't think it's too little food, but I might look into more protein and drinking more water. Thank you so much for the help!! @4leighbee‌
  • sarabudic
    Options
    thank you so much for that, im starting to really think it's the low iron! I have so many of the symptoms associated with anemia or iron deficiency , I'll definitely go to the doctors and have that checked out. Thanks again!! @FluffySandwich‌
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    sarabudic wrote: »
    I actually have had suspicions that im anemic, but my parents don't think I am and basically dont believe me. So , I think I'll definitely schedule an appointment and see how it goes. I eat around 1800 calories a day and don't excersise too much, so I don't think it's too little food, but I might look into more protein and drinking more water. Thank you so much for the help!! @4leighbee‌

I am prone to anemia, and if I'm not careful - particularly during my cycle - I can get very fatigued. When I was your age (I sound so old and wise ...), I went vegetarian for two years (while running regularly) - but I was not smart about it and could have wound up in the hospital for malnutrition. Good for you for getting to the bottom of it. Fatigue is a tricky symptom to nail down.

This might be good reading for you, too ... just to tuck away. I found this topic interesting as I was researching the hip stress fracture I had basically given myself by not having proper nutrition during my cycle and while training too hard. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/women/a/The-Female-Athlete-Triad.htm.
  • Joel33mfp
    Joel33mfp Posts: 23
    Options
    Like the others says, low iron could do it. Do you crave eating ice? That's a sign of low iron. Is it worse during you period? My gf has low iron and just got the infusion last week. It's the 3rd time in 4 years. It helps so much. It's just some blood work... Get it checked to tile it out. Good luck.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Low iron got me for a bit too closer to my teen years. Now that I'm seeing a doctor for my weigh loss he said what could've happened (which is very similar to your situation) is that you've been doing too much for too long, and you're body finally ran out of the energy to sustain it. I would try cutting back to just 30 mins a day of walking, and do some weight lifting twice a week for only about 20-30 minutes. Make sure you're getting plenty of hydration (if your diet is off, you may be lacking sodium and potassium. Try drinking some coconut water before and after workouts or making sure to get a banana in before and after.) Also make sure you're eating something before your workouts, nothing heavy, a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter should be enough. And most of all listen to your bodies ques. If you start feeling worn out mid-workout, go ahead and stop. It's okay. Also make sure you're body is resting enough. When I workout I make sure to take an iron supplement everyday with no dairy or calcium fortified stuff (as it'll block it.) That helps as well.
    If it keeps up, see if you can talk to your doctor and stress it's an concern. If he's a good doctor he'll listen to you :)
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    Joel33mfp wrote: »
    Like the others says, low iron could do it. Do you crave eating ice? That's a sign of low iron. Is it worse during you period? My gf has low iron and just got the infusion last week. It's the 3rd time in 4 years. It helps so much. It's just some blood work... Get it checked to tile it out. Good luck.

It's not just ice darling - ice just sates it. It's called Pica, usually gotten by pregnant women but can happen to anyone. It's actually a craving for non-food items usually dusty, sandy or chalky in taste and texture. It got real bad while I was pregnant. My husband had to keep me away from construction areas, home depots and anywhere where there might've been chalk or dirt or clay and such because I'd literally be salivating over wanting it.

Here's the real easy test. Much down on some sweettarts or smarties (I've noticed smarties work better), or the sugar dust sticks, anything chalky or dusty that's actually edible. If you eat that and all of a sudden you want more (like, meme style MOAR) then low iron is almost a big fat yes.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Get blood work done before making any kind of self-diagnosis as excess iron damages the body’s tissues and increases the risk of cancers and heart disease.

Taking iron supplements when you feel tired and run down will not help unless you have actually been diagnosed with iron deficiency. There may be another cause for your symptoms.

Since iron supplements are available over the counter, it can be tempting to self-diagnose, but this would be a mistake for many reasons.

TL:DR: See your GP and get tests done if you think you food intake is adequate as it could be any number of reasons for feelings of exhaustion.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    Get blood work done before making any kind of self-diagnosis as excess iron damages the body’s tissues and increases the risk of cancers and heart disease.

Taking iron supplements when you feel tired and run down will not help unless you have actually been diagnosed with iron deficiency. There may be another cause for your symptoms.

Since iron supplements are available over the counter, it can be tempting to self-diagnose, but this would be a mistake for many reasons.

TL:DR: See your GP and get tests done if you think you food intake is adequate as it could be any number of reasons for feelings of exhaustion.

Screw what the rest of us said. Listen to this guy ^^^
    (although the potassium and sodium thing may help, as blood tests don't like to tell you about electrolytes :neutral_face: )
  • sarabudic
    Options
    @Joel33mfp‌ @RaggedyAnnazon‌ @Cryptonomnomicon‌ thank you all so much , I definitely won't self diagnose myself so I'll have to go to the doctors and see what they say. But I'll definitely make sure to eat something small before and after working out and I only work out for about 5 days a week usually because I don't want to over do it. But once again thank you for your time, this really helped out a lot
  • sarabudic
    Options
    @4leighbee‌ I'll totally look into that website, thank you so much :)
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    wonderful -best of luck!
  • Joel33mfp
    Joel33mfp Posts: 23
    Options
    Joel33mfp wrote: »

It's not just ice darling - ice just sates it. It's called Pica, usually gotten by pregnant women but can happen to anyone. It's actually a craving for non-food items usually dusty, sandy or chalky in taste and texture. It got real bad while I was pregnant. My husband had to keep me away from construction areas, home depots and anywhere where there might've been chalk or dirt or clay and such because I'd literally be salivating over wanting it.

Here's the real easy test. Much down on some sweettarts or smarties (I've noticed smarties work better), or the sugar dust sticks, anything chalky or dusty that's actually edible. If you eat that and all of a sudden you want more (like, meme style MOAR) then low iron is almost a big fat yes.

You are right, there is a long list of things people crave with low iron... Ice being at the top of the list, so is ashes and chal like you listed. Either way, I would chose a blood test over your "Smarties test" hahaha
  • sarabudic
    Options
    I went to the doctors and my vitamin D was low, thanks everyone!!!