Weighted Vests

Options
Should I invest in one? I walk about 45 minutes 4/week on top of going to the gym 5 days/week, is it worth it? And how heavy? Anyone with experience? Thanks!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For walking. I wouldn't bother. The added weight won't burn a whole lot more calories. I'd up intensity, add faster intervals, hit some hills/incline, instead.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? If you're preparing to be in the army, a vest is a good idea.
  • leah0750
    leah0750 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Looking to lose over 100 lbs already lost 50, keep hitting plateaus so I'm looking for things to change up my regular routine,
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend not using a weighted vest for walking/running, especially if you are already 50lbs overweight. Instead I'd recommend either switching up your walk with some interval training or changing your location to include some hill climbs
  • andreamyrup1980
    andreamyrup1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree. Just switch up your routine. Try a different machine or speed up with an incline. It will help :)
  • ivanswift760
    ivanswift760 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a heard using a vest while running and walking is bad on the joints. (Better then hand weights however).i use my weight vest when I need more resistance when doing sit ups, push ups, etc. I would suggest more cardio also.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend not using a weighted vest for walking/running, especially if you are already 50lbs overweight. Instead I'd recommend either switching up your walk with some interval training or changing your location to include some hill climbs

+1 save yourself the money and go for increasing endurance, or pace. Walking a more challenging route makes better sense.

Actually id go back to looking at your diet and rechecking your logging/ calories.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Any exercise should be done for other fitness and health purposes (strength, endurance, cardiovascular, mobility, balance, speed, etc.)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Weighted clothing is a good idea if you want to damage your joints.
  • madchapper
    madchapper Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Really? She used to carry around 50 additional pounds I doubt a 10 pound weighted vest is going to harm her joints. I say try it. It will make the exercise harder..increase her heart rate and therefor increase calories burned.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    No. Waste of money, no benefit, and increased risk of injury.

If you want to try something, borrow a backpack and put some weight in it.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Any exercise should be done for other fitness and health purposes (strength, endurance, cardiovascular, mobility, balance, speed, etc.)

Agreed. It's not worth your money at this point. If you aren't losing weight it is because you are miscalculating your intake and/or burns. Increasing exercise could just make that problem worse because you will be hungrier from burning more calories.
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    Options
    If it will get you to workout one more time a week I say go for it.. Anything that motivates you is worth it!!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    go to the gym and lift weights instead. you dont need a weight vest. . you could always pull a weighted wagon on your walk, or push a weighted stroller. you can get those cheap at second hand stores.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    go to the gym and lift weights instead. you dont need a weight vest. . you could always pull a weighted wagon on your walk, or push a weighted stroller. you can get those cheap at second hand stores.

Borrow a siblings/friends child and put them in the wagon, parents get a break, you get added resistance lol
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If you've dropped the weight, why add it back on to your body via a vest? Just change your routine as everyone has suggested. Add some sprints, walking lunges, and readjust your meal plans. Great job on dropping 50lbs so far :)