How do you stay on track while on holidays?

Options
Hiya,

I'm off to sunny Bermuda for three weeks of holiday, but I'm worried about gaining weight, losing muscle and turning into a pumpkin. We'll be staying with friends, drinking to excess, and lazing around on beaches. I will be away from my scale, my routines, and probably eating out more than I'd like.

Anything worked for you folks when it comes to keeping trim, eating well and exercising when away from your supports? FYI- I'm in my early 30's 125-130 pounds, 5'4" and I've been maintaining within 5 lbs of my goal weight for about 10 months.

Thanks!

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm off to sunny Bermuda for three weeks of holiday, but I'm worried about gaining weight, losing muscle and turning into a pumpkin. We'll be staying with friends, drinking to excess, and lazing around on beaches. I will be away from my scale, my routines, and probably eating out more than I'd like.

Anything worked for you folks when it comes to keeping trim, eating well and exercising when away from your supports? FYI- I'm in my early 30's 125-130 pounds, 5'4" and I've been maintaining within 5 lbs of my goal weight for about 10 months.

Thanks!

3 weeks of holiday?

Good luck with that. typically I just work extra hard before, and after, and enjoy the vacation.
  • sebruce92
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on your weight loss, and more importantly, for maintaining it!

Because you've managed to maintain your goal weight for 10 months, its unlikely your body will put on a lot of weight that quickly.

I think the tip is it switch unhealthy substitutes as much as you can (i know it's hard when eating out!) but also you could suggest going on long walks to explore, and swimming during the day, or if its not too hot, go for a run in the early evenings.

Good luck! Let me know how you get on as i'm going on holiday in 6 weeks and will be in the same boat... :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I went on holiday in mid february...I didn't worry about it..but mine was 10 days not 3 weeks.

Best thing to do is just watch portion sizes...use the hand way of estimating

fist=1cup
    thumb tip = 1tsp

etc

you can find it here
    http://blogfoodforthought.com/tag/measure-serving-sizes/

ETA: most importantly tho enjoy yourself and don't stress to much about it...you are on holiday.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I hear you. My DH and I are on holiday this week in Puerto Vallarta. The all inclusive is really difficult (each drink has many calories) guess I'm lucky I don't find this food terribly appetizing!I find myself leaving food on the plate (I usually find that difficult...I was taught to clean my plate!) I am drinking club soda with lime at times so that I don't overdo the calories. I am also doing gym (treadmill, water aerobics as well as treading water ( lots) and walking everyday to see the sights. Hopefully I will be able to stay within maintenance as I find it VERY difficult to lose weight after menopause. Good luck with your holiday...3 weeks...lucky you!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I usually lose weight on holiday, even back before I was trying to deliberately lose weight at home. The reason being that, instead of sitting behind a desk all day and sitting on the couch eating junk food all evening, I'm usually quite active when I travel -- on my feet all day, walking around sightseeing and exploring, lugging a heavy backpack around, climbing ancient ruins or navigating foreign cities or hiking through nature.

Just be active when you travel. Don't obsess about logging everything, and don't deny yourself the pleasures of local food and drink, but don't consume to excess. Go for a run on the beach (amazingly good exercise) or grab a bottle of water and a backpack and visit the sights. Stay moving and you'll lose weight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    Yes ... be active when you travel. Look for adventures that require you to be active.

Run/walk on the beach
    Rent a bicycle and go for a ride or two or three
    Go on hikes
    Go kayaking
    Swim every day
    Take surfing lessons

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Usually when I'm on vacation, and we eat out, I eat only half the meal. But I eat extra slowly, so I finish last, that way, people aren't suspicious. I also skip breakfast and just have coffee. Because we don't do much activity on vacation.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Thanks!

I log and I estimate and I choose foods and portions with care

And I go for long walks, swims
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jealous of a 3 week vacation! LOL

we are leaving in a week and a half for our (week long, lol) vacation.

I will log in daily, but i dont expect my diary logging to be accurate, and im not going to worry about it too much.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Avoid fried foods, get baked, broiled or grilled.

If french fries are a side, ask for a substitute of veggies instead.

Salad dressings, mayo, sour cream and sauces will add extra calories as well. Get those "on the side" if you can so you can control it a bit.

When I eat sandwiches, I skip the cheese, mayo, or oils to make lower calorie and put more veggies on it.

The harder one for me is the bread and butter. I will have 1 piece instead of eating the whole bread basket.

Have FUN!!!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions here - watch portion sizes, substitute for lower cal. foods when you can and stay active. Most of my vacations tend to involve a lot of walking/swimming and I never feel the need to eat everything on my plate just because it's there.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Thanks!

Yeah just go and have fun...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Don't use the holidays as an excuse to slack off, IMO. Try to keep active and be mindful about what you eat... Ask for substitutes, pick what seems the best choice etc... You can enjoy yourself without eating 3000 calories a day.

I'd eat at a small deficit the month prior just in case though.