Two years and counting...

shaynepoole
shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
edited March 2015 in Success Stories
This was me two years ago...
206289_1838239487387_2407861_n.jpg?oh=0dd6602bc70e5aeac482a43df1db4a80&oe=55BBD2F9

I had been heavy all of my adult life... for example, here is a college picture from 20 years ago for comparison
25775_1382977571731_6806245_n.jpg?oh=a764890f8abebf0ce7ba143faf5a2868&oe=55B9934C&__gda__=1433952364_a7fdbbbf0d92937d6d5d5d6a9c3e0e47

Notice that I said all of my adult life :) yes, I did this to myself when I left home at 15 which is why I was plus sized by college - there are some psychological reasons behind it, but ultimately this was all my doing

Two years ago I made a serious decision to finally take off (and keep off) the weight. I was in poor health with diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart conditions and at 340 lbs or so, I had finally hit my breaking point. At his point I was having constant back pain and unable to walk a block down the street without feeling as if I had just finished a marathon. I went to my GP who of course said it was all weight related (as all of my health conditions were) and passed me the name of another doctor who had success with helping people lose weight again. I say again because she had previously suggested I go see this doctor and of course I didn't listen. But this time I was ready.

So I called and made the appointment and had a consultation with this new doctor. She promised fantastic results and I was extremely skeptical, but at this point, what did I have to lose? It would either work or not work, in which case I would just be where I already was. So after waiting for all of the medical tests and all of my other doctors approval, at the end of March 2013, I was finally ready to start the program.

I got the diet plan and was immediately taken aback - the diet was so strict that my brain went WTF? but still determined to give it a shot I plodded along. I will tell you that I had the most fantastic food fantasies involving mountains of bagels those first couple of months. But the weight came off and I started to learn how to cook (yes, I was never the cook in the house)
And I started actually enjoying cooking and enjoying the end results :)

It took about 13 months to lose 170lbs when I decided to come off the diet as I had far exceeded any of my hopes (initially I just wanted to be out of plus size clothing, not a real actual weight goal)

I then started maintenance, and lost about another 20lbs and settled around the 140-150lb mark. Now I eat pretty much everything :) as long as it fits into my 1800 calorie diet and into the goals I follow for proteins and carbs.

Along the way, I stopped taking insulin and metformin for the diabetes and just watch it with what I eat. I got retested for the sleep apnea and lost that diagnosis, my blood pressure is normal now. I walk between 1-3 miles daily, no back pain at all :)

This is what I look like now for comparison with losing about 200lbs total

11022559_10205790982031015_115308042687406446_n.jpg?oh=b167e2c37329ffcbc48d7f002261d176&oe=557BA552

I guess this rather long winded post has to come to an end so I will get to the point

things I learned along the way
1) it is never too late to make a change (I started at 42)
2) who knew, losing weight actually does have a positive influence on your body
3) any kind of exercise works - you do not need to spend hours at a gym - or run at full speed - just move and do something you like and will do again
4) IMO, I eat better and more than I did when I weighed 200 lbs more
5) MFP is a great resource and community for support and tracking - thanks to everyone out there

Thanks for reading my long winded post and I hope everyone has a great day

Replies

• caitlinbrianne0817
    caitlinbrianne0817 Posts: 36 Member
    You done amazing! Congratulations!! Can't wait till I get to post a success story!
  • leia435
    leia435 Posts: 3 Member
    You look great - congratulations! You're proof that if you stick with something and work hard enough, results will come! Thank you for sharing your story!
  • ceciliac66
    ceciliac66 Posts: 1 Member
    Wow, you have done just wonderful! A true inspiration to all of us! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    What a fabulous gift you have given to yourself ...great attitude, great work. You should be busting with pride.
  • LouiseHappy
    LouiseHappy Posts: 18 Member
    This is so inspirational! Thank you for sharing, this sure will help many to get started and not to give up, including myself. You are a completely different person in those two pictures! You are Amazing, so proud of you!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Great work. Congrats!
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Wow, you look fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Incredible! I need to show this to my mom!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Wow, wow, wow.......what an AMAZING accomplishment! You look fantastic. And you're so healthy now!!! Congratulations - way to rock it!
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    You are a rock star! You look so confident in your last pic. :)
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Wow. You look amazing and your results are incredibly impressive. :D
  • taraphannaford
    taraphannaford Posts: 49 Member
    This is so awesome and inspiring, you really turned your life around and that is such an accomplishment! Go you! :)
  • dsmay03
    dsmay03 Posts: 13 Member
    Amazing!!!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Wow lass! I'm lost for words, in a very good way :-)
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    That's great about your health issues! Congratulations, you look fantastic!
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Fabulous story!
  • enchanted_daydream
    enchanted_daydream Posts: 258 Member
    Wonderful work! You look fantastic!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Thanks everyone :)
  • Oliver1967
    Oliver1967 Posts: 21 Member
    You have done amazing. I noticed your calorie budget of 1800 calories. Is that the # you ate while losing or just while in maintance.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Congratulations, that is inspirational!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!