New runner.

Options

Replies

• parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I started C25k in June of 2014. I had never been a natural athlete and I always hated running while growing up. I went from hating running, to tolerating it because I consistently lost weight while doing it, to loving running. I lost my first 20 lbs on C25k and ran my first-ever full mile while doing the program. I completed C210k as well!

Hmm...don't go out and run right after you eat. Give your body some time to digest your food. For example, today, I just ate a lighter lunch. So if I wanted to go out and run this afternoon, I'm going to wait probably a good hour or two before going out. If I had a heavy meal, I'd wait at least 3 hours or more before going out.

I used to stretch before doing a warm-up of walking, then stretch after my runs.

YouTube videos on how to properly breathe, how to land your foot and how to have a good stride & posture while running.

A great app that a former friend recommended to me (besides the C25k app) was RockMyRun. They create playlists based off of different genres of music, BPM (beats per minute/tempo), length of time, etc. I found myself pushing myself farther and longer without realizing it because I'd have some kickass playlists to help me get through my runs! Music is great :)

I now do weight lifting once or twice a week, but I honestly credit almost all of my weight loss on running! 42 lbs down, 11 lbs to go to my ultimate goal weight :)
  • rlmiller216
    rlmiller216 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey MaryKate! :smile:

Awesome that you're taking up running. A lot if great advice on here has already been given but I think the "take it slow" message is worth repeating. Seriously don't feel the need to kill yourself speed-or distance-wise; it will suck all the joy out of running for you!

Also if you have a Roadrunner Sports near you it is absolutely the best place to buy shoes - they'll do this whole gait analysis on you for free and can fit you for orthotics if you need them.

Cheers and enjoy your first trots!
  • Misslillian123
    Misslillian123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nike plus app helps me its addictive - no food before I run or I get a stitch usually just wake up get up and go so I don't even have to time to think about and talk myself out of it :) 13km done at the weekend so it works for me
    -
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just started running and was wondering if anyone had some "beginner" advice. I am prone to shin splints even with new shoes.

I'm starting with a walk/run method and hopefully going up from there.

Lots of advice in this thread, some of it relevant, some of it only really relevant if you get into long distances.

I would suggest keeping it very simple initially, use a structured plan like C25K to help you progress whilst minimising your injury risk.

Early on you're not doing much distance, you're only out for 30 minutes or so, so there isn't really anythin that you need to think about in terms of eating, as long as you're having a reasonable diet anyway. Once you're in the 15Km session range then it's worth thinking about pre-fuelling, although many people will do anything up to half marathon on an empty stomach.

There is a thread at the top of this forum; So you want to start running. Read the main post and some of the follow ups in there.

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just started running and was wondering if anyone had some "beginner" advice. I am prone to shin splints even with new shoes.

I'm starting with a walk/run method and hopefully going up from there.

Lots of advice in this thread, some of it relevant, some of it only really relevant if you get into long distances.

I would suggest keeping it very simple initially, use a structured plan like C25K to help you progress whilst minimising your injury risk.

Early on you're not doing much distance, you're only out for 30 minutes or so, so there isn't really anythin that you need to think about in terms of eating, as long as you're having a reasonable diet anyway. Once you're in the 15Km session range then it's worth thinking about pre-fuelling, although many people will do anything up to half marathon on an empty stomach.

There is a thread at the top of this forum; So you want to start running. Read the main post and some of the follow ups in there.

Yeah this is what I was thinking when reading through responses. Two things I wish people had told me when I started running: go SLOW (like, sometimes I was so slow that people were walking past me) and keep it consistent. I tended to lose my "running fitness" really quickly if I skipped too many days in between runs. Running 3-4 times a week (or every other day if that's not too much for you) was perfect. Also, speed improves as distance improves, so there's no point in going too fast now only to get completely winded and discouraged. Have fun!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    this post is worth a read:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running

I think the covers alot of the FAQs

Feel free to friend me if you want another newer running buddy

ETA: I struggeled with shin splints when I first started, got them being pushed too hard too fast. Mine were really bad at one point, like if you touched my leg after a run it was enough to make me cry, so I took time off to let them get better. When I came back smarter I still payed attention to them, if I thought it felt like they were coming back I tried to head off the problem. A few things that worked for me: getting better shoes, alternating surfaces (I was mostly doing road running but if I felt shin soreness I would hit the treadmill or trails for a softer surface). I have also lost 40 lbs since I started so its definitely possible that had a large effect on their going away.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This may sound strange - but you *HAVE* to actually eat food BEFORE you run. I can't tell my car to move and then reward it with petrol,and I can't tell my body to run and then reward it with food. Well you can if you had carb within the last 12 hours, sometimes, if you're lucky.

This isn't true. Plenty of people prefer running on an empty stomach. All about what works for you.
  • msullivan1979
    msullivan1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    This may sound strange - but you *HAVE* to actually eat food BEFORE you run. I can't tell my car to move and then reward it with petrol,and I can't tell my body to run and then reward it with food. Well you can if you had carb within the last 12 hours, sometimes, if you're lucky.

This isn't true. Plenty of people prefer running on an empty stomach. All about what works for you.

I run every day on an empty stomach sometimes over an hour. I can't eat before a big run which is why I do my running around 6AM.
  • jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was definitely not a runner, and I don't know that I could qualify as one even now, but I know the method that worked for me to help develop endurance. I would start out walking briskly and then I would look ahead in the distance and make a goal for myself. I would start running and push myself to make it to the "designated" mailbox or telephone pole and if I could continue to push past my goal then I would keep running. If not, I would slow to a brisk walk until I felt that I was ready to continue. In the beginning I would walk about 50% of the time, and after a few weeks I found myself running swiftly through my course, and only slowing to walk maybe once or twice.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I run my mid-week runs fasted after a little coffee and going to the bathroom. For long runs on the weekend (over an hour) I have half of an English muffin with jam about an hour before I head out. I've tried a lot of different things but that seems to be the only thing that prevents stomach problems and keeps me feeling energized throughout my whole run.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

I'll second this. For shorter runs (under an hour) food isn't absolutely necessary, though some people need it more than others.

I just do coffee before morning runs of less than an hour. Works absolutely fine for me. I do eat before long runs (oatmeal, 1 scoop pb, 1 banana--never anything else :smiley: ) and if I workout at night, I'll have eaten, but I don't necessarily plan for it.
  • loratliff
    Options
    alpine1994 wrote: »
    I run my mid-week runs fasted after a little coffee and going to the bathroom. For long runs on the weekend (over an hour) I have half of an English muffin with jam about an hour before I head out. I've tried a lot of different things but that seems to be the only thing that prevents stomach problems and keeps me feeling energized throughout my whole run.

I do exactly the same, funnily enough, right down to the English muffin. :smiley:
  • seric2000
    seric2000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Way to go, girl! Figuring out what works for you food-wise is just trial and error. You will soon learn what you can stomach before a run and what you can't. My best tip is splurge for a pair of running shoes that are perfect for YOU. Get fitted at a running store for the right shoes. In my opinion, the shoes make all the difference. Try loading some songs you like onto your player and only listen while you run...a little incentive for yourself. Keep at it! :wink:
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some awesome advice here! I wanted to add two things.

First, I agree that you don’t “have” to eat before you run. I also run on an empty stomach (or at least hours after a meal, if I run in the evenings) and it works much better for me. Food before running makes my tummy ache and makes me sleepy…

Second, I do highly recommend you get the right shoes for you. I stuck to the same model of Asics for two years and had really bad IT band inflammation after running. I never put two and two together until I changed my shoes recently and the problem stopped. Not to say Asics aren’t good shoes, the specific model just did all the wrong things for me.

If anyone is keen I’ve had great results with the Mizuno shoe finder (http://www.myprecisionfit.com/test/welcome?lang=en_US&noAnswerSelected=&noMobile=) and staff at the Running Room.

Good luck and have fun! :smile:
  • loratliff
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    Try loading some songs you like onto your player and only listen while you run...a little incentive for yourself.

This also works great with audiobooks—you'll want to go running so you know what happens in the book!
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You all are awesome!! :) Thank you so very much for all the insight!!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My advice: sign up for a race. :) I'd definitely steer you to a distance like a 5K (3.1 miles). It's an amazing feeling to work for a goal like that and then cross that finish line. It really makes you identify as a runner! I find having races on the calendar keeps me accountable to train and not slack off.

I've been doing races for 15 years now and am currently training for my 6th half marathon in May.... feel free to friend me if you'd like!
  • marykate_1203
    Options
    That's awesome! Way to go-- I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for a race!
  • DaveyNH
    DaveyNH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You know what fixed my shin splints? Losing 10 pounds. No joke.
  • marykate_1203
    Options
    Thank you for all the insight and advice!