Budget workout wear (UK)

Options
Hey there,

I'm just getting started and have a limited budget and some old gear. I was wondering what general opinions of Tesco and Primark were for trainers? Obviously they're not super high tech, but they seem fairly decent for a good price, especially for right now until I figure out which activities work best for me and what I really want.

Any recommendations for budget UK gear? I really don't want to spend more than ~£10 on trainers/clothes right now.

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'd try sports direct before a supermarket. You'll find some good deals there
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    sports direct/ ebay

tbh im in the gym all the time and apart from some of the females in pristine gear plus all the resolutioners in brand new trainers, then people wear any old rubbish.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/

If you are in the North then Wynsors is ok. Its just trainers so i dont think it matters for the gym.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My vote is for Sports Direct. I really like the Karrimor X-Lite running gear.
  • CarbingTemptation
    CarbingTemptation Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm avoiding the gym for now, it's just not my scene but I need something for running and to be able to move around in.

I'm not keen on buying from ebay because it's normally unlabelled (and I think I'd trust the highstreet more) and also because of sizing.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've sold trainers on eBay before.

I get most of my gym stuff from Sports Direct. I buy decent trainers though, usually Nike, and they last me ages.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Perfectly fine from ebay. Not as though £10 gives you a lot of options. You need to know your size and be confident it fits. Think you might be challenged to get even £10 trainers from Sports Direct?
  • CarbingTemptation
    CarbingTemptation Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I mean that's an ideal until I properly get into it...

Wondered what general opinion was is all :)
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    For gear Asda does a decent range of activewear for under a tenner. Trainers is gonna be tough at that price though unless you are lucky enough like me to have kiddy size feet but even then I look at 30ish for a pair of trainers just to knock about in. Ebay can be ok I got lucky with the last pair I bought
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Decathalon is well worth checking out as well. Its a european chain, and so the brands are unfamiliar (and very cheap) and yet its all quality stuff.

I kitted my daughter out with everything she needed to go camping with the scouts for £60 (boots, trousers, fleeces, coat, under layers, long johns, camping chair...)
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Personally I always look on Amazon and Ebay (only higher rated members to ensure authenticity).
    I got a great compression suit on Amazon a few weeks ago and it worked out about 60% less than buying it in sports direct (which is already a pretty low priced shop!).

I go through so many workout tops and bottoms that I'm constantly on the hunt for bargains with them! Amazon and Ebay ftw!
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yeah Decathlon has a good range of things from cheap budget things up to high tech more expensive items/brands.

Rather than focusing on something cheap/disposable, why not buy something that you'd be happy to wear even if you aren't working out, that way you don't feel like you are potentially wasting money?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I'm just getting started and have a limited budget and some old gear. I was wondering what general opinions of Tesco and Primark were for trainers? Obviously they're not super high tech, but they seem fairly decent for a good price, especially for right now until I figure out which activities work best for me and what I really want.

Any recommendations for budget UK gear? I really don't want to spend more than ~£10 on trainers/clothes right now.

i second sports direct - Karrimor is a good cheap brand from there.

If you're going to be running then get trainers that are fitted for you, not from Primark.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I rate Primark's workout clothes. I'd been eyeing up a pair of grey and black kind of tiger-print Adidas capris but didn't want to pay £28, and I got an alomst identical copy in Primark for £7 that fit really well.

For trainers, sportsshoes.com always has good discounts.
  • Hazellae
    Hazellae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely second Sports Direct but try the website as they have cheaper stuff there than in stores! My hubby got some decent running shoes for £8 online the other day!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you're running - it is worth getting a decent pair of running shoes to avoid injuries rather than wearing rubbish cheap trainers.