Will take forever

Options
Hi everyone, will take forever as I'm a big girl, at least 6st to lose.
I did lose a couple of stone 7 years ago with the Tesco diet, but my Dad developed cancer and my diet went to pot and later when Dad died it went altogether, I had my Mum to care for she didn't cope at all after Dad had gone, 18 months I had her to the doctor, he had her to the hospital for a head scan then she was diagnosed with Lewy Bodies, it is a terrible form of dementia, she suffered until Aug 2013, we lost her, but it was a blessing for her, its what she wanted from the day Dad died, 61 years they were married, its a long time and she never got over losing him.
Well I think now is the time to start thinking about me, I have arthritis just about all over now, I find any form exercise very difficult, big problems with back, shoulders, knee's and I can't stand longer than 5 mins at a time, I have started doing sit ups and leg rises in bed,
My O/H does our big shop on Tuesdays so tomorrow will be day one.
Any help and suggestions would be great,
Sorry if I have gone on a bit but I think its best to tell my story first.

Thanks for listening, and can I just say a big welcome to all the new people just joining like myself.

Lynn

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about what you have had to go through. I have lost my dad too. I miss him so much.

We who tend to overeat have a lifelong struggle ahead of us, not just while we're losing weight. But I think it's worth the effort.

Having a normal weight won't solve every problem, but some ailments will be relieved.
  • jackstraw67201
    jackstraw67201 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Lynn, I also had a 5yr run of personal hardship. One morning I woke up and weighed myself and found I was close to 400 pounds. Im now 228, and still losing. Dont get discouraged, you can do it. Welcome!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just because something takes a long time doesnt mean it wont be worthwhile. You can do it if you pace yourself and commit. Please get smart and spend time learning abut weight loss, learn to log and weigh your food. Look at the forums and learn how to avoid the problems many new dieters make. Get friends if you need support.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started out with 5 stone to lose. I'm now down 2 stone. It's taken me 8 months to do that - but I've done it, and I've kept it off and I'm still losing (even if I'm losing slowly). I choose to focus on that. I'm thrilled that the scales are registering me at a weight I hadn't seen in years - and that helps me keep going. I feel much better about myself already! I try not to focus on what I've still got to lose if I did I'd feel like chucking the towel in!

It took me 10 years to put that weight on - I'm going to lose it more quickly than that (I hope!!!). But in the meantime I have a life to live and as long as the number on the scale goes down - it's all good.

You can do this - just take it one step at a time.
  • Ashley_Ann24
    Ashley_Ann24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also very sorry to hear about your loss. But remember it's just a number and you can always lost it. Couple years ago I weighed myself and was 3 pounds shy of 300. With excerise in two years I was 250. With this app that I began this year I've lost 25 and still going. Currently weighing 223 today. I still can't believe this app did all tht for me. Wish I started years ago. I was never one of those people who ate when I got upset but I would always be one who kept eating until I'm over full. The issue im personally having now is I haven't hit the gym not once since I started this and I've noticed that my body needs to or it won't be tone. It's all kinda falling in places as other places are sill same size like my calfs. So diet and excerise are meant to be together. Good luck!!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sorry for what's happened

That said - it won't take forever to feel better .. you'll feel better along the journey, miles before you hit your end destination .. perhaps this time next month you'll be thinking how glad you are you started this journey

good luck

you've got this
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Just remember it may take a long time, but time is going to pass whether you do it losing weight or not. A year from now, you'll be so happy you started this today.
  • WendyZ82
    WendyZ82 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The time will pass no matter what so now is as good a time as any to start working on your fitness goals. I'm very sorry for your loss. I wish you the best on all your goals and I have full faith that you can achieve them.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You've had a rough time of it. All the best to you!
  • luv2avfun
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your stories and support, I joined a on line club and lost 2 stone
    and felt better in myself until my Dad started being ill, then I fell off the wagon big time,
    The club more or less insisted on breakfast and drinking as near to 2 ltr of water, I wasn't used to either, but I do believe these 2 points were my biggest help in loosing the weight I did, I felt the water was coming out of my ears and at first I was never of the toilet lol,
    my breakfast mainly consisted of porridge oats, I added different things to it, banana, apple, peaches, plums, strawberry's, grapes just any fruit available, I also introduced
    myself to juicing and the home made smoothie.
    then anything I could throw on the Forman grill with veg or salad, I didn't tend to eat much bread or potato but I did have pasta bows and home made tomato sauce, or the was a nice and easy lemon pasta recipe that I liked, so I'm hoping it will work again although I was a lot more active running our fish and chip shop with my husband, so fingers crossed .
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It will work as long as you are at a consistent deficit. Many people have oatmeal for breakfast. Find the diet which works for you as well as moderate. Sorry youve had such a tough time, but the good thing his site will affirm is that its perfectly possible to lose that weight even if your journey is a long one.