Calling all physio's or medical people!

Options
hi all, I'm so thoroughly hacked off tonight!!

Played football this evening and once again my left quad is in agony. It feels like it completely tightens up to a point where it will snap.

Can anyone give me any insight as to why this might be happening?

I had a left inguinal hernia operation last year, would that have Affected muscle tissue that side or made it considerably weaker?

I stopped playing football for 6 months months due to the op I had but I've been working out since January and I'm fitter and lighter than I've ever been so I cannot understand this and it's making me completely fed up.

So I'm typing this whilst sitting here with an ice pack!

Thanks in advance...

Replies

• mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Did you ever do any physical therapy or rehab for your quads/hip flexors or did you just rest? If it's the latter, they probably atrophied and are not strong enough to accommodate activity like football anymore. Either way, stretching and strengthening exercises should help.
  • boredfatman
    boredfatman Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do any strengthening exercises after my op for fear of tearing my incision, in fact it still pulls and feels sore even though it was 6 months ago!!

Any suggestions on the best exercises to strengthen my quads?

Thanks for your help...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Try this:
    Stand with your feet at shoulder width apart toes slightly out.
    Clasp your hands together over your head.
    Squat down to below to or below parallel with your chest still vertical.
    Your knees should track to your two outside toes on each foot.
    Also, you should be square all the way down and up (not tilting or knee collapsing to one side or the other).

If you can easily get into a full squat like this, then I’m wrong. But if you can’t, you likely have some mobility issues in your hips and perhaps your ankles. The tightness in your quad may be your musculature adjusting this shortened range of motion (particularly if one side is less mobile than the other).

Edit to add: I’m not a doctor or medical professional, just a personal trainer and an individual who has mobility issues.

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The Femoral Nerve runs right next to the inguinal crease and innervates the quad. It may have been damaged during the surgery or have scar tissue that has built up and is now putting pressure on it.
  • boredfatman
    Options
    Thank you both for your helpful replies. I will try the squat technique you suggest.

Also nice to know that the hernia op may have damaged the surrounding nerves etc, I can at least attribute it to something.
  • boredfatman
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The Femoral Nerve runs right next to the inguinal crease and innervates the quad. It may have been damaged during the surgery or have scar tissue that has built up and is now putting pressure on it.

Is that likely to get better over time or is it a case of tough luck?!
  • SleeplessInSeattle
    SleeplessInSeattle Posts: 395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    An interesting article: http://www.healthline.com/health/femoral-nerve-dysfunction#Overview1

Quote: In most cases, this condition will go away without treatment. However, medications and physical therapy may be used if symptoms do not improve