Advocare

Options
Has anyone here tried Advocare? I start personal training once I finish the fitness boot camp I'm doing and am thinking about doing the 24 day challenge with it. Has anyone tried it that is semi sensitive to caffeine? I can have about 2 cups of coffee a day without feeling jittery so just wonder how others felt about it. Thanks :)

Replies

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    my friend is an advocare rep so i tried it in january. it was horrible. the caffeine was so strong, and so much. it is equivalent to about 10 can cokes. i couldn't sleep at night (even when i took the pills early in the day) it also caused terrible constipation. i only lost about 2 lbs and i was faithful to everything. when i had about 3-4 days left, i threw it out. i love the Spark product and i still do use that. it was the 28-day challenge that was awful. HTH
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! My old boss and his wife were both involved with it. She now has an odd liver disease that can't be diagnosed and her doctor is thinking a transplant may be necessary while he has had horrible kidney problems for the last 6 months!

That stuff is nothing but sugar replacements and caffeine. They both lost weight really fast and went from being relatively healthy overweight people to pretty sickly thinner people.

I mean, I'm not against a very low calorie diet, my goal is at 890, but I usually do eat a bit above that. But, this stuff is suspicious. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole much less ingest it.
  • saralynrice
    Options
    I tried it. It's very expensive, and u don't need the products they sell to lose weight, the diet it fine. But you don't need to spend a million dollars to lose weight. I did it and lost about 8 pounds and kept it off, but quit using their products and following their meal plan. I didn't have mfp back then though, and mfp and iifym are what I use now.... And they are both free, and work way better
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Why do people make weight loss so complicated?
  • pdauro
    pdauro Posts: 1
    Options
    I started the 24 day challenge 10 days ago this past Sunday. I completed the cleanse phase and Sunday was my first day on the max phase using MNS 3. I am not much for caffeine and usually only drink water so I drink spark at 1/2 the recommended amount. 1/2 scoop to 1 bottle of water. According to plan, you drink spark 30 minutes before breakfast and take the 1st yellow packet of supplements.
    30-45 minutes after I did I began to feel lightheaded, dizzy, heartbeat racing, increased pulse in my blood pressure shot up.
    I ended up at ER and where I took all the products with me. They thought I was going to have either a stroke or heart attack. It was eventually diagnosed as naicin overload to my system. The Spark is 300% and the supplements are 250% with it also present in meal replacement shakes as well. The doctor said I was lucky that day.
    The imbalance of electrolytes in my system due to cleanse combined with naicin overload and caffeine nearly killed me.
    Be careful folks. Just because it considered a health supplement does not mean it is healthy.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    pdauro wrote: »
    I started the 24 day challenge 10 days ago this past Sunday. I completed the cleanse phase and Sunday was my first day on the max phase using MNS 3. I am not much for caffeine and usually only drink water so I drink spark at 1/2 the recommended amount. 1/2 scoop to 1 bottle of water. According to plan, you drink spark 30 minutes before breakfast and take the 1st yellow packet of supplements.
    30-45 minutes after I did I began to feel lightheaded, dizzy, heartbeat racing, increased pulse in my blood pressure shot up.
    I ended up at ER and where I took all the products with me. They thought I was going to have either a stroke or heart attack. It was eventually diagnosed as naicin overload to my system. The Spark is 300% and the supplements are 250% with it also present in meal replacement shakes as well. The doctor said I was lucky that day.
    The imbalance of electrolytes in my system due to cleanse combined with naicin overload and caffeine nearly killed me.
    Be careful folks. Just because it considered a health supplement does not mean it is healthy.

Niacin is notorious for causing horrible side effects (ie "the niacin flush"). Patients come in with niacin flush to the ER routinely from supplements like these thinking they're having anaphylactic reactions.

Niacin flush is incredible disconcerting and uncomfortable but it won't kill you. Sounds like a fairly typical reaction, given the caffeine certainly exacerbated it.
  • jaymie_elizabeth
    jaymie_elizabeth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 24 day challenge, lost 15 lbs. I did the modified challenge as I'm still nursing. I'm not going to continue buying the supplements but it did help jump start my weight loss and got me into better eating habits.

contrary to what people think, it's not a low calorie meal plan. it can be, or it can be higher calorie. it all depends on what you eat.

my days looked like this: eggs plus egg whites and raspberries for breakfast, protein shake (my own, not theirs) mid morning, taco salad (turkey meat, spinach, tomatoes, onion, black olives ) for lunch, apple and pb for afternoon snack, and lean steak or chicken breast with asparagus and sweet potatoes for dinner. I averaged about 1800 to 1900 calories a day.

I didn't experience any negative side effects like some of the previous posters , but like I said, I did the modified challenge (different supplements, no cleanse pills)..
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am the odd one out. I love Spark! That being said, I do not drink coffee, soda or anything else besides water. I also love their multi vitamin, it is missing the one vitamin that I cannot take. As for the 24 day challenge, it is very expensive and has too many pills. I felt very sick on the second phase. I would never do it again. That is just way too much for my body.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Even the AdvoCare literature they have on their website says you should see some results without using their products just by following their recommended food plan.
    My husband did the challenge, had great results, loved it and is continuing to use their products religiously
    I did the challenge a couple of years ago, had ok results and no complaints. I'm actually planning on doing it again soon to see if I can get better results than I am with just clean eating.

I do love SPARK though. Its comparable to my 1-2 cups of coffee/day in caffeine and I can tell a difference in my energy level throughout the day and ability to focus verses when I don't drink it. But I also like coffee so I don't drink SPARK every day.

Since hubby is continuing to buy products we registered as distributors recently to save money on the products he is buying.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'd rather do cocaine. I suspect it's healthier.

I can't believe someone upthread said they were taking this stuff while breastfeeding :(:(:(
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    pdauro wrote: »

Niacin is notorious for causing horrible side effects (ie "the niacin flush"). Patients come in with niacin flush to the ER routinely from supplements like these thinking they're having anaphylactic reactions.

Niacin flush is incredible disconcerting and uncomfortable but it won't kill you. Sounds like a fairly typical reaction, given the caffeine certainly exacerbated it.

I take niacin and used to love that flush, I don't get it anymore. :disappointed::cry:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Is it a weight loss/health/fitness product sold via multi-level marketing?

If you answer yes to the above question, stay away.

You'll never go wrong following this plan.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I'd rather do cocaine. I suspect it's healthier.

I can't believe someone upthread said they were taking this stuff while breastfeeding :(:(:(

I can't even...

Also, the one who's like "Oh, this *kitten* will kill you. But there's nothing wrong with eating 800 calories per day, that's totally cool."
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! My old boss and his wife were both involved with it. She now has an odd liver disease that can't be diagnosed and her doctor is thinking a transplant may be necessary while he has had horrible kidney problems for the last 6 months!

That stuff is nothing but sugar replacements and caffeine. They both lost weight really fast and went from being relatively healthy overweight people to pretty sickly thinner people.

I mean, I'm not against a very low calorie diet, my goal is at 890, but I usually do eat a bit above that. But, this stuff is suspicious. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole much less ingest it.

What?! You eat 890 calories a day?! That's not okay. Not one bit.

I love Spark. I drink that, sometimes daily, sometimes before a workout. The results are a from a calorie deficit, not from the products. I used the eating plan when I attempted to switch from low carb to help keep me on track incorporating carbs without going over calories. I logged calories and hovered around 1200-1400 calories daily.