Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Confession

Options
I have never used a slow cooker, but own 3. Today, I've decided to take one out of the box and start using it. Of course I can google some recipes, but I'd like to hear from you all.....what are some healthy crock pot recipe suggestions??? I thought I'd start by making some baby Lima beans....Any tips/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!!

Replies

• emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One of our favorites is to take all your normal fajita fixings and toss them all together. Chicken, bell peppers, onions, taco seasonings (personal preference). I usually cut the chicken into bite sized pieces or smaller (I have not tried whole and then shredding yet). Set it on medium for a minimum of about 6 hours. The raw veggies, and the chicken to a point, will give off enough water to tun it into a stew/soup. We dish it out into bowls, add a bit of sour cream and cheese and eat as a dip with your favorite tortilla chips. Or, dish it out with the sour cream and cheese and crush the tortilla chips and eat as a stew.

The best part about crock pots is that you can turn almost any meal into a crock pot meal. The recipe above was an experiment. One suggestion is that until you know how your crock pots cook, keep an eye on them. Some run a bit hot, some cool. Have fun experimenting!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Shoulder of mutton.
    Rosemary and garlic.
    Water.

Set on high all day.

Strip it from the bone and eat however you see fit.
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I put 3 or 4 frozen chicken breast in and cover with buffalo hot sauce (very few calories) and sometimes also a buffalo spice I have. After 6 hrs on low it shreds and is so versatile. Can eat alone, in rice, on spaghetti squash or pasta, in tacos or wraps, etc. Its high in protein and so versatile! Lasts a few days
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    ~2lbs Frozen boneless skinless chicken breast
    ~2-3 lb Yukon gold potatoes
    ~1 lb carrots
    1ranch dressing packet
    1 can cream of mushro soup
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup water

Cook on low 6 hours. Simple, very little prep and delicious!! I don't peel the potatoes, just quarter them, and I use baby carrots. Takes 10 minutes to prepare

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I put 3 or 4 frozen chicken breast in and cover with buffalo hot sauce (very few calories) and sometimes also a buffalo spice I have. After 6 hrs on low it shreds and is so versatile. Can eat alone, in rice, on spaghetti squash or pasta, in tacos or wraps, etc. Its high in protein and so versatile! Lasts a few days

Do you use the buffalo powder? ( I think it's supposed to be to make dip). This sounds awesome!
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts, Pace salsa, peach preserves. I generally serve over rice with a side salad.
  • sanboogie
    sanboogie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My simple go to is boneless skinless chicken breasts with fat free Italian dressing, add water to cover. Cook on low all day or high for a few hours.

You can serve this any way you want. Our fave is as soft tacos - shred and put in whole wheat tortilla shells with lots of lettuce and other veggies some shredded cheddar cheese and a little taco sauce. We also serve over brown rice or quinoa. Leftovers are gear for chicken salad or casseroles.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Just had beef stew in ours yesterday:

In the morning, I browned the following

1-2 pounds stew beef
    celery
    Onion

and tossed in the crockpot with the following, set on High.

3 large russet potatoes, large dice
    about half a pound of carrots
    can diced tomatoes
    some red wine

About mid afternoon, I added a container of mushrooms, quartered, and reduced the heat to low.

Dinnertime, nom nom nom.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    NOOOO, don't start with a lovely tender vegetable. Cook your baby lima beans MAYBE an hour tops in your slow cooker. You don't want mush.

HERE'S a great beginner slow cooker recipe.
    http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Slow-cooker+32/Pulled-pork-buns-recipe+2219.htm
  • conradCLE
    Options
    get low sugar bbq sauce and some chicken breasts its crazy. Like your are at a bbq shack.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Made this today- budgetbytes.com/2013/09/slow-cooker-white-bean-soup/
    I did soak my beans overnight and drained off the soaking water before putting them in the slow cooker. I did not reduce the water in the recipe and it was fine. I added some ham and a little more olive oil and did not mash the beans. It made quite a bit and was very filling. My dd frequently does not like new things but cleaned her bowl and declared it good.
  • Agarland34
    Agarland34 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the tips/suggestions. I'll be putting them all to good use. :-)
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For quick and easy, throw in a few chicken thighs, a jar of salsa, a can of black beans (drained), a teaspoon of Dijon mustard and let it cook on low for around 4 hours. Stir through some corn and sour cream before serving with rice or tortillas. For something a little more impressive, try a tagine with something like chicken things, canned tomatoes, capsicum, onion, olives, preserved lemon, turmeric and cumin. Cook it on low 4 - 5 hours and serve it with cous cous. It's delicious