How often do you "indulge/cheat"??

Options
I know what everyone says, one day/one meal won't hurt etc etc. However, I find it very shaming and feel very guilty if I'm in the red. I feel like I am starting over after one bad day or one bad meal. I wish I could throw down a cookie, or a couple pieces of pizza once a week, or once a month, but I just CAN'T. I'm terrified the scale will go up....I'm terrified I'll have to get the fat girl pants back out.....I'm terrified it will start a huge downward spiral. So, I guess my question is, how often do you that are having success indulge? And how did you get past this feeling of shame and guilt when you do?

Replies

• healthymom131
    healthymom131 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not having success because I indulge way too much. I know it but I can't seem to stop the pattern. Any ideas for me?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. If you feel that much shame and guilt from eating something then you should really see a professional about your relationship with food, it does not sound like a very good one.
    2. I find that I can indulge frequently and still fit it into my calorie goal for the day if I preplan, then I get the best of both worlds (some chocolate and still working towards my goal)
    3. There are other days I just have to do a cause and effect analysis, if I do this it will have these effect and they either are or are not worth it to me. The End. I made the decision, no use worrying about it afterwards.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    There are so many different views on this that I'm not going to get into the 'do or don't' of this, rather just maybe explain why a cheat meal doesn't have to ruin great progress.

Although there is IIFYM, I love cheat meals from time to time and I plan on continuing them.

Right so!

For ease of explanation I'm going to base this explanation on somebody with a 2200 maintenance(fairly 'average').
    Target: 2lb/week loss
    Daily Calories: 1200 allowance
    Total Weekly Deficit: 7000 Calories

Total monthly loss-
    8lb

Cheat meal frequency-
    Monthly

Lets say for instance that you decided on this day that you were going to enjoy that pizza that you've been waiting for so long for and then a doughnut after. You might consume 2000 over (going to extremes) your daily target.

Based on the above calculation-

4 x 7000 calorie per week deficit- 28,000 monthly deficit

Deficit before cheat- 28,000 calories - 8lb/month loss
    Deficit after cheat- 26,000 calories - 7.4lb/month loss

Over the course of the month, using my exmaple above (an extreme one all the same.. going 2000 calories 'over' their daily allowance for most is unlikely even on a cheat meal) you really aren't going to loose too much progress!

Then again, if over indulgence might be a problem for you or trigger old habits.. It may or may not be for you.

I enjoy them, not everybody does!

All the best to you!

Adam
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat something indulgent often. And a treat every day.
    I don't have "cheat days" where I eat loads of extra foods etc. "just because".

But as 4legs says, you shouldn't have major guilt from eating regular foods like regular people do.
    That said: if you don't want to eat cookies and pizza, there's nothing that says you have to.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Rightly or wrongly I take a week off every 7th week. That means eat what I like, do no exercise besides stretching and generally relax and recover.

This week i have put on 5lbs...i dont really mind. My body feels recooperated some injuries that were niggling have healed.

Recovery week is now over and I know that I have to work hard again. But I have it in the back of my mind that in 6 weeks time I'll have another week off.

Shaun.
  • sjadev1108
    sjadev1108 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much Adam, thinking about it in those long terms helps immensely. Also, I generally have enough calories from the amount of exercise I do to get some of the things I really want in there. Yesterday I just went way overboard (about 900 calories overboard, not of what I burnt but of my 1000 calorie deficit) and it really bothered me to see that red. Just needed some encouragement that I didn't undo a weeks worth of progress. I know it in my head, but it's nice to hear.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    "Cheating" gives a negative connotation. I indulge in my favorite foods in moderation. I work a couple pieces of pizza in almost every Friday night. If I want a burger and fries and I have the calories, I eat it.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

malibu927 wrote: »
    "Cheating" gives a negative connotation. I indulge in my favorite foods in moderation. I work a couple pieces of pizza in almost every Friday night. If I want a burger and fries and I have the calories, I eat it.

It's great that works for you, for me I prefer to have one day a month that I just tuck in and enjoy the things I like without bothering about 'moderation' for the evening.

Different things work for different people and I really do encourage everyone to find the path that works for them.
    sjadev1108 wrote: »
    Thank you very much Adam, thinking about it in those long terms helps immensely. Also, I generally have enough calories from the amount of exercise I do to get some of the things I really want in there. Yesterday I just went way overboard (about 900 calories overboard, not of what I burnt but of my 1000 calorie deficit) and it really bothered me to see that red. Just needed some encouragement that I didn't undo a weeks worth of progress. I know it in my head, but it's nice to hear.

Very glad to have helped somewhat!

Adam
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    When I first started, almost never. Now, being close to goal and lifting heavy, I'll eat above maintenance once a week. You'll see anything from 1500 calories to 2500 calories in my diary. It helps me enjoy dinner with my boyfriend without getting out the scales and fuels my workouts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat" per se because I eat whatever I feel like knowingly and taking into account the calories I utilized while doing so. Choices now are whether I do more physical exercise to increase my calorie allotment or eat less to not supercede my calorie for the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are! I lost 2lbs a week initially and loved it BUT I didn't enjoy the calorie deficit I needed to do it. Going to bed hungry stinks!

Now I've increase my days doing cardio and added strength training to help with the calorie deficit. I eat 500 cals more a day now and don't go to bed hungry. I don't eat my exercise calories, I use them for my Extra Calories I might eat when I indulge.
    I plan ahead when I want pizza or anything else "forbidden". I do it once or twice a month.
    I have found knowing I will have it twice a month allows me to feel it's not so "forbidden". I just can't eat it everyday.
    I don't have so many cravings either because I know I can have it on my cheat days.
    I still lose 1lb a week,

Good luck!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead for indulgent eating. We go to Dairy Queen once a week and I get either a sundae or a Blizzard. I'm reverse dieting now but we did that even while I was actively trying to lose weight. I work my calories so that even my indulgent treats fit within them. Once in a great while I will skip logging for a day and eat without caring too much about calories (generally my birthday and a couple of holidays a year) but I pretty much stay within my calories on other days.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way you do. I know 2 or 3 slices of pizza (or anything else that I consider indulgent food for that matter) won't make me gain the 30 pounds I've lost but I get such anxiety when I do eat it. I do try to have a good cheat meal every 10 pounds l lose.
  • oriel67
    oriel67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am following Chris Powell's Carb cycling plan and I have one 'free' day a week. That free day means I can exceed my daily calories UP TO 1000 calories. That day is the day my husband and I indulge and go out to dinner. I have been averaging a weight loss of 5-6 pounds a week. I think having a 'free' day or meal once a week is not a deal breaker and might keep you sane.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I do not ever feel the need to "cheat" or have to feel guilty. I eat what I want, when I want, as long as it is under my calorie goal.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    There are so many different views on this that I'm not going to get into the 'do or don't' of this, rather just maybe explain why a cheat meal doesn't have to ruin great progress.

Although there is IIFYM, I love cheat meals from time to time and I plan on continuing them.

Right so!

For ease of explanation I'm going to base this explanation on somebody with a 2200 maintenance(fairly 'average').
    Target: 2lb/week loss
    Daily Calories: 1200 allowance
    Total Weekly Deficit: 7000 Calories

Total monthly loss-
    8lb

Cheat meal frequency-
    Monthly

Lets say for instance that you decided on this day that you were going to enjoy that pizza that you've been waiting for so long for and then a doughnut after. You might consume 2000 over (going to extremes) your daily target.

Based on the above calculation-

4 x 7000 calorie per week deficit- 28,000 monthly deficit

Deficit before cheat- 28,000 calories - 8lb/month loss
    Deficit after cheat- 26,000 calories - 7.4lb/month loss

Over the course of the month, using my exmaple above (an extreme one all the same.. going 2000 calories 'over' their daily allowance for most is unlikely even on a cheat meal) you really aren't going to loose too much progress!

Then again, if over indulgence might be a problem for you or trigger old habits.. It may or may not be for you.

I enjoy them, not everybody does!

All the best to you!

Adam

Thank you for this. I have a problem with indulge rather frequently. I do "stick to the plan" more often than not so my progress is turtle slow at times, but I am still making progress. It just goes to show how at our highest weights we really were eating way more than we think....
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I cheat once a week but I don't go berserk with it. I keep it to one portion.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Every single meal.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I do not ever feel the need to "cheat" or have to feel guilty. I eat what I want, when I want, as long as it is under my calorie goal.

LOL and this is pretty much me. I have a fairly healthy eating strategy that helps me still eat a lot of what I "want" to eat. :)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'd say maybe once or twice a month. But I am a planner so if I know I am going to indulge I will eat fewer calories the previous day or two and I always up my cardio. And, if I know what I will be indulging on I get an idea of how much over my daily calories I will be so I am not totally out of control. On the other hand I pretty much eat only things I like so if I really want something I work it into my daily calories.