One meal a day

Options

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    How do you fit all that food in your stomach at once?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    How do you fit all that food in your stomach at once?

Eating 800-900 calories in a meal is pretty easy, even without specifically trying.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Back away from the zombie thread people!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    gypsymatis wrote: »
    I am five foot one and have a desk job. To maintain I only need 1500 calories. So I eat one meal a day of roughly 1000 calories and take a multi vitamin as well as a 15-30 min body weight workout a day. Short women NEED a lot less.

You're funny :)

I'm 5 feet tall. My maintenance is probably around 1400-1500. I'm losing on 1300 (though I do exercise and eat back most of my calories). Some days I have a desk job, other days I'm walking a ton.

~Lyssa

I'm 5ft0 too and have a desk job and don't do much exercise at the moment. I eat 1000 cals a day to lose. Recenetly i upped it to 1200 and plateued for 5 weeks- so I'm dropping it back down.

On another note. My husband is a large muscular fella who moves very heavy furniture around all day and he has eaten only one meal a day for over 20 years. Some days he doesn't eat anythign at all- or just a salad- BUT other days he will eat I'd guess 40000cals or more - a whole chicken in one sitting etc. I guess it balences it's self out overe the week. He has never lost muscle mass and is quite chunky and his energy levels enever drop. it's not for everyone (certainly not me) but hes not unhealthy in any way (he never gets sick)

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I am five foot one and have a desk job. To maintain I only need 1500 calories. So I eat one meal a day of roughly 1000 calories and take a multi vitamin as well as a 15-30 min body weight workout a day. Short women NEED a lot less.

You're funny :)

I'm 5 feet tall. My maintenance is probably around 1400-1500. I'm losing on 1300 (though I do exercise and eat back most of my calories). Some days I have a desk job, other days I'm walking a ton.

~Lyssa

I'm 5ft0 too and have a desk job and don't do much exercise at the moment. I eat 1000 cals a day to lose. Recenetly i upped it to 1200 and plateued for 5 weeks- so I'm dropping it back down.

On another note. My husband is a large muscular fella who moves very heavy furniture around all day and he has eaten only one meal a day for over 20 years. Some days he doesn't eat anythign at all- or just a salad- BUT other days he will eat I'd guess 40000cals or more - a whole chicken in one sitting etc. I guess it balences it's self out overe the week. He has never lost muscle mass and is quite chunky and his energy levels enever drop. it's not for everyone (certainly not me) but hes not unhealthy in any way (he never gets sick)

how much weight were you losing with 1000 calories?

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I was losing 1-1.5 pounds per week, nothing drastic.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Just going to drop this here....just in case....
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

Plus one.

Plus two.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Why did you wake up the zombie?
  • katniss_200
    katniss_200 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried this, and it works for a week or two but then your body starts intensely craving and it leads to a binge.
    You should try having your daily calories in small amounts of food eaten throughout the day instead.
    Maybe up your calories to at least 1000 a day also. Your more likely to succeed then.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is mathematically impossible to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs per week on 1000 calories but not lose on 1200 calories. If you averaged the two your deficit would be around 600 calories which means you maintain at 1600 at least, if not more. If you didnt lose at 1200, i would question logging accuracy or consistency.
  • tattooedmomma93b
    tattooedmomma93b Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 1 meal a day and I actually gained weight!! After months of eating one big meal after work/right before bed I gained about 20 pounds... for the last week I have been eating small meals and snacks all day staying around 1220 calories and I have lost 7 pounds as already!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    nivi_r wrote: »
    Even if I am eating sufficient calories, isn't it better to spread across the day?

Nope. You have to find what works best for you.

I personally could not eat just one meal a day because I love spreading my calories out, but some people can. You just have to make sure you meet your calorie goals.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    If that's you in the picture, you look like you have very little to lose, if any. I'll bet your logging is probably not accurate.

Do you weigh your food and log everything you eat? Do you go the extra mile to make sure your calorie estimates are correct? MFP has A LOT of incorrect food entries.

Also, have you been to the doctor and tested for any underlying medical conditions that can hinder weight loss?

• SLLRunner
    Options
    I tried this, and it works for a week or two but then your body starts intensely craving and it leads to a binge.
    You should try having your daily calories in small amounts of food eaten throughout the day instead.
    Maybe up your calories to at least 1000 a day also. Your more likely to succeed then.

Not necessarily. One's mileage may vary.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I used to eat 1 meal a day and I actually gained weight!! After months of eating one big meal after work/right before bed I gained about 20 pounds... for the last week I have been eating small meals and snacks all day staying around 1220 calories and I have lost 7 pounds as already!
    That's because your one meal a day had too many calories. Meal frequency has nothing to do with weight loss, calories in/calories out does. It sounds like spreading your food throughout the day works best for you. :)
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bad idea, you should be eating more calories, that is not healthy...also eating once a day will slow your metabolism
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    bad idea, you should be eating more calories, that is not healthy...also eating once a day will slow your metabolism
    That is actually incorrect and has little to do with your metabolism increasing or decreasing.
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have someone following you around all the time to catch you in case you faint.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options

I am 5'3" and have a desk job. BMR calories for my GOAL weight are 1332. Unless you're in a coma, you aren't eating enough calories. I am eating 1800 calories per day with moderate exercise and losing weight.

• pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    7943d1400740830-jungleflasher-no-i-o-ports-found-during-enumeration-win8-x64-867733d1373391202-gravity-fsx-1-0-bikesdirect-com-40346d1374446638-job-offer-zombie_thread.jpg