My weight won't go below 146 lbs

Options

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    A quick update. My weight is now between 132 and 131 lbs. I've been stuck here for the past 4 months. Maybe I will have good news to report again in 6 months!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    That is great news from what I have just read, but isn't that the weight you were hoping for? You were 146 and said you needed to take off 15 lbs. I would think 132/131 is already great news?! You did great!
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Thank yopu Kyla. My goal is 120lbs but I don't know if I will get there. I'm not willing to sacrifice my muscle mass for a scale number right now.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well done.

I struggle to get below 150lb. I yoyo between 150lb and 156lb. My problem is when the weight doesn't come off I tend to overeat for a day or so. I also tend to lose faith and investigate the 'alternative' diets. Guess I ought to just keep at it.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    I've managed to work my way down to 130 and I feel comfortable here. I could go down to 125 but I'm okay with it taking a few months.

It has been so difficult to lose these 3 pounds! I had to constantly switch up workouts, foods, zig zag with calories and I quit logging for a period of time...which seems to have helped.

It's so true that the closer you get to goal (mine was originally 120 but now I don't know) the harder this becomes.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    A quick update. My weight is now between 132 and 131 lbs. I've been stuck here for the past 4 months. Maybe I will have good news to report again in 6 months!

Cooool. I knew if you just stuck with it and kept plugging away that it would come off eventually. Good work on persevering!! :smile:
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    And thanks for the update! That's awesome news! I'm really happy for you! :)
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »

Cooool. I knew if you just stuck with it and kept plugging away that it would come off eventually. Good work on persevering!! :smile:

Thank you! Yeah I think that's been key - sticking with it. It's very easy to just throw in the towel but eventually something has to shift and I'm glad it did.

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I just read this today in Huff Post: "Dieting will cause you to lose not just the harmful fat but also useful muscle. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn so when you start to lose muscle you need less food. The trouble is that eventually you'll reach the point where you stop losing weight even though you're taking in less food."
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »

Thank you! Yeah I think that's been key - sticking with it. It's very easy to just throw in the towel but eventually something has to shift and I'm glad it did.

Can you summarize the thread for me please? I read the first post - you were stuck at 146 and had tried different things to move the scale but they weren't working...then on this last page you clearly made something work...what did you change?

• catsmeat
    catsmeat Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Can you summarize the thread for me please? I read the first post - you were stuck at 146 and had tried different things to move the scale but they weren't working...then on this last page you clearly made something work...what did you change?

You're smart to ask for a summary. I'll never get back the last 30 minutes of my life.

Essentially, OP plateaued and asked for help. She got a bunch of random opinions, some of which were sensible. The sensible ones were basically: you seem to be doing fine, just keep at it.

Apparently, 'keeping at it' worked.

Good for her. I wish people wouldn't try to make some great mystery out of something that is really rather simple.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Onesnap wrote: »
    I just read this today in Huff Post: "Dieting will cause you to lose not just the harmful fat but also useful muscle. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn so when you start to lose muscle you need less food. The trouble is that eventually you'll reach the point where you stop losing weight even though you're taking in less food."

I don't know how those people lost weight but I strength train 3 times a week and my muscle mass is in a good place. I've worked my *kitten* off to preserve it and ended up building some more too.

• Phaedra2014
    Options
    catsmeat wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

You're smart to ask for a summary. I'll never get back the last 30 minutes of my life.

Essentially, OP plateaued and asked for help. She got a bunch of random opinions, some of which were sensible. The sensible ones were basically: you seem to be doing fine, just keep at it.

Good for her. I wish people wouldn't try to make some great mystery out of something that is really rather simple.

Haha! Yeah that's about right. Eat sensibly, strength train, throw in a bit of cardio, get good sleep at night, quit counting calories for a bit (that's what I did), change up your workouts, and just stick with it.
  • Phaedra2014
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Update: I am now at 126.5 lbs. I am not too sure what made this happen other than sticking with a plan but also changing it up from time to time.

For all of you who feel the weight won't budge, I can tell you that it eventually does but it takes a lot, A LOT, of patience and consistency.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    I'm down to 121.5 since Feb. 16th! One pound away from what I had selected as my goal weight but I'm more about building/preserving muscle mass and lowering body fat than anything else. My BF% is now around 16 and it's still so unbelievable to me.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is so AWESOME!!!!! You are so AWESOME!! What a fantastic story of not giving up !!! I am currently in the same boat so I have a few questions for you...

At one point you added calories back and took a break from logging...

when you started logging again did you drop back to 1200 or did you continue with increase calories?

Do you think this was the key to breaking the stall?

It seems after your break, the pounds literally flew off !!!
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Thank you Jak! Yes I took a break from counting and I think the zigzagging of cals helped but also changing up my strength training program helped. I started playing around with reps and sets and that really helped change things up.

I am now stuck with figuring my maintenance calories and this has caused a bump up in my weight. I have read that it is normal for this to happen initially but I don't want to take any chances with going the wrong way. I have worked too hard for this.

For me, changing calorie intake on a regular basis seemed to work. I guess the best analogy would be steady state cardio vs. running sprints or HIIT to change muscle definition. Eating the same calories every day was just keeping me in a rut.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    I'm at 121 lbs but my body fat has dropped by another percent bringing me to 13.5%.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

[/quote]

I'm glad I read this before reading the thread...cool

I'm at 121 lbs but my body fat has dropped by another percent bringing me to 13.5%.

What? That's around essential fat for a woman (10-13%) how are you measuring it? And are you going to put weight on now?