Heart Attack at Age 37

Options
So, I found out this past Friday that a good friend of mine had recently had a heart attack. The good news, is that he went to the ER and was treated quick enough that his prognosis is good. He is now resting at home after having a stent put in to reopen his blocked artery. The bad news is that he is now on on kinds of medications and now needs to make a myriad of lifestyle changes. Failure to do so can quite possibly lead to a second heart attack, or, even worse, his death.

Holy moly, people! He is my age, 37, which I've considered too young to have heart attack. Heart attacks happen to people's dads.

As my friend recovers, I wish him well and will do anything I can to help. I can't help but selfishly think that this could have been me. We shared a similar lifestyle in our early/mid twenties with a lot of fast food and no exercise. At some point, I decided I didn't want to keep watching my weight go up and up and up, and made some life changes. His heart attack has made me committed even more to healthy eating and exercise.

Now it is his turn for major life changes. During all of this, he also learned that he's had untreated diabetes, with his blood sugar levels over 300. Our first priority is to get the blood sugar under control. He has an appointment with a dietician, and is working hard to come up with meals he can make that don't take a lot of time and will fit his diet. He's quit smoking (yay!). As he put it, 3 days in a cardiac ward in the hospital will put things in perspective for you. When he's recovered a bit and is feeling up for it (and hopefully the weather is nicer), we're going to start walking together.

This isn't really a question. I just needed to get this out there somehow. I know I can't make these changes for him. I'm glad he's open to the changes that need to be made.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    You can't make the change for him for sure. BUT...you can be the friend who encourages him, brings him healthy and delicious meals that you have discovered along the way and hopefully eases the transition for him a little bit. You also could introduce him to MFP! He got really lucky this time around, he should be grateful for this second chance.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My great grandfather died of a heart attack when he was 36. He had two young kids (technically four, he had a secret family in another state). More recently, I had a cousin die of a heart attack at 34. I had a great grandmother who had heart disease. So many people in my family live with diabetes. I keep a very watchful eye on my health....it's all I've really got total control of.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    PiSquared,

I'm so glad your friend made it out of the hospital. You sound like a really good friend. Remember he is the one responsible for any changes, though, and that your part is to give him moral support. I'll bet, too, that you are an example for him because you have made your own changes. :)
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    You can't make the change for him for sure. BUT...you can be the friend who encourages him, brings him healthy and delicious meals that you have discovered along the way and hopefully eases the transition for him a little bit. You also could introduce him to MFP! He got really lucky this time around, he should be grateful for this second chance.

That's the general idea. I already pointed him towards MFP, if only to start logging his food as a way to keep track of carbs and sodium. At this point, I'm not sure what his ultimate diet restrictions will end up being, but with a heart attack and diabetes, it's probably a safe assumption that it will be carb and sodium restricted. We went grocery shopping this past weekend (he currently can't drive and isn't supposed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk) so he at least has something reasonably healthy in the house to eat. He's going through the process of getting rid of his prepackaged meals. I've offered him some back issues of Cooking Light for healthy recipe ideas. He's got a birthday coming up, so a subscription may be a good gift idea. I'm also planning on popping over a few times this week with a healthy dinner for him, and to check up on him and make sure he's following the doctor's orders.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Wow, how terrible. I am so sorry this happened to your friend. I hope he decides to make changes, but as others have said, that's up to him. You can only be a friend and be supportive. Thanks for sharing...this has to have been scary for you and certainly for his family (and him).
  • f8tnotfat
    f8tnotfat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your friend will be okay and that you are even more determined now. My dad died of a heart attack at 61 after suffering a paralyzing stroke at 55 and my mom has congestive heart failure and had two strokes 3 years ago. I'm 52 and take meds for high blood pressure and I have high cholesterol but I can't take meds for that so it is imperative for me to get this 70 pounds off now. Given my family history and my weight, I see a cardiologist to make sure my heart is okay but I really would love to see the cardiologist at the end of 2015 and be so healthy I can get off the meds. In my opinion, It's a good idea to see a cardiologist even when young, especially when overweight or under too much stress or a family history.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This has been scary for all involved. It's certainly been eye opening for my friend. He's in relatively good spirits and seems willing to make all the changes that need to happen. About a year and a half ago, my husband was diagnosed with type II diabetes. It forced us to seriously look at our diet and make some healthy changes. My husband's blood sugar is now under control.

My friend's heart attack has made me double down on my commitment to healthy eating and exercise. Yikes!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    PiSquared wrote: »
    So, I found out this past Friday that a good friend of mine had recently had a heart attack. The good news, is that he went to the ER and was treated quick enough that his prognosis is good. He is now resting at home after having a stent put in to reopen his blocked artery. The bad news is that he is now on on kinds of medications and now needs to make a myriad of lifestyle changes. Failure to do so can quite possibly lead to a second heart attack, or, even worse, his death. Holy moly, people! He is my age, 37, which I've considered too young to have heart attack. Heart attacks happen to people's dads.As my friend recovers, I wish him well and will do anything I can to help. I can't help but selfishly think that this could have been me. We shared a similar lifestyle in our early/mid twenties with a lot of fast food and no exercise. At some point, I decided I didn't want to keep watching my weight go up and up and up, and made some life changes. His heart attack has made me committed even more to healthy eating and exercise. Now it is his turn for major life changes. During all of this, he also learned that he's had untreated diabetes, with his blood sugar levels over 300. Our first priority is to get the blood sugar under control. He has an appointment with a dietician, and is working hard to come up with meals he can make that don't take a lot of time and will fit his diet. He's quit smoking (yay!). As he put it, 3 days in a cardiac ward in the hospital will put things in perspective for you. When he's recovered a bit and is feeling up for it (and hopefully the weather is nicer), we're going to start walking together. This isn't really a question. I just needed to get this out there somehow. I know I can't make these changes for him. I'm glad he's open to the changes that need to be made.

PiSquared – very nice post.

Strange how some people (I was once like that) think they are going to live forever and that health issues and dying are for “other folks.”

While it is nice to read stories of people living longer than ever into their 70’s and beyond, as they say – there is no guaranteed tomorrow. My mother died at 57; a brother at age 61 died without warning in his sleep, a sister died in her 60’s. In the last 2 years, I lost very close brother-in-laws both in their 60’s and I could go on about those I lost in their 30's & 40's.

I have my own multiple health issues (including heart) and MFP has allowed me to take control over that which I can control. Primarily – lifestyle/weight. I don’t waste time on what I can’t do anything about.

It’s nice that you are being supportive in your friend’s case. There will come a time when that person will have to stand on their own…and I hope it happens.

Wishing you and your friend a healthy and long future. (Hope U enjoyed Pi Day)

73641431.png
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Heart attacks can happen at any age. Youngest I have personally seen was 16 (due to bad gene inheritance and other health issues).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I think of events like this as "mortality reminders."

I had a stroke at age 28. In my case, it was not lifestyle related, but I think that a lot of people around me took that as a reminder to enjoy life and live to the fullest. It's ultimately a good thing.

It sounds like you are doing a great job of being supportive. Your friend must be very overwhelmed physically and emotionally right now.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    So glad your friend is doing well and I send him the very best. Please make him work on this. My first one was mild, like his, my second was a major one and you just HAVE to make those lifestyles. You're a great friend for him and I say thank you.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So sad to hear this, but glad that your friend is on the right path now and open to the changes that need to be made.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My husband's friend had a heart attack at age 37 also. Unfortunately he continues to drink and smoke. Drives us crazy.
  • maxcrome
    maxcrome Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 48 and just had a major heart attack one week ago. I also thought that I was too young to have a heart attack, but I've learned it can happen to anyone, really at any age. Some people are more genetically predisposed to it. The good news is that we can do a lot to reverse heart disease: Eat right, exercise, and take our meds. Over the last week, I have started eating WAY more healthfully. Without even really trying, I have already lost 5 pounds. What has helped me stay on track is MFP and a few gadgets that I bought. I got a fitbit to track my activity/calories burned, a blood pressure machine, and a scale that all link automatically to my fitbit tracker. I like to geek out on the tech of it all, so it helps me stay on track. That is one idea for your friend. If he is not a techno geek like me, maybe there is some angle on fitness that will get him interested and motivated. Best of luck to you and your friend.