High-Protein Breakfast Ideas

Options
leftymac
leftymac Posts: 169 Member
For breakfast, I've been having oatmeal and a Chobani non-fat greek yogurt. This was satisfying me and then I looked at the amount of sugars in the yogurt and about had a heart attack. I like a balance of protein and carbs with my meals, but since I'm noticing I've been going over my sugars every day, I want to cut back. What else can I eat for breakfast that is high in protein?

I suppose some string cheese would do, or I could throw some meat in there. Is the 2% or full-fat greek yogurt better in sugars? I have the fat to spare in the day.

Replies

• zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Every morning (even right now as I type this!) I have three egg whites and one whole egg combined with peppers, onions, jalepenos, and one whole ham steak. It runs around 300 calories. Very filling and a lot of protein! I highly recommend it.
  • muskogee
    muskogee Posts: 11
    Options
    fat free cottage cheese .same carb/protein ratio
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lizzypants
    lizzypants Posts: 2
    Options
    Try non-fat plain greek yogurt. Mix in a packet of Truvia sweetner and some blueberries or raspberries. Much better for you than already flavored greek yogurt.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese could be worth trying. I used to do hard-boiled eggs too, and maybe I'll go back to that. I'm a teacher, and I get to work at 6:30 a.m., so I eat breakfast there because it's way too early to eat at home. So cooking eggs (omelets, etc) isn't a good option for me, although I'd love for it to be.
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Every morning I eat 1 egg and 1/2 cup of egg whites and 1/2 cup of black beans and mix in fresh spinach, onions, muchrooms. Very filling and high in protein.
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    Regarding the yogurt....I get Fage "PLAIN" fat free yogurt...only 9 sugars for a 1 cup serving. I use Truvia sweetener to cut the tartness, sometimes add a tbs of peanut butter or a tsp of Smuckers Naturual Low Sugar Jelly. That way, I regulate the sugar content.

By the way....the peanut butter in greek yogurt combo is THE BOMB! :glasses:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think the plain greek yogurt had less sugar, the thing is those sugars aren't the bad for you kind of sugars and with the protien you are eating with them they are not going to spike your blood sugar like a candy bar, oj or even a banana would.

I have heard peanut butter is good in oatmeal. I don't know if there is a reason you are not eating eggs, but you could have a couple of hard boiled eggs. If you don't eat the yolk you will get the protien without the extra calories or cholesterol. 70 cal in an egg vs 16 in an egg white.

One other thought is, could you put protien powder in your oatmeal? I put flaxseed in mine and 1 tablespoon had 1.5 grams of protien + fiber+ omega 3.
  • meshellw
    meshellw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started buying a nonfat vanilla yogurt.it has 12 grams of protein and the Weis brand is really good. total fats 0 on all of them sugars 34 g. I'm not sure how many sugars are in the yogurt you eat but it might be worth checking out. I am VERY happy for you in your weight loss. I just started and want to loose 50-60 lbs. When I saw your weight loss i was very inspired. Keep up the GREAT work. If you need any buddys add me... :)
  • ReneeOfTheFae
    ReneeOfTheFae Posts: 117
    Options
    Low-fat is ALWAYS better than non-fat. Companies add sugars (including fake, super bad-for-you chemical sugars) to non-fat items to flavor them after having taken the fat out. In the end, non-fat is actually worse for you. Try bumping it up to the low-fat and see how you do/feel. Good luck! *^_^*
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese could be worth trying. I used to do hard-boiled eggs too, and maybe I'll go back to that. I'm a teacher, and I get to work at 6:30 a.m., so I eat breakfast there because it's way too early to eat at home. So cooking eggs (omelets, etc) isn't a good option for me, although I'd love for it to be.

I have a microwave egg cooker, I don't know if you can use a microwave at school, but I make and egg and cheese sandwich on a bagel flat. That's not to bad and it's quick.
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Egg Whites. Have 4 Egg Whites everyday, runs me at 90cals and 18g of protein
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    Low-fat is ALWAYS better than non-fat. Companies add sugars (including fake, super bad-for-you chemical sugars) to non-fat items to flavor them after having taken the fat out. In the end, non-fat is actually worse for you. Try bumping it up to the low-fat and see how you do/feel. Good luck! *^_^*

I agree most fat-free means you pay in additives, but if you seek out natural or organic products, you can have the best of both worlds.

From Fage's site- http://www.fageusa.com/nutrition/nutrition-benefits/

FAGE Total Greek Strained yogurt is an extraordinary source of nutrition. Made from an authentic recipe that dates back to 1926 and using 100% natural ingredients, it contains no added sweeteners, thickeners or preservatives and no powdered milk, powdered cream or powdered protein.

Just whole milk, cream and cultures go through our unique straining process to create this blissful, low-calorie taste experience. In fact, approximately 4 pounds of raw milk are needed to make just one pound of FAGE Total. It’s part of what makes each thick, creamy bite full of inherent nutritional benefits:

Protein Rich, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Diabetic Friendly, Pregnancy Friendly
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Turkey sausage is a good low fat and low calories protein depending on the type of turkey you buy. I like Honeysucke White's turkey sausage. It tastes like regular sausage to me. And if you use eggbeaters you can make a nice sausage and cheese omelette with some nice reduced fat cheese! Yum!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If you like the Greek yogurt, check out the Oikos brand. In the 90 calorie cup, I believe there is only like 5g of sugar. The strawberry and blueberry are good. Haven't tried the honey (hubby LOVES it though) and the vanilla is not for me.

Other ideas:

2 eggs, over medium on a piece of whole grain toast with 2 strips of thick cut bacon.

1 egg, 2 white scrambled with oatmeal.

1 egg white, slice of reduced fat cheese, 2 slices canadian bacon, whole grain english muffin - make a sandwhich. I make several of these for the week, wrap them up and heat them in the microwave as needed.

3 white omelet with sauteed spinach, swiss cheese, onion, tomato and you can add in some meat if you want.
  • vmacleod
    vmacleod Posts: 1
    Options
    i hope these ideas help you:

fage yogurt, with natural p.b. (just peanuts- no added sugars), cinnamon, truvia, and 2 tbsp natural oats for texture

fage yogurt, berries, and truvia

cottage cheese with berries- berries are natural low carb treat- any kind of berry- I like a few strawberries, blueberries, and rasberries

there is a great high protein meal that starbucks offers that you can replicate: hard boiled egg, 2 oz swiss cheese, 2 slices apple, some grapes, tbsp natural p.b. and a small roll (their's looks like a mini scone with raisins). It's super satisfying.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt doesn't have the sugar issue, mix in some cinnamon for taste :) i make a dozen hard-boiled eggs every sunday and have 2 eggs a day for breakfast (my cholesteral is fine so far by the way).
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I was on Chobani too for awhile, until the store by our house started running out of it. I switched over to Siggi's Yogurt, and I'm much more happier with it. I get the non fat vanilla or the non fat plain, and I just add fruit if I want it. They use agave nectar to sweeten their products, and the sweetness is very subtle. Here's the website with the nutritional info:

http://www.skyr.com/skyr.html
  • meshellw
    meshellw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I will have to check that out. I am new to this so I keep an eye out for any help...:)
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have tuna ... as sick as that sounds.