Vegetables shopping

Options
hi everyone, today is my shopping day , was curious to know for how many days you buy veges and how to keep them fresh

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I just bought four 16oz bags of frozen broccoli florets. They'll last anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months

Other veg - red bell peppers, mushrooms, onions. I'm currently storing some in the fridge and some at room temperature. The ones in the fridge last longer. If I plan on blending the veg like for a soup - again they can get stored frozen and I'll thaw them when I need them. It's not as good as fresh (as far as just enjoying cooking, for me), but something had to give when my veg kept going bad, since I don't always feel like cooking with them the same day or week I buy them
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I use frozen and fresh. More fresh in the warmer months obviously-we have lots of Farmers Markets here in JC.
    The fresh can last up to a week depending on the veggie. Of course carrots, potatoes, onions, etc last longer.
    I eat ridiculous amounts of veggies so I rarely need to throw stuff away due to spoilage. If I have veggies that I think are going to spoil soon, I make soup, sauce, stew or salsa with them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the veggie. Some like carrots and onions and potatoes and cabbage last longer, and others like lettuce don't hold up as well. I shop twice a week for produce.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I buy what I am going to eat up within a week, unless it can be frozen.
  • mhanispeedy
    mhanispeedy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions , it really means alot to me