What to cut out from your diet?

Options
123457»

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything that I don't enjoy enough to justify the calories.

Smaller portions of other stuff.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I find word choices interesting in threads like these. There are people like me who will say they don't cut anything out, but if you looked at my diary you would only find alcohol once or twice per year. You'd almost never find anything fried. You'd very rarely find things like bacon or sausage. If you asked me whether I've cut those things out I'd say no. But on the other hand, you've got people saying that they do cut out all kinds of things "except once or twice per week," which is probably more often than I have those things that they've "cut out." I wouldn't say I've cut something out unless I actually never have it and never plan to do so.

I'm curious about the difference in mindset and whether it matters which way you think of it.

I wonder about this all the time. I've tried to get clarification from people who say they've cut it out (but still consume) on their thinking. One person told me that they put it that way because they hoped they'd never have it again.

I'd love to understand the mentality of making a sacrifice ("I've cut out/eliminated/never eat") vs. feeling the freedom to eat what you like as long as you can fit it into your calorie goals.

I think I may be the person you mentioned. I say "I cut soda", yet I will still drink it on occasion. And, yeah, my preference would be to never drink it again. I am free to drink it, but I don't want to drink it.

I do, however, drink it if I'm somewhere and it's all that's offered or available. I don't want soda then, but I want to be thirsty or impolite even less.
  • kbstephens24
    kbstephens24 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out really - just eat in moderation! The only thing I haven't had in over a year is a milkshake. It would likely use up all my calories for the day! :(
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I started here and accurately logged my food, I quickly realized which foods were just too hard for me to eat in a quantity which allowed me to enjoy them and stick to my goals. For instance, I could easily spend my entire day's allowance (about 1600 calories) on mac & cheese (homemade, not box) or a chocolate shake. But I still drink (non-diet) soda a few times a week because I can have a moderate amount (1/2 a can) and that's plenty.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I cut out chicken breast - it's dry and rubbery and I hate it. Thighs thighs thighs!!!

No need to eat breast if you don't like, but brining makes a huge difference!

I have only managed to make that work with pork shoulder. Nowadays I just buy the thighs but if I ever do pick up a whole bird again I promise to give it one more try.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Nothing

How do you loose weight then?

As long as you stay within your calorie goal, you're golden

Page 1 of the weight loss book and but often overlooked. It almost seems to good to be true. ;)
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    What did you guys stop eating ? I cut out chocolate , crisps , ready meals , all sort of sweets!

I try to keep carbs on the low side by eating a decent amount of green vegetables, fruits, fiber, whole grain breads and at the same time limiting sugar, junk food and refined bread. I do allow myself portion controlled amounts of popcorn, Special K chips, WW Bars etc. – for those evening snacks.

I do buy ice cream, reg. chips etc. for my wife – as she does not have a weight problem and controls her calories – no need for her to pay the price for “my” problem.

The things I cut were by-products of my weight loss goals. In order to keep calories low, I had to be sure 90% of what I consumed had/has nutritional value. I didn’t set out to give up alcohol, processed meats etc. It just happened (not entirely but for the most part). I had probably 3 glasses of wine and 3 slices of pizza in all of 2014.

I am at goal now, but continue to be vigilant knowing my triggers and past habits. I have completely revamped my lifestyle and will NEVER regain that weight.

73641431.png
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Nothing

How do you loose weight then?

As long as you stay within your calorie goal, you're golden

Page 1 of the weight loss book but often overlooked. It almost seems to good to be true. ;)
    How is this kind of crazy thinking going to sell diet food and supplements. You will never make it in marketing equipped with this kind of sensible, rational thinking.
  • echambli
    echambli Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree with all the posts above. Its about moderation. I have a 1800 calorie allowance. It's about being smart with your points. I won't waste 1,000 calories at McDonalds for one meal. I look at it as though I'm rewarding myself with points. Usually after a good workout and staying within my calories I have calories leftover. This is when you actually lose weight in the deficit. In other words I don't deprive myself from what I want. I now do it moderation. My weakness are Funyuns. However, I won't have Funyuns, coke, and a snicker like I once did. I usually buy an individual size of Funyuns take a few and split it with others.
  • Arduinna4
    Arduinna4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bread. And only because i can't control myself when it comes to bread. I will add it back at some point but not until i'm comfortable with calorie counting and regular exercising.