BodyPump - Great burn!!

Options
nikki_zav
nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
I almost forgot my HRM to this morning's BodyPump class (haven't been to one in ages). So glad I grabbed it while running out the door. I burned 418 calories in 55 min!!!!!! That is the same amount I would burn running about 4 miles-ish.

This class is high repetition of medium weight. Lots of squats, deadlifts, rows, bench press, triceps, shoulders, lunges, and abs. So who says that you have to only do cardio to burn calories?! There are tons of of posts on here about how amazing weight training is for women (well everyone....but especially women who waste hours away on the treadmill or elliptical).

Happy lifting everyone!

Replies

• humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm so nervous to take bodypump! I'm not sure I could make it through the whole class. I took one class at my gym that is also a strength training class (called chisel) and I felt like I was paralyzed the next day.
    I know I need to do more weight training! Good for you for doing it!
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've done Bodypump before and never thought I'd get through it. But I did and it was a great workout! Good for you!
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Humglum I think you would be ok. The instructors are well trained and the first couple of times they want you to get the technique right so you are on low weights. Then you can build up your weight slowly. Most classes have such a mixed bag of ability and no one really cares how much or how little you have on the bar. The music is good and the workout is great. Give it a go!
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    Options
    I LOVE BODY PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but alas, can't afford the gym membership to pay for it anymore. Booooooooooooooo
  • CrashD
    CrashD Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow! I really want to try it now. It looks intimidating but eff it, I'm going for it. Thanks for the insight. :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I'm another BodyPump addict, and for those of you who are nervous to try it or another similar class, don't be - just start out with lighter weights, even if it seems ridiculously light - you can always increase the weight in the next class if you find it to be too easy. I'm the ultimate weakling, and if I can do this class, anyone can :-)
  • nikki_zav
    Options
    Wow! I really want to try it now. It looks intimidating but eff it, I'm going for it. Thanks for the insight. :)

Soooooo happy to hear that!!!! Like everyone else says, start light. It's gonna hurt and burn (but that just means it's working!) Let me know how it goes.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First gym class i ever joined, and it has a soft spot in me and think, it pretty much always will.

I think i pretty much recommend it to everyone to try atleast once.
  • dctyler
    dctyler Posts: 30
    Options
    Body Pump is one of my favorite classes at the gym. Also love the kick boxing
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Did it for the first time last week- my chest and arms hurt for a couple of days after but I expected my legs to hurt more from the lunges & squats etc- maybe as I am quite used to those anyway it didn't hurt so much on my lower body.

Got my second class this morning- should I stick to the same weights as a beginner or try to lift more??
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    body pump is brilliant! I also wear my hrm during the class and I usually burn around 340 for a class...which is the same as what I burn during a step class! its incredible!

Yes the next day after your first session hurts like hell but you dont feel like that again after if you do classes twice a week. Its such a good work out.
  • stressbunny
    Options
    I love Body Pump. I have weedy weights on the bar but it still kills my thighs.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are getting technique right increase the weights its not meant to be a breeze to get through lol

go hard!
  • pjbercot
    pjbercot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I attend a BodyPump class 3 to 4 times a week. Generally burn 600 to 700 cal per class. I think it is one of the best classes to attend.
  • nikki_zav
    Options
    Did it for the first time last week- my chest and arms hurt for a couple of days after but I expected my legs to hurt more from the lunges & squats etc- maybe as I am quite used to those anyway it didn't hurt so much on my lower body.

Got my second class this morning- should I stick to the same weights as a beginner or try to lift more??

How did you do with your second class? The first few I would do weight you are comfortable with and really get your form down...then start upping the weight. No matter what, you are going to get a great workout!

pjb - 600 or 700 cals!! That is intense! I would have to stay for turbo after to get that kind of burn. Great job!

Glad to hear you are all pumped up!! :D hehe
  • Juliebelanger22
    Options

I say stick to the same weight...maybe more for the squats and lunges...but the rest stay the same!...maybe after a couple weeks, go up!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I love bp so much that I became an instructor after taking it for several years. Here are your goal ratios for weights (we have pounds at my gym, I'll give you what you should be then what I am):

warm up: your lightest weight
    Squats: 2 or 3 x the amount of weight you use for warm up (largest muscle group)
    Chest: take your bar down to a half or a third of squats (still a large muscle group so over warm up)
    Glutes, back, hami's: bar slightly up
    Tris: warm up wieght
    Bis: same
    Lunges: Chest weight
    shoulders: warm up

My weights (I'm slightly out of proportion)
    warm up: 20
    Squats: 50 (I tried to push this up over the weekend but ended up with a back injury, will try again this week)
    Chest: 25
    Glutes, back, hami's: 35
    Tris: 20 (kickbacks 7.5, overhead extensions 12.5)
    Bis: 20
    Lunges: 30
    shoulders: 15 (free weights 5 aside)

When you are new we suggest going light the first class and then adjusting accordingly in the next class. You want to be able to get through the track, but barely. You should be throwing a drop weight on that bad boy every few weeks (I aim for 6 week intervals) to keep pushing yourself.
  • chicorac
    chicorac Posts: 34
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Bodypump and try to go at least 3 times a week. I never knew how many calories it burned, though
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Body Pump! It's definatley a GREAT workout! And who wouldn't want to get cardio and strength done in half the time?!!!!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm a Body Pump instructor. I'm teaching the new release tonight. LOVE IT! It has transformed my body. It's a great workout, and anyone can get through it. Just start with lighter weights. I have grandmas in my classes! they can do it! I generally burn between 375-450 calories. I'm not sure of the weight of the person burning 700-900 calories...that is pretty much impossible, unless you weight a LOT. I go full throttle with heavy weights and the most I have ever burned was 500. And that was one time. Every one give it a shot! You won't be sorry! :-)))