If you won the powerball lottery...First thing you'd buy?

Options

Replies

• melanietx504
    Options
    The first responsible thing I'd do would be pay off my house. First frivolous thing I'd do would be trash every last article of clothing and item of makeup I have and upgrade EVERYTHING. I'd be makin it rain all over Nordstrom.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I would pay off debt, quit my job, and become "homeless" (I would live in the outdoors, through-hike the AT, PCT, CT, PNT, etc.).

Since I'd be rich, I would probably hire a 'support' person (to pay bills, bring me supplies/medicine, and drive me between places when it is time to start a new trail). I would buy multiple sets of outdoor gear to be kept in storage units around the country (a unit within 1 days drive from anywhere in the lower 48), and provide my support employee with a Sprinter camper van for transporting gear and to stay in on the road during his/her downtime.

I would also pay an accountant to help manage long-term investments and audit the support person's spending / purchasing. The support employee may be hard to find because it is going to be a 100% travel position, but the up-side is that there will be a lot of down time to do personal activities nearly every day in the general area. It isn't a job that works well to have a family, though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Depends on the jackpot.
  • Bill8855
    Bill8855 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    A plane ticket somewhere where I can wrap my head around what just happened. Then a retainer for a lawyer.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I also might offer a huge reward for finding a compatible woman (with stipulation that we must be married for x number of years before payment can be received - money would be in escrow during that time, so no worries). Seriously, I'm getting frustrated that it is apparently impossible to find an intelligent, confident, childfree woman who loves the outdoors as much as I do... and who is actually interested in someone like me. :'(
  • Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bill8855 wrote: »
    A plane ticket somewhere where I can wrap my head around what just happened. Then a retainer for a lawyer.

That sounds sad.... :(
  • Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also might offer a huge reward for finding a compatible woman (with stipulation that we must be married for x number of years before payment can be received - money would be in escrow during that time, so no worries). Seriously, I'm getting frustrated that it is apparently impossible to find an intelligent, confident, childfree woman who loves the outdoors as much as I do... and who is actually interested in someone like me. :'(

Why is "childfree" so important to you?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Why is "childfree" so important to you?

I don't have or want kids so it would be a waste of effort to seek a relationship with someone who has or wants kids.
  • BigEdge
    BigEdge Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Shelby Cobra.
  • TuffGong21
    TuffGong21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    how much lottery winnings are we talkin', here?

1. hire financial planner
    2. tithe accordingly
    3. become debt free
    4. invest heavily and live off interest!
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'd also start a business, hire a management company to run the business, secretly hire myself as a part time employee.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Vacation home after hiring a financial planner. Of course help the kids with their debt and give to charity.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    A new tractor.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    A house. Nothing crazy expensive, just a nice house to start our family in. The I'd pay off all debt... student loans, car loans, credit cards. I'd give some to our families & friends, whatever they needed. My hubby would probably want to buy a new car just to have fun with, and Rally-X.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    first thing ? Alot of drinks !!! LOL
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    A burner phone, a good lawyer and good accountant.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    the very first thing id do is tell my mom she can have whatever she wants and will never work another day in her life

• Bill8855
    Bill8855 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options

Lots of people all of a sudden that come looking for handouts. I'll take care of the people that are close to me. The others will have to fend for themselves. Not meant to be sad. Just realistic.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Lots of people all of a sudden that come looking for handouts. I'll take care of the people that are close to me. The others will have to fend for themselves. Not meant to be sad. Just realistic.

Amen. I've heard many stories of lottery winners who suddenly became flooded with people begging for money - even complete strangers!

I'd consider buying an island somewhere and building a home on it. I believe you can get one for $2MIL and then fully develop it for another $2MIL.

That will make it hard for people to come bug you.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, a person I came to know after he won 365 million from the power ball, basically ruined his own life with the money. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.