Good carbs?

Options
I need help finding more good carbs foods... I like eating healthy and cooking so any things game

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Ice cream and a maple and pecan plait or two.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    tuber-vegetables.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Good carbs typically refers to foods that contain a good bit of fiber. So, go for minimally processed grains - barley, oats, bulgur, kasha, quinoa, etc. instead of grains ground into flour. Plenty of vegetables, fruits and nuts.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, whole grains, fruit in its natural state.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Please define "good" and "healthy". All Carbs are "good" and "healthy" in the right circumstances.
  • jmule24
    Options
    Two of my favorites are Sweet Potatoes and Jasmine rice.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not really "bad or good."

I just look for more whole foods. Whole grains retain more protein, nutrients & fiber than processed ones. Higher protein & fiber is more filling. Whole fruits & veggies don't have added things that I might not want.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Beans.jpeg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Beans.jpeg

Oh yes!! Beans. Great source of fiber.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes..their the thing.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

There's no such thing as good carbs.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Anything on the "starchy vegetable" list:
    starchy-and-non-starchy-vegetable-table4.jpg
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The mung beans worked best when I sprouted them.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I really love quinoa, it's so versatile and can even be used for dessert, I've made a wicked good Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bake.

Whole grain oats are also nutritionally beneficial and delicious. If you like to cook then you'll probably have a blast with making up overnight oats recipes, I know I have.
  • conradCLE
    Options
    sugar, ice cream, dougnuts, cake. You said good carbs not good for you carbs lol
  • jmule24
    Options
    There's no such thing as good carbs.

False
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    tuber-vegetables.jpg

This reminds me that I just had sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes) for the first time in ages last night. When I made them at home before I had some stomach issues afterwards and since some do from sunchokes I was afraid that they were the culprit and have been nervous to try them again. I'd had small amounts at restaurants with no issue, so impulse bought some and roasted them with dinner Sunday. Absolutely delicious and happily no negative symptoms afterwards, so they are going to be a new favorite starch for me.

Other good answers, of course, include fruits and non-starchy veggies, although it's hard to really get your carb count up with the latter if that's the goal (not enough calories).

Low fat dairy, too.

I also am partial to pie, of course, but that's not within the spirit of the question I suppose, and that discussion is going on elsewhere. ;-)
  • BritDillinger
    Options
    Fibrous, green leafy vegetables such as spinach, romaine lettuce and broccoli. Almonds and macadamia nuts are a good source of fiber. Carbs that you find in dairy products, like cheese and heavy cream, contain lactose but are more easily consumed and don’t come in a large quantity.