Somebody please help me see where I'm going wrong!

Options
Ok, so let me first explain my usual weight loss cycle... It starts like this: I begin making much better food choices and start going to the gym again. 1 week in I'll be 2lbs down, great! I try not to weigh myself all the time, so I'll leave it another week, only to discover the 2lbs has somehow gone back on! So I've been fighting my McDonald's demons for sweet fa?! Well then forget this..... And I binge and end up back at square one.
My regular diet is pretty terrible; infact it's awful. I eat absolutely nothing in moderation and am addicted to sugar. So for me to cut everything I love out and wrestle with my cravings to make good choices every day, which I totally despise (incase I haven't made it clear!) it just devastates me to see no results. I know 2 weeks is nothing, I totally understand that, but it's about the limit of my patience with regards missing out on my comfort food!
I focus on cooking healthy meals from scratch and really scrutinizing what I put in my food, and I enjoy the diet I have when I change my eating habits... So what is the point I'm missing? I'm aiming to eat 1600cals a day at the moment and I'm going to the gym 2-3 times a week. I work 4 days a week in a supermarket so my job is quite active. I'm 5'5 and currently 150lbs :( I really don't want to go any lower that 1600cals because it just isn't sustainable for me.

I haven't binged yet this time, I am determined to be patient for once!

Thanks for reading my ramblings, any honest advice would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    For me, it helps to cut nothing out and just eat less. Especially in the beginning. Another thing that helps me is realizing this food isn't going anywhere. For some reason, this helps prevent binging.
    Try 80:20- cook and eat your healthy meals and have a small dessert.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you want mcdonalds, eat mcdonalds. Just eat less of it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Maybe a complete change isn't what you need right now. Try focusing on calories without making any drastic changes in your diet. Make a few small changes. Then, once you have that under control, make another change. Then another, and another, and how ever many you need to make until you have reached your goals.

And remember, a diet does not need to consist of 100% "healthy foods" to be a "healthy diet". You can eat for health and still have treats. Balance is the key.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Use measuring cups, a scale and smaller plates. Don't cut everything out. Just start small.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself for a while. If seeing that 2lbs come back on the scale is discouraging you enough to give up, then just stop seeing it.

It's very common for people to go up or down 3-4lbs on a day to day basis, due to changes in water retention, even while they are losing weight.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    For me, it was starting to substitute other things..... I used to get Wendy's 5 days a week, burger, fries, coke. I dropped the fries and switched to unsweetened iced tea. I switched from burger to grilled chicken sandwich. 15 pounds dropped off in a matter of about 8 weeks. Now when I do go to Wendy's, I get a large chili with cheese.

Plan some treats into your days and count it in your calories so you won't be as likely to go off the rails trying to go all healthy and then off the wagon.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If I eat mcdonalds and stay in my calorie goal for the day I gain 2 lbs +!!! It's from the increased sodium in the food. It's not real weight gain it falls back off after a few days. That being said why don't you try this...give yourself a month. Don't weigh yourself for the whole month. If you will weigh yourself then give your scale to someone to hold it for you for that month. After sticking to it fora month see if you think it's worth it. Don't eat any high sodium foods 4 days before you weigh in.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Need2exerc1se is right. Small actions, done consistently and faithfully, make a big difference over the long haul. Pick one or two small changes that are sustainable for you, and release yourself from expecting immediate results. You can do it!
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you gotta come down slowly. Just make little changes over time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Maybe a complete change isn't what you need right now. Try focusing on calories without making any drastic changes in your diet. Make a few small changes. Then, once you have that under control, make another change. Then another, and another, and how ever many you need to make until you have reached your goals.

And remember, a diet does not need to consist of 100% "healthy foods" to be a "healthy diet". You can eat for health and still have treats. Balance is the key.

So much this!

So many people think that being "healthy" means giving up everything we love and eating rabbit food three meals each day. Forget what you think you know about weight loss. You don't need to eat "healthy" or "clean" to lose weight. There's no magical combination of foods to eat (or avoid) unless you have a medical issue. Eating after a certain time of day won't store fat. No foods "burn fat" and you can't reduce fat in one specific area by doing something special. Drinking lots of water doesn't have an affect on weight loss. I think that covers most of it. :)

Babysteps! Start slow. Make little changes and keep doing those things until they become habit then add another change. Right now, that change should be getting into the habit of weighing and measuring your food and logging every single thing you eat an drink. That's it. Log everything down to chewing gum and vitamins. You don't need to change what you're eating or how much you're eating yet, just log it all and be brutally honest with yourself. You may not like what you're seeing but you'll learn a lot more if you can correlate what you're eating, with how many calories it contains.

If you don't own a kitchen scale, buy one and use it. Most food should be weighed, not measured, even salad dressing and peanut butter packaging gives servings in grams. If you're inaccurate with your logging your results will not be what you think they should be and that leads to frustration when the scale isn't moving.

After a week or so of logging, look back over your diary and figure out where you can make some substitutions that will have big impact just like a previous poster mentioned she did. Smaller portions at meals. Swapping one or two sweetened drinks with water or something zero calorie. Strive to stay at or just under the calorie goal MFP sets for you every single day. Don't worry about sugar, carbs, fat and protein for now. Once you get logging and staying under your calorie goal you can focus on those things including figuring out your TDEE, BMR, etc.

Exercise isn't needed for weight loss but it's important for fitness and overall health. Don't join a gym right away (babysteps!) just start moving more. Find an activity that you like whether that's walking, running, swimming, biking, Zumba, or whatever. Do something you like so that you'll want to stick with it. Working out shouldn't be something you dread each day.

Take "before" pictures so you can better judge your progress visually. The measuring tape is at least as important as the bathroom scale. Measure your chest, waist, hips, thighs and any other body part you want to track and start recording them in MFP now. When the scale isn't moving your body might still be shrinking especially if you're lifting weights.

The most important thing right now is that what you're doing is sustainable. You shouldn't be trying to reach an end goal weight but changing your eating habits for life so you don't gain the weight back. That means that whichever way you're eating while you lose weight should be the way you plan to eat once you reach your goal, just a little more.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I would say measure everything before eating it.. I know it is hard with Mac Donalds craving.. What stopped me going there is knowing I can't stall in my range and east there.. Over time you may well find other food choices taste better and you will naturally make better choices.. Remember processed food is high in salt and sugar.. Watch your drinks to and I am sure change will come. Good luck x
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Ok, so let me first explain my usual weight loss cycle... It starts like this: I begin making much better food choices and start going to the gym again. 1 week in I'll be 2lbs down, great! I try not to weigh myself all the time, so I'll leave it another week, only to discover the 2lbs has somehow gone back on! So I've been fighting my McDonald's demons for sweet fa?! Well then forget this..... And I binge and end up back at square one.
    My regular diet is pretty terrible; infact it's awful. I eat absolutely nothing in moderation and am addicted to sugar. So for me to cut everything I love out and wrestle with my cravings to make good choices every day, which I totally despise (incase I haven't made it clear!) it just devastates me to see no results. I know 2 weeks is nothing, I totally understand that, but it's about the limit of my patience with regards missing out on my comfort food!
    I focus on cooking healthy meals from scratch and really scrutinizing what I put in my food, and I enjoy the diet I have when I change my eating habits... So what is the point I'm missing? I'm aiming to eat 1600cals a day at the moment and I'm going to the gym 2-3 times a week. I work 4 days a week in a supermarket so my job is quite active. I'm 5'5 and currently 150lbs :( I really don't want to go any lower that 1600cals because it just isn't sustainable for me.

I haven't binged yet this time, I am determined to be patient for once!

Thanks for reading my ramblings, any honest advice would be much appreciated :)

1) STOP freaking out over changes in the numbers in the scale that are so small as to be meaningless. Seriously, I can lose up to 4 pounds OVERNIGHT just in water weight. (Which means that I also GAINED 4 pounds over the course of a day!) Little moves like that don't mean anything. You really aren't giving your changes enough time to be seeing changes in body weight at all! All you have seen is water! Either weigh yourself a LOT less or a LOT more. (I do the a lot more method. Seeing the numbers bounce all over the place is what demonstrated to me that what we see from weigh in nto weigh in is mostly water, nothing to fuss over.)

2) Don't be radical in your changes. I'm not a fast food fan, but obviously you enjoy it. So, get yourself a Happy Meal with milk for lunch. (550 calories, and a good macronutrient balance if you eat the apples!)

3) Don't rob yourself of sweets or treats, either, just be VERY conscious of them...buy very high quality treats like premium chocolate or gelato, weigh out SINGLE PORTIONS ONLY, and eat them sloooooowly and really get pleasure out of them. The worst eating habit of all is just stuffing food in your face without paying attention. Start savoring every bite....and only eat what you can and will enjoy to that degree...no shoving food in your mouth "just because."

4) Accept that weight loss takes time. You need to let go of the idea that ONE weigh in without a loss means that your efforts are "not worth it." It's not emotionally healthy to be "devastated" by normal patterns of weight loss. There is no finish line to this. You need to start eating in a way that you can eat for the rest of your life...swinging wildly from over-strict diets with unrealistic expectations to "screw this" binges will never have you feeling the way you want to feel!
  • ericaeast92
    ericaeast92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would focus on making 1 change in your diet routine per week, until that change is a permanent lifestyle change.
    For instance, if dinner is a problem area, plan your dinners for the week and have them prepped for when you get home.
    Then the next week, if snacking is a problem, come up with some healthy snack alternatives to have ready when you are hungry.
    This way, the change isn't so much all at once, causing you to binge, and you will end up with a much healthier, sustainable lifestyle.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    For me, it was starting to substitute other things..... I used to get Wendy's 5 days a week, burger, fries, coke. I dropped the fries and switched to unsweetened iced tea. I switched from burger to grilled chicken sandwich. 15 pounds dropped off in a matter of about 8 weeks. Now when I do go to Wendy's, I get a large chili with cheese.

Plan some treats into your days and count it in your calories so you won't be as likely to go off the rails trying to go all healthy and then off the wagon.

I dropped fries and hashbrowns years ago. I never liked them that much in the first place and I don't miss them. It helps tremendously when you're trying to behave.

You may love fries though -- but I bet you can find something else you eat that you could eat better.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Right off it might help to understand you have a weight fluctuation cycle that could be 3-10 pounds either way. Over time, your trend line will point downwards. Pay attention to the trend line, not the results of any one day.

JKTrendWeight.JPG

I use http://www.weightgrapher.com

Try including foods you love in your calorie limits. That will reduce your "sweet f-a" feeling. You are making small habit changes you can keep for a lifetime.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    +1 for measuring everything that you are eating. At 5'5" and 150lbs, you don't have too much to lose to begin with. So you should be at a small deficit. If you don't measure accurately, this small deficit can be wiped out by a couple of snacks in the day and then you're eating at maintenance. Long term overages will lead to the small gains. However, two lbs of fluctuation could be the time of the month water retention so you can't go by that. If the weight number freaks you out and makes you lose motivation, use a tape measure as your measure of progress. Keep honest and accurate logging and just stop looking at the scale as regularly if you can't handle the fluctuations because weight loss is definitely not linear. Best of luck!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you look like you're at a healthy weight at least from your profile picture. Maybe you could look into some of the threads that explain strength training?

Any ways:

1. Invest in a digital food scale & measure in grams & ounces. I weigh practically everything with the exception of things that are pretty accurate like individual yogurt cups (Chobani, Oikos, etc.).
    2. Try to keep incorporating your favorite treats in moderation & if you do have a binge don't beat yourself up over it. Also don't try to make up for a binge since this can lead you into a binge/restrict cycle (I fell into that cycle for a few months last year). If you have a trigger food like peanut butter then keep it out of the house until you can eat two tablespoons rather than half the jar.
    3. Realize that your weight can fluctuate for many reasons. I'm in maintenance & weigh myself every now & then. If my clothes feel like they're getting tighter I try to eat a little less.

• theoryofempire
    Options
    2 lbs is nothing in terms of it coming back on the scale. That could be from needing to use the bathroom, how long ago you ate, and if you're post workout with all of the lactic acid built up.

Look for those non-scale victories. Mine didn't move for almost a month!! But I noticed a lot of my clothes feeling looser and a jacket I bought 3 months ago is now super roomy where as before the buttons were tight/pulling.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything to lose weight that you're not prepared to continue doing for the rest of your life. I have lost 100+ lbs over the last year and 2 months, and if I had done so by jumping straight to a 1200 calorie a day diet and eating nothing but skinless chicken and arugula, then I'd be right back where I started within a week. Make gradual changes, and if your diet is too calorie restrictive, then set your goals lower, ie 1 lb a week instead of 2. If you cut back too much, then your hunger will overwhelm you, causing you to binge and end up back at the beginning again.

Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Fit what you want in your calories. Log everything as precisely as you can, use a food scale... then do the math. Find out your TDEE. You would have to eat 3500 calories over that to gain a pound of fat. If you log, and you know you ate under your TDEE, there's no reason to freak out over water weight gains.