eggs

Options
renae77
renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
I was wondering.....how healthy are eggs really? I have been wanting eggs a lot lately and just wanted to know if they are really healthy or not?

Replies

• renae77
    Options
    I was wondering.....how healthy are eggs really? I have been wanting eggs a lot lately and just wanted to know if they are really healthy or not?
  • kazzit
    kazzit Posts: 113
    Options
    I LIKE EGGS TO THINK IT THE WHITES THAT ARE GOOD FOR YOU BUT NOT SURE ,BUT I LIKE THE YOLK LOL
  • nursemeg21
    Options
    Eggs are a very good source of protein. Although due to their cholesterol content you should only have about 3 eggs/week.
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    i was just told by a nutritionist that the whole "yolks are bad" is old school of thought...she has me eating 4 eggs a day.....now if i keel over from a heart attck next month i guess you will know the real answer! LOL :laugh: :sad: :laugh:

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=108677

i found this link interesting...of course it was the first article that popped up when i googled the topic and not very thorough research but this is the same thing that i was told....

also - just a guess here - but maybe people think eggs are so bad because many americans (i have vivid images of my dad doing this on the weekends) enjoy their eggs fried with lots of butter/oil with a side of greasy bacon/sausage, and buttery toast...maybe that is where the bad stigma comes from...????
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a source of "good" cholesterol and are excellent for increasing one's intake of protein. There is no limit on them, unless you are watching your fat intake, in which case you can mix egg whites with whole eggs to make them leaner, or many people just eat the whites. You can buy egg whites in liquid form near all the other eggs. I agree that the unhealthiness of eggs usually has to do with the way they are cooked and what is eaten with them.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I've been craving eggs to - probably due to their high protien. Listen to your body, generally when you crave something (really crave, not just think about what would taste good) its your body sending you a message. We just forget to listen. :smile:
  • ahmee
    ahmee Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there, eggs are a excelent source of protein and omega 3, they are really filling so you only need one or two a day, a large boiled egg is 100 cals and 7.4 grams of fat

Hope that helps
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I eat about 4 a week. I just had my cholesterol checked and that's in the "good" range as well. If you are worried about that part...go have it checked. It's a simple blood test and doesn't take long to get the results back. :smile:
  • bcj145
    bcj145 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any type of eggbeaters? They are really good and 1/2 cup is only about 70 calories. It is the perfect amount for an omlette.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i think eggs are great for nutrition, including the yolk.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    The wife and I were having an egg craving lately so here is what I made for breakfast.

half a cup of egg beaters (Basically egg whites.) Total=60 calories no fat.
    Two slices of oscar mayer ready to serve canadien bacon=40 calories 1g of fat (Chopped)
    one slice of alpine lace reduced fat swiss cheese. 70 calories 4.5 grams of fat.

Put em all together and you have one tasty omlette for 170 calories with 5-6 grams of fat.

Did the same for my wife but replaced the Canadian bacon with fresh mushrooms.

I recommend it very much :bigsmile:
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I LIKE EGGS, YUMMY!!! I usually use egg beaters, but if I am out I will use 2 egg whites and one whole egg for a nice BIG omelette, add a little shredded sharp cheddar, onions, black olives and mushrooms and you have a breakfast fit for a queen (or king)!!
  • renae77
    Options
    I LIKE EGGS, YUMMY!!! I usually use egg beaters, but if I am out I will use 2 egg whites and one whole egg for a nice BIG omelette, add a little shredded sharp cheddar, onions, black olives and mushrooms and you have a breakfast fit for a queen (or king)!!

I had an omelette for lunch so to speak. It was 3 whole eggs (mind you I skipped breakfast) with 2 slices of 98% fat free ham, 2% milk mild shredded cheese and about 1/4 cup of fat free milk and I cooked it with light butter.
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    The wife and I were having an egg craving lately so here is what I made for breakfast.

half a cup of egg beaters (Basically egg whites.) Total=60 calories no fat.
    Two slices of oscar mayer ready to serve canadien bacon=40 calories 1g of fat (Chopped)
    one slice of alpine lace reduced fat swiss cheese. 70 calories 4.5 grams of fat.

Put em all together and you have one tasty omlette for 170 calories with 5-6 grams of fat.

Did the same for my wife but replaced the Canadian bacon with fresh mushrooms.

I recommend it very much :bigsmile:

I do this too but I use fat free cheese and I put it on one slice of double fiber bread. Yoday was the first day in 2 months that I staryed from that. I was feeling for something different but in the end I was craving my eggs. :sad: :noway:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, feed my kids a lot of eggs for breakfast too.

I avoid the yolk for myself most days, somedays you just gotta have a yellow scrambled egg though.

Here are some things I like to do with my eggs:

Egg white omelet (my fav)
    4 egg whites
    tbsp jalapenos
    8 grape or cherry tomatoes
    1/4 avacado
    1/2 lite mexican blend cheese (or just cheddar jack)

The kids love egg sandwiches, I make two sandwiches from the following
    2 egg whites and one whole egg scrambled but cooked omelet style so you can cut it
    toasted english muffin (one for each)
    2 pieces canadian bacon

my daughter likes cheddar on hers and my son just likes pepper and a little salt

eggs aren't the enemy, using everything in moderation allows us to enjoy all life has to offer!