Cramps while running

Options
I am getting a cramp everytime I go for a run and it starts at about 2 mins into my run. Does anyone know how to get rid of the cramp while still running? Or know what causes this?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Slow down and breath
  • niki_002
    niki_002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did try walking it out but as soon as a start running again it instantly comes back
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Do you eat before you run? How much did you drink before?

I find having a fuller stomach leads to cramps/nausea.
    But ultimately it's usually from going too quickly.

A good trick I use if I get a cramp, make a fist with your thumb inside of your fingers and squeeze tight! I find it helps take my mind off of it and I don't notice them as badly.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    niki_002 wrote: »
    I did try walking it out but as soon as a start running again it instantly comes back
    The most common cause of this is running too fast. You should be able to hold light conversation during a run.
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If it's a side cramp, it's likely food or fluids in the belly that could be the culprit. I've made the mistake of starting a run too soon after dinner and I will always get a cramp. For me, I just keep running and it'll go away eventually.
  • niki_002
    niki_002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you! I thought it might have been the eating before running so this morning I tried on an empty stomach but got the same thing so maybe I just need to take it a bit easier.
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It could be muscular - maybe you need to strengthen up your core with some ab work.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not sure about your situation, but when I first started running I had the same issue. Turns out I have some adhesion from my last c-section. The only way to fix it is to have another operation. Not doing that. I slowed down to a jog and started doing plank and core building exercises and now I rarely get much crampiness but I only run a 12 minute mile.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Slow down.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is not a solution; but just a funny story. I've been running for years and when I get that side cramp I tell myself that it was fat breaking away - the mind games we play! Fortunately, it's not often and doesn't last long.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Cramp where? Are you talking about a side stitch? A side stitch is caused by poor breathing technique.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Slow down and quit forcing a pace.
  • engmomma
    engmomma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Slow down and quit forcing a pace.

this

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I use to get those too. Slow down and drink water then slowly add in a jog.
  • stephanie1x2
    stephanie1x2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have that problem though as i started running more frequently the problem got less and less make sure your breath consistently
  • bobthemeh
    Options
    Eat a banana each morning. Drink more than a gallon of water each day. Stretch before and after your workout.