Wii vs Xbox Kinetic

Options
steffilily
steffilily Posts: 149
My husband and I have been discussing about buying a Wii for the family ( we have 2 kids who will both turn 2 and 4 this summer). But someone else suggested that we might prefer to get the kinetic which would be easier for the kids to use. I wanted to ask your opinions on both of those game consoles and which you think would be the better investment. I would also like to use it for exercise.

Replies

• BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I have played both, and own a Kinect, and I like the Kinect better. Your body is the controller and goes off of movements you make. You dont have to hold on to anything(controller) and it is a lot of fun. A lot of neat games that you can get for it to. So in my personal opinion, the Kinect is better.
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have used the Wii at my sister's house, but we have a Kinect at home. We much prefer the Kinect. For a start there's nothing to hold. Then there is the brilliant interaction you have with the game itself (I can get the crowd cheering for me!). It's brilliant. The dance and fitness games are great too. At the moment there isn't anything like as much choice of games but that's because the Wii has been around longer. Kinects are the future of gaming!! I would definitely recommend it over the Wii.
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    I have played both. I own the wii but we are saving for the kinect. I would go with the kinect if you are wanting it for working out. The wii is what I got my exercise program started with and it was fine but if I had to choose I would go with the kinect.
  • richiedbond
    richiedbond Posts: 58
    Options
    I have played both but prefer the kinect. I also have a 4 year old who has messed with both and seems to do better with the kinect. ON a side note the biggest loser for the kinect is kicking my butt so added bonus...
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've played both and i think that the Kinect is a lot better. i found it more fun, and its also good for a workout!
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have both a Wii and a Xbox Kinetic . I've had my Wii for years so I'm more use to that then the Kinetic . So far I'm liking the Wii better (but i do hate having a controller all the time). You need to have plenty of space to use the Kinetic (a 6' x 6' area or bigger) You have to be 3 feet away for the Kinetic to work properly. If room isn't that big of an issue I'd go for the Xbox. There is a Sesame game coming out for the Xbox that might be fun for your kids. But there are also a lot of family games for the Wii.

Good Luck.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I would choose the Kinect over the Wii because it does pick up your movement a lot better. Its really fun with the dance and excercise games too! Plus the kids will enjoy it because they have the kinectimals or a dance kind of game. I love my Kinect and wouldnt trade it for anything else :)
  • Osiris_Blue
    Osiris_Blue Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I own both and the Kinect is way better. Games like Dance Central & Kinect Adventures really burn the cals and are loads of fun at the same time. Also the Kinect is much newer so the games and fitness packs are just going to get better and better.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i've played both, and like both, i have a wii, the choice of games is better i feel, and although holding the controller is a pain, it picks up movement well, the kinect is great in bigger spaces, but i dont have the luxury of a massive room, either would be a great investment, i'd reccomend trying both out, at friends or something before you buy x
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I also agree with going with the Kinect ...like a lot of pepole have already stated I own both wii & Kinect...& the Kinect gives you more freedom of movement easy for the kids to play...& again as an added bonus you can do some fitness games:tongue:
  • LostButterfly
    LostButterfly Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have played both, and own a Kinect, and I like the Kinect better. Your body is the controller and goes off of movements you make. You dont have to hold on to anything(controller) and it is a lot of fun. A lot of neat games that you can get for it to. So in my personal opinion, the Kinect is better.

100% agree with this. I have both and never turn on the Wii anymore. The Kinect is the way to go. The no controller is great, no worrying about holding something or throwing it at the tv by accident.
    There are great exercise games, Zumba, Your Shape Fitness, Biggest Loser, but there are games that will make you work up a sweat too. Kinect Adventures which comes free with the kinect has an obstacle course that will give you a work out like you wont believe! ;) There is also Dance Central that is fun and quite a work out. So many fun possibilities!!

Plus the Kinect is newer, and will have more games coming out. I dont think Nintendo is going to concentrate on putting new games out for it much now because they are working on getting the new Wii 2 our next hear
  • hope_khm
    hope_khm Posts: 26
    Options
    I agree with the majority about the Kinetic. I own a Wii and it's fun - but I had the chance to play Kinetic at my nieces house last weekend. The games are similar to Wii but the BIG difference is you don't have to stand on a board or hold a controller. On the Wii you have to put the controller in a pocket or hold for some of the aerobic games. Your kids seem pretty small to be playing video games - I'm not sure at that age if there are games for their level. But anything that gets you off the couch moving has got to be good for the whole family!
  • kdonkin
    kdonkin Posts: 10
    Options
    I am a manager at GameStop and own both systems, along with both kinect and Wii fit. I personally love love love my kinect for the fitness games. They are MUCH more advanced and better quality than what you will find on the wii. But there are other factors you may wish to consider before buying an entire system. Things like price and what other kinds of ways you wish to use it. You have young children, and both systems will provide a variety of challenges for them. Their motor skills and level of coordination are going to determine their ability to play games on either system, not necessarily the system itself. The Wii will have many, many more options for young children. Kinect is still new and their game library is very small. Other games you will find on an xbox360 will require the handheld controller, and with a few exceptions, are aimed more toward a teenage and adult audience. Still, at their age you could find enough in the game library to keep them satisfied for a while.

Pricing. I would suggest that you buy the system used. Not only is it cheaper, but you will have the option to play it and return it if you don't think it will suit your needs. Once you crack the manufactures seal on a brand new system, you cannot return it, for any reason except defect, and then you will only get a replacement, not a refund. Same goes with games. Go to an actual game store, not a big box, because the level of expertise you will encounter is much higher. I spend a lot of my time correcting misconceptions propagated by Walmart employees that know nothing. The prices on these systems are regulated by the manufacturer, so don't worry about that.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll be happy to answer them.
  • Boladefuego326
    Boladefuego326 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have both...and I would suggest the wii only because it currently has more games for a much younger audience. The kinnect is probably the way to go only because once again they JUST came out, and will be releasing new games fo younger audience. The wii has the controllers that if not strapped well to the childs wrist could break the tv or even worse each other. The kinnect doesnt need a controller so theres no worry there :)

Overall I vote the kinnect

hope this helps :)

gl
  • mkiesel33
    mkiesel33 Posts: 16
    Options
    I own a PS3, XBOX and a WII they are all different and I would not say one is better than another because we use each one for different games and have different experences with each one. So I say wait till one of them goes on sell and get the one you want based on price of console and price of games. I agree with kdonkin its basically the same thing i'm trying to say