Scale Recommendations Needed

Options
RBXChas
RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
Hi everyone! I hope you are all having a great Sunday!

I need some help on my scale. I know I'm not crazy because my husband has the same problem, but my digital scale fluctuates WAY too much. For example, this morning I got on the scale first thing (post-bathroom), and it read 214.2. At first I was psyched - another .6 pounds gone since yesterday (yes, I am a daily weigher, I can't help it). However, I know my scale, so I don't accept a reading until I've gotten it three times. So I brushed my teeth and got back on, and it read 216. Then I got on again, and it read 216.6. So I woke up the baby, fed him, and went back upstairs (before any food or drink for myself) to get a 3x reading of 214.6, which is what I counted as my reading for today.

My husband claims that the scale told him he weighed 168 on Thursday, then 172 on Friday, then 168 again on Saturday. I mean, I know our weights fluctuate from day to day, but four pounds? The man doesn't eat, so I know he didn't go on some crazy binge on Thursday to justify a +4 on the scale!

My scale is a Weight Watchers glass digital scale that I got some time in 2004-2006. (Thankfully it didn't cost me anything, or I'd feel bad about ditching it.) What I like about it is that it reads in increments of 1/5 of a pound, which is nice if you've only lost .2 pounds. I used to have a Thinner glass digital scale that I got at Bed Bath N Beyond probably in 2003-2004, which was more consistent, but it only read in 1/2-pound increments.

Oh, and I replaced the batteries last week thinking that may be the issue, since I was getting the low-battery indicator, but there's been no consistency since doing so.

My bathroom floor is 12"x12" tile, and the scale fits on one tile. If I straddle it across two or more tiles, the readings get crazy, so I always place the scale on the same tile and as close to the same position as possible, since I know the tiles are not 100% level (just the nature of the tiles, nevermind how they are laid down). So that is one variable I've done my best to eliminate. I always do my weigh-ins to get my 3x reading without moving the scale so that it's totally eliminated.

Anyway, point being, I've done everything I can to prove that it is the scale, not anything else, that's inconsistent.

Does anyone know of a CONSISTENT digital scale that reads in increments of less than 1/2-pound? I would prefer a brick-and-mortar store or someplace where I can get free shipping.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Replies

• natalieshae
    natalieshae Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HI..i am new at this fitness pal but i do know that you weigh less in the mornings. Try weighing at the same time everyday.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on someone else's post. I haven't bought it yet but someone on here recommended it .....

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i use the new version of weight watchers scale, weigh in 1/5th of pounds, body fat, bone mass, water mass, and BMI, always accurate for me!
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my old scale. Then I got one from walmart...it was a Health O Meter. I love it. The number is always accurate. It also has a way you can program up to 4 differents peoples weights in it and it keeps track of your last 4 weigh ins and the total that you have lost so far. It is awesome. There are 2-3 different kinds of that brand and they run about $30. Well worth the cost. I would recommend it to any one.
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my weightwatchers scales!!!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Eat Smart makes quality scales and their awesome with the support they provide! If you decide you want something to make tracking really easy you could try the withings, but Eat Smart is more reasonably priced
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    This is making me think scales should be replaced every couple of years instead of batteries simply replaced. I know the number of times you move it (even just to store it out of the way for the day) can mess up the sensor pads & calibration, digital scales are simply LESS effected by this then analog scales.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    before you go buying a new scale, i would suggest replacing the battery
    I bought a scale from Avon for just £5 when I bought £30 of cosmetics (which I was going to buy regardless of the scale offer)
    ine started going crazy and i thought it was because it was cheap - turns out the battery was low
    replaced it a few weeks back and now my scale reads the same as my doctors scale (I trust doctors scales)
    it may be worth a couple of £ for a new battery as opposed to forking out for a new scale
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Get the Taylor 9875! Everyone I know loves it, it looks great, and they sell it at Target. IT IS SUPER ACCURATE! I have owned SEVERAL scales, and this one is by far the best. I hear good things about the Eat Smart, but you do have to order it.

I did a product review on Amazon about it... that's how much I love that scale!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The newer scales are getting better and better and are much cheaper too. I got a digital scale from Walmart for about $25 and I compared it to my doctors office. It was bang on. When it started to fluctuate, I changed the battery which was only a few months old and it corrected the problem. It also has data storage for 5 people, goes in1/5 intervals and measure fat/water/muscle etc. I did have to move it to the bedroom though, as it wiggled too much on the bathroom tiles :)
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I used a weight watchers scale and it's usually pretty accurate. I was leary of buying another digital scale because I had the same problem you had. Sometimes with scales you get what you pay for. My first digital scale was a cheap one and I hated it!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    HI..i am new at this fitness pal but i do know that you weigh less in the mornings. Try weighing at the same time everyday.

I am already doing this - it's first thing in the AM - and I always get up at the same time (even weekends) unless for some reason I have to get up extra early. I keep eliminating the variables, but even within a minute or two the scale can vary as much as two pounds!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I just posted this on someone else's post. I haven't bought it yet but someone on here recommended it .....

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b

Thank you! The reviews look pretty awesome, plus I have Amazon Prime, so it's free 2-day shipping for me if I decide to buy it!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    i use the new version of weight watchers scale, weigh in 1/5th of pounds, body fat, bone mass, water mass, and BMI, always accurate for me!

That's good to know - I'm not worried about the other numbers so much, as I know those can get funky, too. The WW scale I had also has those features, plus memory, but once I replaced the batteries, those functions stopped working completely. I didn't expect it to retain the stats that were in its memory, but it stopped being able to read anything other than weight.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I had the same problem with my old scale. Then I got one from walmart...it was a Health O Meter. I love it. The number is always accurate. It also has a way you can program up to 4 differents peoples weights in it and it keeps track of your last 4 weigh ins and the total that you have lost so far. It is awesome. There are 2-3 different kinds of that brand and they run about $30. Well worth the cost. I would recommend it to any one.

I live pretty close to Wal-Mart but avoid that place at all costs. I just hate it! However I will look up this brand to see if I can get it online, and maybe I can find a good price. $30 is fair for a good digital scale - any more than that is probably excessive!
  • Bethannny
    Bethannny Posts: 66
    Options
    My scale does the same thing. Sometime it'll tell me that I've lost 5 pounds, then it will tell me I only lost a fraction of a pound when I get back on. It's very frustrating. I'm looking to invest in a new one as well.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    This is making me think scales should be replaced every couple of years instead of batteries simply replaced. I know the number of times you move it (even just to store it out of the way for the day) can mess up the sensor pads & calibration, digital scales are simply LESS effected by this then analog scales.

I never thought of this - I move it out of the way every day, and since my bathroom floor is tile, while I don't drop the scale, it's pretty hard to put it down without its being loud. I've also moved several times with this scale, so God only knows what that's done to it!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital Weight Watchers scale and just posted on someone else's site that I have problems with my scale. The weight changes depending whether I step on with my right foot first or my left foot first. I went back to a very basic (no batteries required) scale because it seems to be more reliable for me.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    before you go buying a new scale, i would suggest replacing the battery
    I bought a scale from Avon for just £5 when I bought £30 of cosmetics (which I was going to buy regardless of the scale offer)
    ine started going crazy and i thought it was because it was cheap - turns out the battery was low
    replaced it a few weeks back and now my scale reads the same as my doctors scale (I trust doctors scales)
    it may be worth a couple of £ for a new battery as opposed to forking out for a new scale

I just replaced the batteries last week (I mentioned that in my OP)... I thought that might be the problem, but unfortunately it wasn't :(