potassium - labeling in mfp and getting enough

Options
I never seem to get enough potassium - partly because it is not added usually for such high potassium foods as asparagus, and so I have to search to find it correctly, and also because it's really hard to get the required amount. Y'all got suggestions/hacks?

thanks!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Lots of items in the mfp database don't have the right numbers for potassium so you may be getting more than you think. You can use the USDA's database to find the legit numbers at: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

If you google 'potassium rich foods' you will get lots of lists of them. Here's a good one to start with: http://www.drugs.com/cg/potassium-content-of-foods-list.html
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​You should try to use whole food items without an asterisk (MFP-entered) at the beginning of the name (on the Web version only). In general search for vegetables and meat in the format "vegetable/meat - raw" or "vegetable/meat - cooked." Search for fruit in the format "fruit - raw." If USDA is in the name of the food item, there will most likely be an asterisk in the name, which means it is user-entered and you should verify that the nutritional information is correct by using the USDA National Nutrient Database.

For example, searches for "asparagus - raw" and "asparagus - cooked" bring up the following non-asterisked entries at the top of the search results display.

vlijorkmsagt.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    ​You should try to use whole food items without an asterisk (MFP-entered) at the beginning of the name (on the Web version only).

This. He beat me to it and always explains it well.
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    this is so very helpful thank you all!!
  • BritDillinger
    BritDillinger Posts: 77
    edited March 2015
    Options
    NoSalt is a replacement for regular salt that uses potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. Put that in anything you'd use regular salt with and you'll have met your potassium goals.

I use LiteSalt right now and that has 350mg potassium per 1/4 tsp. Once that is gone I am going to get NoSalt, which has way more potassium. LiteSalt has sodium in it, too. I get enough sodium in anything else I consume. I just need more potassium.

I will just pour some chicken broth, pop it in the microwave and then sprinkle the 1/4 tsp in it, stir and enjoy.