Question on 5k - 10k Races and Phobias (Both serious and fun styles)

Options
I have been on MFP since early July, 2014 but am usually quiet on the forums. Over this period I have lost 22lbs and have found a love for running.

I have a very serious phobia that does impact a lot of the choices I make and a lot of the places I go. The phobia relates to vomit. I can't see it, hear it, smell it in any capacity including cartoons or movies.

I would like very much so to do some 5ks or 10ks, but my phobia is holding me back from doing so...

What are the serious chances of me seeing someone throw up during one of these types of races? Also, do my chances differ from a local community or charity type 5k from one like a Tough Mudder type? I appreciate any responses you can give, and thank you in advance for your respect with the phobia... (Talking about it in text form is more than OK, just no images please.)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I did a 10k last year... I didn't see any vomit.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k last year... no vomitting. There was one teenager over to the side who looked like he was faint (his dad was with him), but other than that, nada.

Honestly, when you're running a race, you feel more adrenaline than anything. I could barely concentrate on what others were doing. I was all about me and making it to the finish line.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of 5ks - no barfing occurred that I could see. Tough Mudders, though, might be more likely but I haven't been to one of those.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've done 3 or 4 5ks and have never seen anybody vomit. I just do low key community races, as I am not a serious competitor. I don't do stuff like Tough Mudders but I would think that the odds of somebody getting physically ill doing that would be greater because it's a lot more taxing on the body than just running 5k on a nice clear path/road.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Usually no vomit on any 5km's or 10km's - not that I have seen at all.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I ran a very hilly 10K in February and I did see one woman being sick. But there were over 5,000 people there so I was probably just unlucky! Only time I've ever seen it, and I couldn't hear her or smell anything.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have run many 5k, 1/2 marathons and one marathon. I have never seen vomit...well except my own after a night filled with wine before a 5k fun run.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I've only seen one person on their knees in the grass but they were just gasping for air. I haven't seen any actual vomit. I doubt you'll ever see anyone lose their lunch.

Congrats on the weight loss.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I have run many 5k, 1/2 marathons and one marathon. I have never seen vomit...well except my own after a night filled with wine before a 5k fun run.
    BAHAH those runs are brutal
    :s
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since early July, 2014 but am usually quiet on the forums. Over this period I have lost 22lbs and have found a love for running.

I have a very serious phobia that does impact a lot of the choices I make and a lot of the places I go. The phobia relates to vomit. I can't see it, hear it, smell it in any capacity including cartoons or movies.

I would like very much so to do some 5ks or 10ks, but my phobia is holding me back from doing so...

What are the serious chances of me seeing someone throw up during one of these types of races? Also, do my chances differ from a local community or charity type 5k from one like a Tough Mudder type? I appreciate any responses you can give, and thank you in advance for your respect with the phobia... (Talking about it in text form is more than OK, just no images please.)

i have yet to do a race where i've seen someone throw up.

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone throw up at races and I've done maybe 20ish? You're good!
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've done several 5k's and 10k's, a couple half marathons, a warrior dash and a tough mudder and yet to see anyone puking. Get out there and enjoy yourself, and if you are afraid, wear headphones while you run!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Don't have babies. I'm just saying. Guaranteed way to see vomit.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Spoiler: Don't have kids - they tend to do that kind of thing. ;)
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't seen any people getting sick at marathons either. I'd also recommend putting on headphones and looking straight ahead as well. That way you might not be so tempted to look around and see something you shouldn't.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    In all of the races I've done, including 2 5k mud runs & a run up a 4000ft mountain, I've seen one person on the verge of vomitting. But I'm 98% positive she was wicked hungover and pushed herself too hard on a 5k race
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I haven't done many but I've only seen someone vomit during my Spartan...

You most likely won't witness this. :)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I've only done a few, but I've never seen anyone vomit. I think the statistical likelihood is about the same as you'd see anywhere else in public. Maybe less, because someone who woke up feeling a bit sick would probably stay home from a race, but might still try to go to work or whatever.

If I were you, I'd try to sign up for a race during a nice cool time of the year. If anyone's going to boot during a race, it would probably be while running on a 105 degree day.

Also, I'd probably avoid Tough Mudder type races. They are a hell of a lot of fun, but they can tend to encourage pushing one's endurance beyond the point of wisdom.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    non-competitive (as in "not front of the pack") 5 k or 10 k - very unlikely. So if you're off a running track met, you should be fine. Also did a Spartan race, not in the "comp" wave. No one got sick that I could see (3-4 injuries, though). I think people hold back in that one since you don't even know how long it is going to be or what obstacles are there so you need to be conservative.

I've seen longer races with some people getting sick. Never seen one in a road (bike) race, but yes one in a CX and a close call at the end of a time trial.

You should be fine. And also a resounding yes to the kids - those are little barf factories.
  • loveiscloser
    Options
    Spoiler: Don't have kids - they tend to do that kind of thing. ;)

Yes I am well aware of this...I am hoping it will be different when it's a spawn of my own, considering it is OK when I vomit. But there will be therapy before this, and I am OK with infant vomit.

It's such a complicated situation and I really hate it. That isn't the point of this thread though, haha.

I appreciate everyone's encouraging responses. I will keep an eye out for spring races!