Hoping to start cycling: need bike selection advice

Options
Huffdogg
Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
I did a search of the forum here before posting anything, but it didn't do me much good. Basically, I'm looking to start riding a bike for fitness purposes. There is a huge stretch of very nice paved trail near my house that I could utilize, and I don't really have any interest in mountain biking in an off-road way, so I'll just be riding it on those paved trails or roadways. I am not sure how much I'm going to like it, so I'm not willing to invest a ton of money right off the bat, but I want to get the right design of bike so I can get a feel for it properly. I anticipate doing an hour or so at a time, so not tons of miles all at once, but obviously I'm looking for something that's going to put me in a position that will be comfortable enough to maintain a decent pace for a moderate length of time without screwing with my back or my butt. Any info any of you cyclists out there can provide for me would be great.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Some bike shops rent bikes. Maybe you can rent one and try it out for a day or two....
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you want to spend, what your real goals are... I've been looking for a road bike with a view to using it in triathlons. The prices are £300 to £10,000.

I am planning to buy as cheaply as possible for as light as possible, you can always change parts over (like forks, wheels and so on to decrease weight) as you progress...
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Costco carries quality bike and have good return policy's
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Go to a bike shop and talk to the experts. And BTW... they all screw with your butt, you can't get around it... you gotta get your bike butt, until then, it hurts.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Some bike shops rent bikes. Maybe you can rent one and try it out for a day or two....

Great idea! I'll look into that.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Costco carries quality bike and have good return policy's

Yeah, but I'm not going to buy a costco membership just to shop for a bike lol. There's also not one less than an hour from my house.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    I am considering getting a hybrid bike. I've been using a mountain bike as I live fairly close to the Lake district and like getting off road, but it's too heavy for cycle tracks etc which is where I cycle most.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Well fit is probably the most important part of getting a new bike. Getting properly fit will ensure that you are mostly pain free through out your rides. Most bike shops will fit you for about $150 if you don't buy a bike at their shop.

With that being said, most shops will also include a fitting and maintenance with purchase (which is an amazing deal considering how much maintenance can cost) So this will probably save you in the long run, but have you spending more out of the gate.

To me it sounds like you'll be looking into getting a road bike. Road bikes are probably the more expensive out of the types (road/hybrid/mountain) of bikes. Its also definitely worth it to spend the money on a decent bike now, than buy a walmart bike and then wish you hadn' t later as you progress with your cycling.

My first bike I actually got from Walmart, and then returned it about 3 weeks later (thank you Walmart return policy) and upgraded to a Specialized from my local shop. Wow, let me tell you the difference was like night and day. A proper fit and a a few hundred more spent, I now ride 50+ miles straight every Saturday with little to no pain as where I was riding the Walmart bike for about 1/2 an hour and my *kitten* hurt like hell!

Also make sure you test ride. Most shops will let you test ride for a fee to make sure you like the bike and that it is a proper fit for your body. They also apply the test ride fee to your purchase as well, so its a win, win!

****Also when I say most shops at least its most shops in my area do these things. Hopefully you can find one that these things also apply.
  • Osiris_Blue
    Osiris_Blue Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I bought a Cube hardtail mountain bike (Ltd Pro) and put slick tyres on it so it's easier to ride on paved trais and you get suspension at the front which makes it nicer when you hit the bumps. Cube bikes are very well spec'd for the money check out their website.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a mt. Bike I got off of Craigs list for 10.00 because like you I wasn't sure if I would stick with it. Really like it. Etc. I love it...cycling..not the bike. I am glad you have posted this question because I was thinking about upgrading too. I see a lot of Treks around. I know they are a lot faster and everything than my bike and way better suited for the road. I am saving for a new bike though so I can have a good one when I do make a purchase.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    bump for weekend visibility ;)
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Make sure to go to a local bike shop for a proper fitting. When you know your size you can check craigs list, or some local cycle clubs hand down their older bikes to other members as they upgrade.

I'd recommend a plush ,hybrid, or touring bike bike.
    Plush - ($700)Road bike with a more relaxed geometry. More upright seat position and longer wheelbase. Good for long comfy miles.
    Hybrid - ($500)A mountain bike with road tires basically. (Don't get the huge gel saddles. They cause chaffing.)
    Touring - ($800)Longer wheelbase then a mountain bike. Usually steel frame(mendable by welders) with lots of racks for gear. They are geared low so you can spin your way up any hill.

Remember when buying a bike your buying the frame, not the components. Components can always be upgraded later as you wish. The frame is the same forever. I suggest getting a triple crank, more gears give you more options.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Well the local bike shop idea is dead in the water. No such thing. I wonder if there is any rough mathematical way to determine the proper frame size based on inseam length or somesuch.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    You can try this.

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/a/bike_size_hub.htm

I haven't fully looked through it yet though.

I've also heard good things about Performance Bicycle. You can check them out at performancebike.com
  • graveyard88
    graveyard88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This may be what your looking for

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    This may be what your looking for

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit

This looks outstanding. I will give it a thorough read and go from there!