Do you add raw fruits to your calorie count?

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness! This is difficult, haha!

I'm one of those people who grazes on snacks in between meals all day long, so this transition is a little difficult for me.

I'm definitely going to continue counting them then. I can't say I'm not a bit bummed though. :\

Can you prepare them the night before in baggies or containers? I usually prepare everything for the week at the beginning (okay not meals but I at least chop up veggies and fruits). That way when I get them out, I put a bowl or plate on my food scale, zero it out and then put my stuff on individually and add that to my diary.

Sometimes, with meals, I actually write them down on a piece of paper handy until I can go to the recipe builder

On that note, I had a little over 400 calories today of just fruit and veggies.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    yes
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I think I have seen this question a few times now.

Do you think they are former weight watchers? They don't allocate points to fruit and veggies do they?

Seems odd question to me. Imagine counting anything but deciding not to count specific things.

How many people are on the bus?
    20, so we can fit 6 more on.
    Yeah 20 but I didn't count the 5 people with red hair.

It's a weight watchers thing, but to compensate for it they give everyone a super low goal (I think I've read it's like 1000 calories per day if you convert the points into calories).
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Do you think they are former weight watchers? They don't allocate points to fruit and veggies do they?

Seems odd question to me. Imagine counting anything but deciding not to count specific things.

I don't really know if this is a Weight Watchers thing. This is my first time trying to diet.

I don't really know if this is a Weight Watchers thing. This is my first time trying to diet.

Yeah count everything. Maybe not chewing gum and things like that. Pretty sure they are like zero for everything except for like 2 cal.

But definitely fruit and veg and lollies and meat and bread etc
  • flomic
    flomic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness! This is difficult, haha!

I'm one of those people who grazes on snacks in between meals all day long, so this transition is a little difficult for me.

I'm definitely going to continue counting them then. I can't say I'm not a bit bummed though. :\

:) Know the feeling. Hang in there! Grabbing a cell phone app really helped me log the little stuff...
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Of course you should. They have calories don't they? If you are counting calories you need to count ALL calories.

Agree. You know this.
  • SabrinaLovesPandora
    SabrinaLovesPandora Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Another question?

(I'm vegetarian btw)

What should I eat to not feel so hungry in between meals?
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    fat and protein
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Another question?

(I'm vegetarian btw)

Find protein packed snacks (at least that is what keep me full). Do you eat cheese? Cheese and apples as a snack really help me stay full.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Another question?

(I'm vegetarian btw)

Can you open your diary? Or give us a run down of what you're eating now.

Without that-- make sure you're loading up on fat/protein. Do you eat any dairy or eggs at all? Fiber also helps some people. So think beans, nuts, legumes, etc.
  • vjessup
    vjessup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a Weight Watchers thing...most fruits and veggies (but not all) are "free" foods. I was an avid Weight Watchers fan until I found MFP. MFP is free, but the fruits and veggies are not.
  • SabrinaLovesPandora
    Options
    I'll open it!

I do eat dairy and eggs/
  • SabrinaLovesPandora
    Options
    (My diet is pretty bad still, don't just me too hard) LOL
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Make sure your deficit isn't too high.
    Get enough fats into your diet.
    Get enough protein in your diet.

Experiment with meal timing and meal sizes.

How tall are you and how much weight do you have to lose?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Okay then add things like greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, and eggs.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Count everything.

I can count to purple backwards.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Love it.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You can always snack on nuts and seeds.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'll open it!

I do eat dairy and eggs/

I'm a vegetarian who eats eggs and dairy. I find paying attention to protein and fat are the keys to keeping me feeling less hungry.

Feel free to look at my diary for how I distribute my macros. I eat full fat cottage cheese and 2% Greek yogurt for the fat content.

I had been eating the lower fat versions of both of those, and wasn't feeling very satisfied. between meals. As soon as I started paying attention to upping my fat intake, that problem went away.

Another thing I find helpful is to not eat breakfast too early. I used to always think that I had to eat breakfast right away, and it's not true. I like a cup of tea first thing, but that's it. I usually wait until ... gawd... today I got up at 4:30 and didn't eat until noon!

For some people starting the day eating early means jump starting their hunger. For others, breakfast works. Play around and see what works best for you.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Okay, first piece of advice-- don't use anything in the database that says "homemade" or "generic" unless you have no choice.

"Homemade peanut butter sandwich"-- how many pieces of what kind of bread? How much peanut butter? How much jelly and what kind? Etc.

"Scrambled egg with spinach"-- how many eggs? How much milk? Oil? Butter? How much spinach?

Instead, either use the recipe builder and enter what you actually ate, or enter each thing separately in your diary.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Second piece of advice-- do your best to double the amount of protein you're eating.