Losing pounds but not inches :(

Options
Please tell me what my problem is. I eat around 1200 cal a day and burn an average of 350-500 a day. I work out 5 days or more a week.

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing that?
  • regan8160
    regan8160 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been losing pounds not inches for roughly a week. I've been working out and eating this way since the beginning of January
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    regan8160 wrote: »
    I've been losing pounds not inches for roughly a week. I've been working out and eating this way since the beginning of January

So...this week you did not lose any inches? I'm confused. Were you losing inches every week since you started in January? You're not going to lose inches every week.
  • Secretjannell
    Secretjannell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    you may not be eating enough and losing muscle instead of fat, try eating back some of the calories you burned and upping your strength training
  • regan8160
    Options
    I haven't really lost much of anything overall and seem to busting my butt trying to get somewhere for so long. Just not sure why I'm doing all I am and not really seeing any results
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I haven't really lost much of anything overall and seem to busting my butt trying to get somewhere for so long. Just not sure why I'm doing all I am and not really seeing any results

Can you define "not much of anything"? How much have you lost? What were your starting stats? These things can make a big difference.
  • regan8160
    Options
    I started in January at 140 then gained to 142 (I assume muscle) and now I'm at 137
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I started in January at 140 then gained to 142 (I assume muscle) and now I'm at 137

How confident are you that you're actually hitting 1,200 a day (that is, are you weighing your food or are you measuring it in cups)? Would you mind opening your diary? You may get better advice.
  • regan8160
    Options
    I'm pretty sure. You are welcome to view my diary
  • regan8160
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and want to be a total toned 128
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Personally, I would not expect to see any "inches" lost with only 3 lbs. lost. In my experience, it takes a lot more than 3 lbs. to lose an inch. Use the scale for now, and don't give up!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm pretty sure. You are welcome to view my diary

You will need to go to Settings>Diary Settings, and then set it from there if you want others to be able to see it.

I agree with @Aemely, when you begin with not a lot to lose (and you don't have a lot to lose), it can be slow going. I have lost about nine pounds and it's just now at the place where I can notice it.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    Personally, I would not expect to see any "inches" lost with only 3 lbs. lost. In my experience, it takes a lot more than 3 lbs. to lose an inch. Use the scale for now, and don't give up!

Agreed.

Make sure you're weighing all your food on a food scale.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
  • regan8160
    Options
    I opened my diary
  • jennifershoo
    Options

No, not muscle. It's water retention in your muscles due to a new workout program.
    So, you lost 3 lbs since January. It's good. It's slow but good. It takes time.
    Be sure to log everything accurately and use a food scale.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I opened my diary

Still can't see it.
  • regan8160
    Options
    Should work now
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you either are not logging half of what you eat or you are starving yourself.
    :huh:
  • arditarose
    Options
    You're barely logging...There are days and parts of days unaccounted for. And the days I see three meals, are under 1200 calories.