Fat Dad starting a lifestyle change

Options
Hi all-
This is my first time posting but I wanted to document my journey. I am a 41 year old Dad of 2. I weight 300 pounds. I am hoping by the end of my journey I will be down to 190lbs. Please read my profile. I think I did a good job of introducing myself.

As you can see I have a very long road ahead of me. I am going to use this as a Blog I hope (I think this is how it works) to document my struggle and frustrations and success. I invite you all to join me for the ride.

If you want to know anything - drop me a line

Replies

• maduke3179
    Options
    One step at a time, you can do this! Good luck to you!
  • gb2002
    gb2002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. You can definitely make your goal. I do have one tip for you. Over your journey you will have ups and downs. Don't let them get the best of you. When they happen think about all the fun you can have with your kids and all the great things you will be able to do with them. Whatever you do don't ever give up. You can do this. Good luck sir.
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you. You are thinking correctly, lifestyle change and not diet.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm there dude. One of the turning points for me was seeing a picture of my dad and I when I was 21 and he was 45. I'm 47 now and I realized I looked like he did then.

I spent Christmas with my dad this year. He's had an aortic aneurysm, a heart attack and a minor stroke since that picture was taken. That's one possible future for me, but not the one I want.
  • psbotsford
    psbotsford Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You guess are awesome. I set up a blog if you want to read me *kitten* about things

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/psbotsford

• jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya, doing something similar myself.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best! I know 1st hand the battle of losing 100-200 pounds. Link tells a bit about me.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10080664/lost-191-lbs-photos-success-after-999-failures/p1

73641431.png
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    COngrats on taking the first step. May I offer an invitation to join a group in here called the Royal Order of Middle Aged Fat Men? Great group of guys all just like you going through what you go through. Check it out. ( Sorry if this sounded like a sales pitch) LOL
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When my dad was your age he was much like you, but he delayed his transformation by a few years. The last thing he gave up was the cigarettes, though he had many false starts. I heard a neighbour friend joke about my fat dad one day and after that she was not my friend any more. I worried that my dad would not be around when I got older. I started campaigns, put up "smoking is bad for you" posters around the neighbourhood. It was as if my older self got in a time machine and whispered in the ear of my teenage self. I knew, even then, he was making life-shortening choices.

You see, my dad is so important to me; one of the smartest people I know.

Anyways, he's in his seventies now and those years of smoking have taken their toll. He took control of his diabetes and lost significant weight many years ago. His later life is marked by wise choices and healthier living. But I will lose him maybe this year, maybe the next, from emphysema.

I've lost ninety pounds in the last twenty months. You can do this. Patience, perseverance, and re-setting yourself for success over and over. Your children are watching.
  • johnfraser95
    johnfraser95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can do it bud!!! Stay focused and believe!!!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    7 months ago I was a fat dad starting that same change... You'll do it!
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    One minute, one meal or one day at a time. Best wishes.
  • Biggest_Loser812
    Biggest_Loser812 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You CAN most definitely do it. Your first victory was making the decision to get started. I wish you all the best in your weight loss journey. STAY POSITIVE!
  • JLDRKSJ
    JLDRKSJ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You got this!!! Take it one day at a time :)
  • sar260885
    sar260885 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good luck x
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Fatguy2Fitguy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm on a similar journey. Stick with it during the tough moments and saviour the great ones. I would say best of luck... But don't let luck become a factor!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Patience and persistence is key!!! Never give up and you'll succeed. We got your back, Fat Dad!
  • psbotsford
    psbotsford Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    up guys are awesome. I am loving the support.