Should I weight lift, will this aid?

Options
So I am 220 pounds, 36% body fat under a 1800 cal diet and I am doing strong lifts workout 3 times a week. Now my question is will sronglift aid in weight loss here or am I purely doing this for nothing?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit aids in weight loss. Lifting for muscle mass retention and fun.
  • NarwhalofNight
    NarwhalofNight Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Calorie deficit aids in weight loss..

And lifting burns calorie, thus having a higher calorie deficit, right?
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Weights are the difference between losing and maintaining for me. I refuse to eat lower cals so weights allow me to eat where I want to and lose weight. Plus look better doing it!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Calorie deficit aids in weight loss..

And lifting burns calorie, thus having a higher calorie deficit, right?

You should be eating back your exercise calories if using the default MFP neat method.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eat at a deficit, lift weights, get in some cardio, and plenty of rest, and be patient. you'll get there.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It will aid in that you will likely be happier with what your body looks like when you get near(er) your goal weight.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We're talking about stronglifts 5x5, right?

You can continue to do the 5 exercises and the ABA pattern, that's fine, but don't bother adding the weight progressively. While on a deficit trying to cut weight, you'll stall on your lifts a lot quicker than maintaining or bulking.

Just set the weight to 70-80% of your max, and lift that. You should be fine for maintaining muscle, and burning calories should be fine too. Throw some cardio in as well. The cardio might wear you out though, so maybe try lowering to 3x5s instead of 5x5s until you get to your desired weight.