My Protien is always RED

Options
And I dont mean in the red meat way!! I have been trying to do a lower carb option with this site. I am definately making better eating choices but it seems like my protien is always in the red at the end of the day with the other categories green and under... I am guessing this is ok, but does anyone else have the same issue and if so.. are you losing weight?!?! My first weigh in is Wednesday and I am praying I am doing this right!

Replies

• pepper396
    pepper396 Posts: 33
    Options
    lol my sugar is always red everything else is usually okay... I need to stay away from sugar but dont know how.....just change things up I guess!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    unless you are eating more grams of protein in a day than you have pounds of body weight, you're not harming anything.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It is good to go over on your protein, especially if you are working out. Fiber as well. I almost always go over on my protein, so I just upped my daily goals of protein as it is a little low on here. I still go over sometimes.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm always Red in protein and fiber, but I'm not worried about it :) Protein and fiber are great for you!
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My protein is usually over, too. I don't worry about it. I do try to keep my sodium under (that's my biggest challenge).
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    yup, protein is the one macronutrient that my RD tells me, if you're going to go over anything, go over protein. plus if you're going to cut carbs, you need to eat those calories somehow, and protein seems a great way to go.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    MFP calculations for protein are really low. I make SURE I go into the red everyday. I should go in and reset it, cause I know, (for me anyway) that I won't lose if I don't get at least 100 (if not more) grams of protein every day. Also, i never get anywhere near the carb totals. This is just works for me.
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    unless you are eating more grams of protein in a day than you have pounds of body weight, you're not harming anything.

Agree...going over on protien is definatly ok, and I find its a good thing, MFP suggest a very low amount IMO. I try to eat around 100-150 a day.
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If the Protein value is red, you've eaten more protein grams than you have allocated. What is your goal (how many grams per day)?

As someone else mentioned, as long as you're not eating more than your body weight per day in grams of protein you're OK. In other words, if you weigh 150 lbs., you should not eat more than 150 g of protein daily.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    the red means you are over in your protein, not a bad thing.
    I'm always over on that and in the fiber also.

what's important is your calories, your carbs and your sodium to not be in the red!
    other then that all have to say is WTG
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Same here. I don't let it bother me. I'd rather go over on protein - especially when it's from beans or fish - than go over on carbs or fat.
  • dmaster555
    dmaster555 Posts: 73
    Options
    Protein in red is a good thing. The amount of protein this site recommends is way too low anyway. Low protein diets will result in you looking like a stick after weightloss and lose a lot more muscle.
  • bellyto5k
    bellyto5k Posts: 26
    Options
    Well Good Gosh!! That would be like a cow-load!! :) Thanks!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    I eat roughly 215-225g of protein every day. I think you'll be alright.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    A real eye-opener of a thread. I had no idea MFP was low on protein, and I often don't hit the target, let alone go over!
  • iruntoeat33
    Options
    I was just thinking that! It is my first day tracking and I am WAY in the red as far as protein is concerned!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    protein is your best friend!!! It digests more slowly than carbs, so it keeps you feeling satisfied longer. I am in the red for protein every day and it hasn't slowed my progress a bit!
  • mrsfeuer
    mrsfeuer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I also go over on my protein everyday.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What do you guys eat that are high in protein??? I NEED to up my protein but need ideas for protein rich but affordable foods (I dont eat red meats either ... :( )
  • jeverna
    jeverna Posts: 4
    Options
    Protein is ok cuz it'll keep you from being hungry. I'm usually in the red as well, have lost 6 lbs so far.