Amitriptyline and Weight Loss

Options
Hi guys!!
I have always suffered from severe headaches borderline migraines :s (over 10years) as well sleep issues for latter part of those 10+years. The drs have tried all sorts of medications, the dr I have most recently seen thinks that amitriplyne will be the answer, it is traditionally an antidepressant but has more recently been used for sleep and migraines. I asked her when she gave me the prescription about the effects this could have on my weight loss journey and she said it should be fine. However I have done some research and it seems alot of drs have said no it wont effect it and now they are gaining weight....Does anyone have any experiences with the medication, be it yourself or a friend/family member. I just feel like I need to hear some real peoples opinions as I am now a little worried...I've worked hard to shed my first 8kg over a looong period of time I would hate for it all to be undone by a stupid pill!!! Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've taken amitriptyline for migraines. I've taken just about everything for migraines, and that was the most recent. I didn't notice an obvious increase in my weight while taking it, but I have gone through a bunch of medication changes for various things in the past year. I attribute my weight gain to the cravings I succumbed to during the six weeks I took zyprexa.

I've had more migraines with amitriptyline than I did with gabapentin or propranolol, but less migraines than I would have without it. Now, I'm trying to see if I can control them with diet. I have the additional issues of having a kidney transplant and being bipolar, so doctors just kind of throw medications at me and hope they stick. I'm planning on getting in at a medical center that combines psychiatry and neurology to see if getting even more specialized will help.
  • TedaMojo
    TedaMojo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that!! It is nice to hear that taking it won't necessarily result in automatic and drastic weight gain, sometimes the internet can be a dangerous place!

Wow I really hope you get into see the drs that combine the psychology into their practice as well and they can find a solution for you to get things somewhat regulated!! I can understand how difficult it is when they aren't too sure so they give you one of everything and hope for the best!!! You must be a strong lady to put up with all of that toing and froing and trialing of medications etc. Kudos to you!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Botulinum toxin treatment to the forehead can help with severe migraines. As well as helping to keep the wrinkles at bay!

My boss is a nurse... Will ask her opinion for you next time at work. Migraines are the worst ever :(
  • TedaMojo
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Aww thanks Aimee!!! There is so many different things on the internet it is hard to know what to believe..... :)

Yes migraines really do suck!! :(
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    We have a few patients at work that have treatment for migraines. Mine are hormone related. I always get a blinding one just before I'm due a period and then nothing for the rest of the month. I feel for you I truly do x
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You know how it is. You learn to live with it. Where I went wrong was becoming complacent with it. If you find yourself getting hungrier when you start taking it, remind yourself that some medications will do that. If you get seriously intense cravings, tell your doctor.

Self awareness is everything. I could give awesome advice till the cows come home, but I suck at personal accountability.
  • Burnabychick2014
    Burnabychick2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started Nortriptyline nearly a year a go to treat both migraines (prophylaxis) & depression - desperate time & few alternatives left. Not successful as a migraine prophylaxis, but rocks as an antidepressant. One of the primary reasons I chose Nortriptyline over Amitrip is that Nortriptyline is weight neutral.
  • KaceyJaceyXD
    KaceyJaceyXD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I took it many moons ago as treatment for multiple things, depression sleep issues and migraines. I was also new to the MFP community at the time, and on my first weightloss journey the medications I was on never seemed to have an effect. I lost 40+ lbs before I stopped logging in MFP and stopped taking that particular medicine. I believe this is a case by case thing, though, because they told me that the shots for birth control would help my weight stabilize ( I was shifting between 200-210 within seven days, and there was no real explanation for the constant shift.) However I still shift, I just shift between 205-215 now. So I think all medicines are kind of a case by case basis
  • TedaMojo
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I know it depends on the person and how their body responds to the drugs but it's nice to get some real peoples experiences - I can read pages and pages of research and numbers but nothing can replace real experience!!! You have all made me feel better and given me hope that if I stay strict on myself (this is a work in progress) then hopefully it wont have too much effect on my journey. I just have nightmares of all this time and effort and money put into my healthy lifestyle change will go to waste by taking this pill - think we will trial it as anything is worth a try when it comes to getting some sleep and getting rid of migraines but I will definitely take this all on board and try and be super aware of what my body is telling me!!!

Thank you all for sharing with me!!! Means heaps and has been an amazing help!!! :)