Can somebody recommend a beginners workout DVD for me please?

Options
nicola8989
nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I want something quite short - about 20 mins :) I've been thinking of getting Jillian Michaels Beginner Shred but sounds pretty advanced!

I was really fit up until about 4 years ago - last July I started going to the gym and got fit again but I dropped off before Christmas and never picked it back up.

I don't want to start off too advanced and lose heart at my rubbishness. I'm going to start cycling again but I just want a DVD or YouTube video to supplement it.

I have Davina DVDs but they are pretty advanced and I have Tae Bo but it takes quite a while.

I'm based in the UK. Thanks :) x

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I recommend JM 30 Day Shred. Last year, I did it after being totally sedentary for 4 years prior. It wasn't easy, but the workouts were short, and effective. Also, there's no choreography to follow and she has an assistant that shows modifications for a very beginner.
    I am doing again now. What I like the most is how short it is. I am not bored or dreading a full, dragged out DVD.

Hope this helps :)
  • penguiner
    penguiner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just finished the Beginner Shred and totally recommend it. It was hard but not impossibly so and I can see the difference it has made. I liked the fact it was short - each workout is a maximum of 24ish minutes long, so it is over before you know it. Also it is very easy to follow. I am now going to start doing the 30 Day Shred,
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I love Turbo Fire. She is a little irritating but I like the workouts.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Focus T25 is 25 minutes with a 3 minute cool down. I love it and the results are awesome.
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansome Walk away the Pounds is a great starter DVD :)
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Jessica SmithTV on YouTube.... LOTS of short workouts for all levels of ability. Love them.

Fitness Blender (also YouTube) is also great.
  • BrisnIsMyVikingName
    Options
    I found a bunch of free videos on fitnessblender.com for beginners. I'd check there!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Google Prancercise. You'll laugh the pounds off! B)
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, you can do level One and work up from there... I have done a few rounds of this and then progressed onto the Extreme Shed and Shred and am now doing an Insanity style programme called XTFMAX90 which is fantastic. Good Luck...
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody :) might try the beginner shred then - will try the youtube ones too x
  • jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Crunch-Fat Burning Pilates with Ellen Barrett is what got me started. I did it years ago and thought it was the most difficult thing ever. It's standing pilates moves combined with some cardio. I don't know what your fitness level is now, but if you want something a little easier than Jillian Michaels, or just a switch up to make it interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-Burning-Pilates-Ellen-Barrett/dp/B00009V7QF
    Here it is on amazon.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I found a bunch of free videos on fitnessblender.com for beginners. I'd check there!
    This is my suggestion too!
  • deevah62
    deevah62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Jessica SmithTV on YouTube.... LOTS of short workouts for all levels of ability. Love them.

Fitness Blender (also YouTube) is also great.

Jessica Smith is my rec as well, she is easy to follow and really does have beginner stuff all the way to advanced.

But also, don't worry about the Shred - you can always do the moves more slowly or take more breaks at first. Never be afraid to tailor a video to your needs and level.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Look a bunch of these recommendations up on you tube and see what you might like to do. When you find something you like, you can decide if you want to invest in the DVD. 30 day beginners shred is on you tube.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Shred is high impact - so if your knees start hurting - alternate with some low impact days.

Both Jessica Smith and Leslie Sansone are great.

Jessica Smith has a YouTube channel. Lots of variety there.

On YouTube the Leslie stuff will be older....but newer DVDs (Walk At Home & Just Walk) are nicely chaptered with audible music.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think T25 is a great beginner program! They have low impact modifier moves for when you are just starting out. Shaun T is a great motivator and coach, I really want to stab Jillian Michaels every time I've done her work outs. Just my take :)

Oh! And don't pay full price from the beach body website or a coach! I highly recommend checking eBay or amazon or even your local craigslist! You can find great deals!
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am a leslie sansone fan as well.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good suggestions here. My local library has many of these titles along with some others. I encourage you to check out your library because then you can try the different DVDs they have and see what you like and is doable for you. Then if you really love one you can buy it without worrying that you're wasting your money.