petite ladies in their late thirties - early forties

Options
If you are petite you know it might be hard to keep slim.
I am an emotional eater, and although I am not fat, I used to be slimmer. I am not happy about my body but I find eating less so hard... I don't eat junk, but you know, healthy food has calories too. I live in the UK, and poor weather makes it difficult to live on salads or pop out to play sport.
As a former chubby child, I have been conscious about food and my body all my life. In this period I have a lot going on, and I just can't do it anymore. I have "diet fatigue". I just wish I could afford 2000 calories a day, but being petite my budget is much smaller.
Anyone who has a little weight to lose, but struggles with it? I'd really love to have friends a bit more like me. If you think you are pls send me a FR letting me know you read this post. Thank you! :)

Replies

• gabzillamom
    gabzillamom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am short, only 5'1. I struggle too. My husband was shocked when I reminded him how few calories I get compared to him (less than half). I have found that if I eat 1400 calories I start to consistently gain weight. It is frustrating.
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 35 years old
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft1 and 41, almost 42. I want to lose a fair bit though! Around another 30lbs.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is so me! I'm 5'1 3/4", & I'll turn 38 this summer. My starting weight (6 months ago) was 153 lbs. I'm now down to 140, and have 5 to 10 lbs to go.

I'm an emotional impulsive eater, which has been difficult to tackle. But my slow steady loss the last several months almost seems too good to be true. I hope I can keep it up!
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    5'2" and early 40's. I want to lose 10-15 (doesn't sound like much but I look like a different person now). I'm having a really hard time losing any weight. I track for a few weeks and get frustrated when the scale stays exactly the same. I don't feel like I eat unhealthy. I know it's calories in vs calories out. Wondering if I'm just not giving it enough time? Do you think we lose weight more slowly (like snail speed)?
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yep. 5'1", 48 years old. Not a lot of wiggle room in the calorie department.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm 36, 5'2", live in Australia. I have lost 10 kilos so far, with a goal of losing 10-14 more. This second phase has been tough. With exercise, I am getting smaller and my measurements have gone down, but the actual scale loss has slowed dramatically.
    Being small, I also cannot eat much and gain weight easily. (Sedentary job too!) A small bit of weight shows up as HUGE on us smaller ladies. It sucks! So I feel your pain.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    phys72 wrote: »
    5'2" and early 40's. I want to lose 10-15 (doesn't sound like much but I look like a different person now). I'm having a really hard time losing any weight. I track for a few weeks and get frustrated when the scale stays exactly the same. I don't feel like I eat unhealthy. I know it's calories in vs calories out. Wondering if I'm just not giving it enough time? Do you think we lose weight more slowly (like snail speed)?
    I had this problem. I was doing the math wrong! You need to eat 20% less of your daily calorie intake. Don't eat your exercise calories back, or a max of half if you are really hungry. That should help. :) I also find that carb cycling (eating normal carbs on days of exercise only) helps too. I just started this and I already feel lighter. :)

• coffeetox
    coffeetox Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 36. Hoping to loose a bit but mainly tone up. I want to loose some waist inches....If thats possible for me :)
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'2 and 39 years old. Yes,definitely a struggle for us but it is possible xoxox
  • ivetastic
    ivetastic Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    As I can see I am the shortest so far! I'm 4'11 and I'm 34! It's hard because it feels as if i look fatter because of my height
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    thank you ladies! it's really comforting to know i'm not alone! :) i'd love to have you among my friends if you'd like to have me among yours ;)
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    This is a thread I can get into!
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1". I can't carry too much weight! For some folks 103.5 lbs may be thin but for a petite person like me the extra lbs shows; 93 lbs is my ideal weight.

It is very challenging to keep up with my BF who is 6'1" 168 lbs, cycles 40 miles/week and loves cooking and eating out. Albeit I ran 20-30 miles/week I can't eat the same serving size as he does. On the bright side, I have never counted calories in my life until I turned 40. I ate anything I wanted, when I wanted it, how much I wanted it. Oh well, I had 40 years of bliss :-)
  • shortie1970
    shortie1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey.... well, I'm 4' 8" and 44 years old. I kid you not. I'm hovering around 114 pounds and want to get back to about 108 or 106. I'm eating 1300 cals a day. Lifting weights mainly. I'm so tempted to cut a little more but I can't see how you'd gain or keep muscle if I do.
  • jengrande
    Options
    I feel tall at nearly 5'4". I too work a sedentary job and I've put on about 20 pounds over the last 15 years. I'm struggling now just to maintain my weight and not gain any more. I just recently started tracking what I eat because my last health check up showed that my blood sugar and blood pressure are borderline high. I want to increase my overall fitness level.
  • TiffKouns
    TiffKouns Posts: 222 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am 5'2 1/2
    I will be 40 on Easter! I started out at 162 now 65 days in I am 138 still have about 13 to 15 more to go!
  • natnatgorman
    natnatgorman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm 5'2 and almost 35. I'm almost four months post-partum with my second child and am stuck, stuck, stuck with 10lbs ish to lose. I love to exercise...but I love to snack too. Ugh, short girl problems! Feel free to add me...I'm new to MFP.
  • rachelhjones36
    rachelhjones36 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm 36 and 4'10 , been on this healthy new lifestyle diet 10 days! Previously lived on chocolate cheesecake and ice cream as have an awful sweet tooth . Size 14 (uk) is now too tight , I was a big 10 2.5 yrs ago and my weight has crept up, I feel a big blubbery mess. I have 9 weeks to sort it
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm 36 and 4'10 , been on this healthy new lifestyle diet 10 days! Previously lived on chocolate cheesecake and ice cream as have an awful sweet tooth . Size 14 (uk) is now too tight , I was a big 10 2.5 yrs ago and my weight has crept up, I feel a big blubbery mess. I have 9 weeks to sort it

9 weeks? my dear, you gotta be healthy for the rest of your life, not for the next 9 weeks. or at least that's how i see it.