Huge (For Me) NSV: Sugar/Emotional Eating

Options
kirstinlee
kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
Ever since I was little, I have been addicted to sugar. Like, crack-addict addicted. There have been days that all I eat is candy -- literally nothing other than candy all day, sometimes for two and three days at a time. On days that I did eat something that resembled food, I would still eat close to 100g a day in candy bars and added sugar. As you can imagine, this has taken a huge toll on my weight, and has derailed every attempt at healthy eating. Every time I would try to quit it, I would get raging migraines and be in the worst moods ever.
I work at a travel center, and three days ago we opened a Cinnabon kiosk, so there have been samples floating around and free cinnamon rolls being handed out. Me, always being the one to take the easy road, decided that that would be the day that I quit sugar. I have been working with cinnamon rolls for three days straight, and have not eaten a single one. Not even a sample. In fact, I haven't eaten any processed sugar at all, and I feel amazing. For whatever reason, my body decided to cooperate, and I don't have single withdrawal symptom in sight.
I have also always had a problem with emotional eating. I work with some pretty toxic people, and I would often come home and just binge on any type of carb I could grab. I had the worst day at work I've ever had today; without going into detail, my boss who is twice my size threw a violent temper tantrum with me being the only other person in the room. Normally, I wouldn't have been able to function again before grabbing a couple king sized candy bars, and probably a cinnamon roll, too. But today all I had was a little bit of a tug -- and then it was gone. For the first time since I'm pretty sure forever, I was able to walk past sugar and carbs and forget about it.

I'm so excited!! :# I have no intentions on ever going back. Honestly didn't ever think I could say that I passed up free sugar lol!

Replies

• NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! I'm truly impressed as I know what a burden emotional eating and food addictions can be :D
  • misserin122
    misserin122 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!! Good for you!
  • Wreathy
    Wreathy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! I know the pull of emotional eating all too well - it's a tough one. I would just say prepare yourself in case the tug becomes really hard to resist one day. Have some strategies in place just in case.

And in the meantime, be proud of yourself for your success so far!! :)
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Keep up the good work!
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone <3
  • daltonjsmom
    daltonjsmom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    kirstinlee--you are my hero!
  • robster160
    robster160 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good for you! yeah yeah yeah!
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! My drug of choice is not candy however, it is anything that includes white breads, potatoes, and any salty processed snack food. I have been eating completely clean for only two days and I feel like a fog has been lifted. I feel amazing! Keep up the good work. (*)
  • ljglivingfree
    ljglivingfree Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!! I struggle so hard to fight the sugar addiction also. So happy for you!
  • NEWMEKELLIB
    NEWMEKELLIB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your struggle. I have been there so many days of my life. One day at a time. You can win this battle.
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow....cinnabon is the worst. You have amazing strength. Congratulations. That stuff smells so good. The only thing that saves me is I get really sick if I eat gluten. I know what you mean about the sugar. I am an addict too. I think actually saying that helps. I now really avoid sugar or simple carb - both send me into a downward spiral of bad eating. If I do have some sugar it is only when I am out. I don't have any at home. I have no self control.
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I admire your strength!!! Sugar and processed carbs plus the emotional eating will be the end of me.
  • Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing testimony!! Good for you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!