need help..

Options
Hi my names Perla I need to lose 75 pds im pre diabetic I need motivation to lose the weight and get rid of diabetes. Help :/

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Isnt the risk of getting diabetes enough motivation for you? You still have the opportunity to lose the weight and take yourself out of the pre diabetic state by following the advice on MFP. Weight loss is straightforward and it will work just by you eating less and moving more, so you are at calorific deficit.

Loads of advice here on what you need to do
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

From the NHS website you can see if you don't do something about it the Diabetes can have serious consequences.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Diabetes/Pages/Diabetesthefacts.aspx
    There are two main types of diabetes:

Type 1 diabetes – this is when the body can't produce any insulin. This type of diabetes usually occurs before the age of 40 and accounts for only around 10% of all cases. It's the most common form of childhood diabetes.
    Type 2 diabetes – this is when the body either doesn't make enough insulin, or the body becomes resistant to insulin, so it doesn't work properly. It's the most common form of diabetes, accounting for around 90% of cases. It's frequently linked with being overweight.

Both forms of diabetes are life-long conditions that have potentially serious consequences. Left untreated, diabetes can lead to heart disease, stroke, nerve damage and blindness.

Diabetes is the most common cause of visual impairment and blindness among people of working age. It is also the most common cause of kidney failure and non-traumatic lower limb amputations. People with diabetes are up to five times more likely to have heart disease and stroke, compared to those without diabetes.

However, if treated effectively, people with diabetes can reduce the risk of those complications and also reduce the day-to-day symptoms.

Many people with diabetes lead lives as healthy and active as those without the condition. There are world-class athletes who have diabetes, such as Sir Steve Redgrave.

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    there is also a type II group here on MFP... scope it out for support and info from folks dealing with the exact same challenges.. step one is to eliminate all "sugar added" food and drinks... go to water.. and limit your intake of diet soda. step 2 .. exercise... begin with cardio... if exercise is new to you... start with walking...start with a 1/2 hour out and a1/2 hour back... EVERY day...step 3... read.. read... read... and start thinking of food as fuel... best of luck... add me as friend if you like
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Oh and just to encourage you friends on my list have lost weight and got themselves out of the prediabetic state. So its perfectly possible to do something about it.
  • pavila1129
    pavila1129 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    there is also a type II group here on MFP... scope it out for support and info from folks dealing with the exact same challenges.. step one is to eliminate all "sugar added" food and drinks... go to water.. and limit your intake of diet soda. step 2 .. exercise... begin with cardio... if exercise is new to you... start with walking...start with a 1/2 hour out and a1/2 hour back... EVERY day...step 3... read.. read... read... and start thinking of food as fuel... best of luck... add me as friend if you like
    999tigger wrote: »
    Isnt the risk of getting diabetes enough motivation for you? You still have the opportunity to lose the weight and take yourself out of the pre diabetic state by following the advice on MFP. Weight loss is straightforward and it will work just by you eating less and moving more, so you are at calorific deficit.

Loads of advice here on what you need to do
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

From the NHS website you can see if you don't do something about it the Diabetes can have serious consequences.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Diabetes/Pages/Diabetesthefacts.aspx
    There are two main types of diabetes:

Type 1 diabetes – this is when the body can't produce any insulin. This type of diabetes usually occurs before the age of 40 and accounts for only around 10% of all cases. It's the most common form of childhood diabetes.
    Type 2 diabetes – this is when the body either doesn't make enough insulin, or the body becomes resistant to insulin, so it doesn't work properly. It's the most common form of diabetes, accounting for around 90% of cases. It's frequently linked with being overweight.

Both forms of diabetes are life-long conditions that have potentially serious consequences. Left untreated, diabetes can lead to heart disease, stroke, nerve damage and blindness.

Diabetes is the most common cause of visual impairment and blindness among people of working age. It is also the most common cause of kidney failure and non-traumatic lower limb amputations. People with diabetes are up to five times more likely to have heart disease and stroke, compared to those without diabetes.

However, if treated effectively, people with diabetes can reduce the risk of those complications and also reduce the day-to-day symptoms.

Many people with diabetes lead lives as healthy and active as those without the condition. There are world-class athletes who have diabetes, such as Sir Steve Redgrave.

• pavila1129
    pavila1129 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information it's just hard when I live in a household where everyone eats mostly bad foods and I try to eat healthy there is always temptation
  • jenniepriebe
    jenniepriebe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Pre-diabetes has jolted me into action. It can (and should) be scary but you can do this. I try to think of those temptations as paths to diabetes & heart disease. Add me if you want!
  • courtjean81
    Options
    There are sooo many groups on fb/instagram that can encourage you daily. One I follow is getting fit with Ashley on fb. If you don't get help at home look for it else where. First thing first though....you gotta want to do it for yourself. It's a way of life and way better then being unhealthy. My dude was borderline...not anymore. Lost 50lbs....you can do it!!
  • ivetastic
    ivetastic Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    pavila1129 wrote: »
    Thank you for the information it's just hard when I live in a household where everyone eats mostly bad foods and I try to eat healthy there is always temptation

I know the feeling! Temptation sucks! It is hard but it can be done!
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Tracking faithfully helps a lot. Then you can start slowly and learn to fit foods into your calorie allotment for the day. It also allows you to know where you can start making those changes. I have insulin resistance and PCOS, and living with someone who eats a lot of junk, this is how I track. I can't change what my DH eats, but I can and have changed what I eat.

I cannot say what will motivate you. But when I first got diagnosed with insulin resistance, I did just enough to not go full diabetes, but didn't push to lose weight. I ended up gaining more and increasing my risk.

Last summer I went to visit my mom and grabbed a photo of my dad and me when I was 2 years old. I put it on my mantle next to a photo of me and my DH at our most recent anniversary. It then dawned on me that where I was at at 33 was pretty much exactly where my dad was at 33 (his age in the picture) - morbidly obese, ~200 lbs overweight. He started going blind and having episodes of vertigo less than 20 years later and died at 57 of a heart attack brought on by diabetes complications. That was enough for me to go in a different direction. You have to find what does it for you.