Losing weight on a college diet (suggestions needed)

Options
ferneyjayde
ferneyjayde Posts: 151 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay so first off I should say that this is my 3rd attempt at using MFP since I have started college 3 years ago. The first two times I tried it lasted for about 2 months each.

My problem with sticking to using MFP and trying to stick to a calorie counting diet is that I am on a college budget. I do not have the money to go out and buy a weeks worth (or even 3 days worth) of fresh non processed groceries to turn into healthy meals. I find myself needing to pinch pennies and for the most part the only food I can find in my budget is the stuff I shouldn't be eating (ramen, canned soup, rice side ect.)

So when I try to eat these things in moderation to reduce sodium intake ect. I never seem to come close to my calorie goal. On the other hand, if I reach my calorie goal I have overloaded on sodium, fat, all that bad stuff. Eventually I just give up because it never seems to balance out correctly. This time I want to make a real go of it.

So, what I am asking is: what do you suggest for someone trying eat right and lose weight who is on a very restrictive budget?

Thanks!

Replies

• LokiDokiArtichoki
    LokiDokiArtichoki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student, living off campus.

My usual grocery list:
    - frozen mango
    - Seasonal fruit (mmm.. Strawberries are back down to reasonable prices!)
    - rice
    - Noodles
    - Ramen
    - Ice cream
    - Frozen veg (fav is green beans, which I add slivered almonds to)
    - Fresh veg (only if you'll eat them! I often forget unless they're cucumbers, lettuce, or squash, so I just stick to mostly frozen so nothing spoils)
    - Chicken breasts
    - popcorn
    - Kasha granola bars
    - Creamer
    - Gevalia coffee (gotta splurge a little)
    - Cottage cheese
    - Cheese sticks
    - Yogurt (opt for the giant tubs and divide into cups at home)
    - Oatmeal
    - Frozen burger (not the best, but easy to fix up for a last minute BBQ)
    - Bread (I get extra loaves and freeze them)
    - Beer (cheaper to drink at home
  • LokiDokiArtichoki
    LokiDokiArtichoki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Also, walk whenever you can. To school, around campus during breaks, downtown, out with friends. Get movin'!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight right now, you could just focus on staying under your calorie goal and forget the rest, since weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out.

Having said that, low-sodium cans of veggies, no sugar added cans of fruit, and bags of frozen veggies and fruit are cheap and last, as are dried beans, rice, popcorn in the single-serving bags...invest in a crock pot or slow cooker and you can buy cheaper cuts of meat and cook them until they're tender and save money while you're at it. There were some other good suggestions above me. Good luck!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My most successful attempt at losing weight started in my last semester of college. My meals were pretty much cereal in the morning, salad for dinner, something light (canned soup) for supper. I would sometimes snack on sugar free Jell-o. Once in a while, when my stomach was growling so loud I couldn't stand it, I would buy something sweet and high in calories from the vending machine. Looking back, I think I cut my calories too much, but I survived and successfully went from 270 to 220, and eventually to 190, but that was after I graduated.
  • ferneyjayde
    ferneyjayde Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! You gave me a lot of really good ideas that I hadn't thought of (love the yogurt idea and the cheap cuts of meat in the crockpot).
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat rice sides a few times a week. My sodium is ALWAYS wayyy over, but I drink a crap ton of water to combat the water retention and I haven't ran into any problems. Also, a bag of frozen chicken breast will literally give you lunch or dinner all week for like 6 bucks a bag (in my area). If you need help reaching your calorie goal by eating in moderation, doing something as simple as eating a peanut butter sandwich would add about 350 calories. I'm on a strict budget and I shop at aldis, they have a lot of cheap groceries and offer their own brand of low calorie foods. Once you find that balance you're looking for, things get so much easier :)
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am a poor and I recently discovered those little cans of tuna and salmon. The plan ones I get are 45-60 calories each and i eat them with a squeeze of lemon and some pepper, or maybe a bit of salsa. Eggs are also cheap, good and easy!
  • LogicalDaydreamer
    LogicalDaydreamer Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Also a student who is starting to get into cooking. For a while, I had great success buying all of my regular less-healthy food and focusing on eating less, but I've recently become interested in preparing healthier food. It helps to have a clear idea of what you'll be cooking that week and going in with a list. Keep an eye open for sales of things that you use frequently so that you can stock up. And as much as it hurts the wallet, spending a bit of money upfront to get pantry staples and spices can make all of the difference.

Here are a few handy resources for meal planning and economically friendly culinary adventures!:

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

http://www.budgetbytes.com/
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    -EGGS! (Hard boiled eggs are my cheap protein bombs)
    -Plain chicken breasts frozen (1 breast = 2-3 meals if shredded over salad, etc)
    -Tuna, salmon (canned, plain, add a bit of salt and pepper if needed)
    -fresh fruit/fresh veg is often cheaper than pre-prepared, especially if in season and on sale
    -peanut butter (natural, ingredients should be just peanuts)
    -oatmeal!!!

Finally, meal prep!!! If you plan your meals and, subsequently, your grocery list and then prep them, you won't need processed or canned foods (saving you a ton of sodium and sugar), you'll save money and you'll eat better/cleaner. No need for diet foods.

Just google clean eating meal prep or clean eating meal prep budget and you'll find tons of stuff and examples.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Buying in bulk is where its at (if you have the fridge/freezer space).

A 5lb bag of brown rice will take a while to get through and won't go bad fast.

Frozen veggies usually come in 10 for $10 type of deals if you buy generic.

Peanut butter, nuff said.

Freezing bread loaves is a good idea too.

Buy the generic brand of raw oatmeal (quick, rolled, or steel cut, doesn't matter) if you like it. The big kind that come in the tube looking thing. Don't buy packets though, they're filled with sugar.

Canned tuna! Def cheaper than buying individually, trust. Canned chicken too if you're into that.

Now that I think about it. Really ANYTHING that's canned will last a while. Canned veggies are always good, so take advantage of sales. Canned fruit can be tricky because of added sugar and stuff, but still worth a look.

I'd also suggest investing in a foreman grill and a miniature rice cooker. You can cook a lot of stuff in both of these. Crock pots also work for setting something to cook while you're at class all day.

Perishables are a little trickier.

Raw chicken breasts are a great source of protein and low in fat, and you can cook them in multiple different ways (grill will be the fastest way though). You can buy in bulk if you wish, and freeze what you don't eat, just make sure to only freeze the RAW chicken. Freezing cooked chicken will make it taste gross.

In season fruit too! Fruit can be expensive (avacados anyone?), so buy in season fruits that are cheaper, just make sure to eat them! You can make them into smoothies with some ice and Greek yoghurt too!

Almond milk will typically have an expiration date of 2 months ahead of when you bought it, so buy multiple when its on sale. It's a better buy than normal milk.

Eggs...well, the most I can say is don't waste. Unless you've already got high cholesterol, eat the whole egg. No need to waste good food if you're on a budget.

Cottage cheese is great, and the expiration date is usually a month after you buy it. Add some peanut butter or chocolate sauce (if it fits your macros) and makes a great type of "dessert" before bed that will help keep you full during the night to curb late night munching. Watch the sodium though.

Plain Greek yoghurt is good and you can mix it with fruit, or even tuna for a tuna salad (frozen or canned veggies too!). Not my favorite compared to mayo, but it works and helps fill your protein macro.

That's everything I can think of off the top of my head, good luck!