Hi does anyone know how often you should switch up your workouts?

Options
i seem to be stuck at a certain weight. I have a workout routine and I think my body is getting use to it. Does anyone know when or how often you should switch up your workout routine?

Replies

• dukecrazy77
    dukecrazy77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some ppl stick to a 8 weeks routine and some 12 weeks...i have known ppl that never do the same workout twice in a 8 week period but sometimes just switching up what you do first and making it your second or third exercise can help get you pass that hump or just increasing weighy by five pound or more reps with a less rest period. If your gym has a personal trainer, usually they can give a workout routine that fits your goals. There are so many variables that you can utilize but a simple change can make big impact. Good luck!
  • veanna111
    veanna111 Posts: 22
    Options
    Awesome thanks for the tip :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You should be constantly pushing your intensity and resistance in your workouts

but failing to lose weight is most probably down to your calorie intake because you can't out-exercise a bad diet
  • Btbeam
    Btbeam Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi veanna111. I think you should look toward the nutrition side of the equation. How many calories per day are you eating? Do you have any idea of how many calories your burning in your workouts? Sometimes we are actually eating to little. If your body is working at a large calorie deficit it will slow down your metabolism.

My wife was eating 1200 per day and working out 6 days per week and the scale didn't move. I suggested that she bump up to 1400. She looked at me like I was nuts. She went a few more weeks at 1200 and still nothing. Then she bumped up to 1400 and after a couple of weeks her body adjusted and started losing again.

The dreaded plateau comes from this type of thing. It is really tough when we hit a plateau to say to ourselves if I eat a little more I will lose again. In our minds it doesn't make sense but it's science. lol

Feel free to add me for additional support of if you have any questions that you thought I could answer. Good Luck with your journey.
    Brian
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Depends on how often you use that workout and what way. I'd say 6-10 weeks.

e.g. reps can be switched between high and low rep ranges as well as fast and slow reps.

A clear tell tale sign is that you stop loosing weight (like you mentioned), that normally means it's time to switch up the routine as your body has gotten used to it.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Even if your body does get used to your work out routine, you should still lose weight in a deficit. Exercise isn't required for weight loss at all. If you've stopped losing, make sure you're measuring everything accurately, not over estimating your exercise burn, and not just being impatient! Weight loss isn't linear, and there will be times when you won't lose for a week or two, this is perfectly normal.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    veanna111 wrote: »
    i seem to be stuck at a certain weight. I have a workout routine and I think my body is getting use to it. Does anyone know when or how often you should switch up your workout routine?

It's not your workout. If you're stuck at a certain weight, then you're eating at maintenance. Either work out more to burn more calories while eating at your current level or keep your workouts the same while reducing your caloric intake.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I generally switch every 8-10 weeks because I get bored, lol! As long as you are pushing yourself and prgressing, repeating the same type of exercise indefinitely is OK. For example, you can run as cardio and never do another form of cardio ever...but you need to increase speed and/or distance over time.