Do you weigh vegetables?

Options
snowy_sk
snowy_sk Posts: 117 Member
I find that measuring every single morsel makes me 'feel' like I am on a diet. Of course I totally understand measuring most foods but when it comes to the super healthy things..... Green veg etc, could I do a guesstimate? Not exact but might be more of a sustainable lifestyle change? Any thoughts welcome! X

Replies

• scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I weigh my veggies, they are a major part of my diet, though. So I weigh then all.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    vegetables=food=calories ergo weigh them if you want to track your calorie intake properly.

People are horrible at estimating their calorie intake.

*In some cases, people who claim they can’t lose weight by cutting calories underestimate their food intake by 47%, and overestimate their exercise levels by 51%. Other data has shown that people can underreport their food intake by up to 2,000 calories per day.

*http://evidencemag.com/why-calories-count/

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212

ETA: Side Steels blog does contain a section about "Methods without logging" here is the link below...

http://api.myfitnesspal.com/de/blog/SideSteel/view/methods-without-logging-697613
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine. After the third time or so, I remember what they weigh.
  • joanjettsmyt
    Options
    I don't weigh mine. Or my fresh fruit.
    1 large zucchini... Is 1 large zucchini and the benefits will outweigh the calories.
    Maybe just weigh potatoes and maybe carrots and pumpkin (starchy veg) and then do guesstimates on the non starchy veg.
    The more calories you are getting from non starchy veg, the less room you will have for rubbish so just relax and enjoy them
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the supermarket weighs and labels them, so I just read it off and enter it.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh everything...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I weight all of mine.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I weigh them and generally I think people should at first. After you get an idea of what a serving size looks like then you can phase out the weighing if you wish.

Or you can continue as you are for as long as it's working. If it stops working then weighing might be something you want to consider at that point.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its about accuracy and your diet. If you dont want to, then you dont have to, but you are conceding acccuracy and you could be eating more than you think. If you are getting results and you are happy with them without weighing thats your choice, but its common to see people complaining they have hit a stall, which can often be solved by getting them to weigh and log their food.
  • YanskaNY
    YanskaNY Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh my veggies. I tend to eat low carb and so I carefully track even my fibrous carbs in veggie form. I do well with the structure of weighing and measuring. I am a compulsive overeater so any little bit of control I can have over my intake is a good thing.
    If you follow a plan like WW that says you can load up on veggies and certain fruits that absolves you of hsving to measure them, but ehy not be aware of what you are ingesting? Technically we can binge on anything so I tend to stick with my measuring cups and food scale for everything.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Usually...Sometimes I get lazy if it looks like I'm going to have leftover calories for the day anyway and say, "that's about 100g of broccoli"...in the grand scheme, the broccoli and spinach calories aren't going to add up too much if I'm off by 20g. Things like potatoes, carrots, etc that are higher calorie, I'd be more careful with, but I rarely eat them, so it doesn't amount to much weighing.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I log my veggies but for the non starchy ones I don't weigh. I just guesstimate....2 big handfuls of spinach = 2 cups. Log a whole tomato as one tomato. My reasoning is that these items are low enough in calories that a little error here and there isn't going to be enough to make a difference. And it hasn't--my weight loss is progressing at a pace I would predict from my logging and fitbit adjustments. If this approach were causing my loss to slow down then I would of course have to tighten up. Also, I don't think I'm prone to estimate these incorrectly, at least not to a substantial degree. Eating ridiculous portions of non starchy veggies is not what made me obese!

When I eat more calorie dense veggies like beans or potato I do measure more carefully as I am prone to want to overeat potatoes especially and being off by an extra several bites can meaningfully change the calorie count.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I weigh veggies because I find it much easier than estimating them. I chop them by the scale, so it is zero effort to pop them on, whereas I am the kind of person who overthinks estimations. Besides, I like eating lots of veggies and seeing the numbers usually encourages me to eat more.

The scale doesn't feel diet-y to me--if anything just the logging would, but it doesn't really--since I have a data-keeping personality and plus used to bake and used a scale for that.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't even log them. I just keep it in mind.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh everything...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh, or measure them. I have a pretty good idea what a cup looks like by now also.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything, including condiments, even though my wife hates it when I use them. ;-P
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    As I'm plating my food, I set the plate on the scale and use the tare function to weigh each thing I add, including veggies. I am trying to make sure I get enough potassium and lots of that comes from veggies. But doing the whole plate as I fill it makes it seem like no big deal to me.

I do estimate really small amounts like the lettuce and tomatoes on tacos. I've weighed them a couple of times to give myself an idea, but the difference between 3 and 4 grams of lettuce is small enough that I don't care.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I used to but don't bother anymore. For most vegetables, even if you are a bad guesser, you're probably not going to be off by more than 10 calories. Down at that level, error from individual variation between the same type of vegetable and scale inaccuracy starts to dominate.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes I weigh them