5k NSV

Options
Let me start out by saying.... I hate running!

I started walking back in August of 2010. I walked and walked as the pounds came off, but I was reluctant to start jogging.

About a month ago, I jogged for the first time and managed a single mile before falling back to a fast paced walk.

Nevertheless, I had signed up for a 5k (which took place yesterday). My expectation was to pull off the ~3.11 miles in about 50 minutes. My goal was simply to finish my dreaded first 5k.

Something unexpected happened though. Through all the wheezing, phlegm, and pain I NEVER SLOWED TO A WALK! I jogged the full 5k and maintained over 6mph!

I finished with a time of 30.43 minutes. I took 11th in my class and 55th overall (out of more than 200).

At least I didn't die! ;)

Replies

• tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    WOW! great job! Its amazing when our body does more than we think possible! I learn that every week while doing the c25k program! My goal is to be able to run a 30min 5k by this fall! Great job!
  • bellyto5k
    bellyto5k Posts: 26
    Options
    wooohooo!! Your story is the SAME as mine.. goals of just finish my first one, dont walk in my second one and I am doing my 3rd in June!! I AM NOT a runner, built for comfort not speed!! but it is amazing the changes your body can make in such a short time!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!
    I am about to start week 6 of Couch to 5K and everyone keeps asking me if I have signed up for a 5K yet. I am so scared to. IDK why. Its like I think I won't be able to make it, but I jogged on the treadmill for 2 miles last week. I was amazed I made it that far. Then Friday I struggled really bad, and I just knew I couldn't do a 5K.
    But reading your story gives me hope. Maybe I can do it. Maybe I should sign up for a race.

Way to go on your accomplishment!!
  • allimax2002
    allimax2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thats so awesome!! A 5K is my goal (one day) and I don't want to walk it either! I'm so happy to hear that its possible!!
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! I'm working on the running, and one day I'll get to where you are! Great job! (Now when is your 10K?!?) :)
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Dang!!!! Congrats on the awesome run! I've been running for two years now and still an not at a 10 min mile! Totally jealous....in the best way possible :) Keep up the awesome work.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    That's incredible, good for you! Thanks for sharing!
  • amzywamzy
    amzywamzy Posts: 11
    Options
    Nice! A job well done!

I just started my c25k program yesterday and can't wait to see how it will turn out in 9 weeks. Just to make sure that I follow through the program, I signed up for a 5k run that will be held in 10 weeks time!

What kind of challenges (if any) did you face while training for 5k?
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I NEVER SLOWED TO A WALK! I jogged the full 5k and maintained over 6mph!

I finished with a time of 30.43 minutes. I took 11th in my class and 55th overall (out of more than 200).

That is awesome! Must be a great sense of achievement! :smile:
    I've signed up for a 5K on June 21st and I have to admit I'm very nervous right now.
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    @ummamatullah: I actually had a lot going on emotionally in my life since my initial jog and was only able to motivate myself to jog/train about once a week.

Sadly, this time around I'm not a good example of "how to train." I just lucked out and was able to mentally overcome it.

At that, I would say the biggest challenge is to actually force yourself to train... no matter what. I wish I'd been able to put my whole heart into the training and that life would not have gotten in the way.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant!

I'll be doing D2W3 fo c25k tomorrow, and I have to say that yesterday was when something 'clicked' and I realised that not only am I capable of doing 5k in a few weeks' time, but that I actually enjoy running! Honestly, I never thought I'd say that!

So congrats to you - I hope you are incredibly proud of yourself! :smile:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Incredible accomplishment, congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!