deadlift pain

Options
So I did some deadlifting yesterday for the forst time but it took me a while to get my form right, I just couldnt get the hang of it, I have now but for quite a bit I wasnt bending my legs enough and even though I wasnt lifting heavy my bavk is now really uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone else has had this trouble and how long it took for it to heal. Also whether it would still be ok to do sit ups ect? Im freaking out a little as my family suffers with back problems :/

Replies

• arsoria24
    arsoria24 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hey, well can you tell if it is an injury or soarness? If it is an injury i recommend you stop until you get better and have someone show you how to properly dead lift before you give it a go again. In my opinion dead lifts are one of the best workouts, if you do it wrong you can be seriously injured. If you are just soar then you are go to go as long as you can fight through the soarness pain.
  • ferniejoy
    ferniejoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lift until you get to the doctor about your back. You could end up with an injury that makes it difficult to do anything. I wouldn't recommend any free weights without proper instruction. You can use weight machines if you want to go it alone, but at least get some advice from the people at the gym who get paid for it. I work in the fitness industry, and part of an instructor's job is to help people prevent (and sometimes heal) injuries.
  • aimeelaing1982
    aimeelaing1982 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Be really careful here, a friend of mine got me to try deadlifts - didn't use correct form and blew my mcl and injured the meniscus. Took more than 6 months to recover and I'm lucky it was only inflamed. I agree with ferniejoy, get an instructor to show you correct form to use machines and free weights. Even if you have to pay for a couple PT sessions, that will be cheaper long term than dealing with injuries.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I struggle with deadlifts too and have found they leave my back very sore. Seeing a chiropractor in a couple of weeks so have decided to leave DL alone for now.

However, those of you who are WAY more knowledgable than me, what is the purpose of a Deadlift? Which muscles does it work (when done correctly!) and is there an alternative? Ive never managed to get the form right on this, (or kettlebell swings funnily enough!).
  • higgster23
    higgster23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are a great exercise for strength and core progress but you have to be careful. Wear a lifting belt to assist in keeping your back straight and if you're a novice use dumb bells at first to get it right. If you're in pain then do see a doctor first but when you're ready remember technique is key
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I deadlift once a week. Whilst it is probably the best all round exercise to do it is also the hardest in terms of form. I agree with everyone that you should check with your doctor, but I get back ache every time I do them, it's just the nature of the exercise and your back will only get stronger over time

• Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell Deadlifts are also a good way to use lighter weight and different grip for a safer introduction to the lift
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Whenever you do something new in the gym, it will make you sore, just because your body's not accustomed to doing it. If it goes away in 48 hours or so, you're fine; and you don't want to be deadlifting more often than that anyway, because deadlifting is a great exercise but it does put a lot of strain on the back.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If it isn't better in a couple of days...see a chiropractor. If I am being sloppy with form (it happens sometimes when I am rushing), I'll strain my back, and it is usually a 2-3 days thing.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I just started doing deadlifts this winter. After the first time, I hobbled around with a sore low back like an old lady. I didn't have the bar close enough to my shins going down. Form is key as everyone here has also said - work with someone face-to-face at the gym before you do these any more to ensure you have proper form.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    blobby10 wrote: »
    I struggle with deadlifts too and have found they leave my back very sore. Seeing a chiropractor in a couple of weeks so have decided to leave DL alone for now.

However, those of you who are WAY more knowledgable than me, what is the purpose of a Deadlift? Which muscles does it work (when done correctly!) and is there an alternative? Ive never managed to get the form right on this, (or kettlebell swings funnily enough!).

Deadlifts are king of the compound lifts since it hits so much.
    Just off of the top of my head: grip strength, glutes, core, back, quads, etc.

For more info:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson101.htm
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - is your lower back just sore during and a little after the lift…or do you have radiating pain for a few days after …?

if the former then see a DR…

if the later then you should be ok ..

but as others have said form is key on deadlifts. I would suggest shooting a video and posting it in a form check thread….
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The first time I attempted deadlifts, I think I did something wrong. I thought I was using good form, but my back was extremely sore for about a month. I didn't do any lifts during that time that would strain my back, and bought me a belt for my next attempt at doing them.

I agree with everyone else. Check with a doctor. He/she can treat it if there is a problem. If it is just soreness, he/she can give you a peace of mind, knowing that the pain won't be permanent.
  • LoeshaElizabeth
    LoeshaElizabeth Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for all your advice. I will be avoiding lifting for a couple weeks and when I attept it again I will get the gym instructor to show me proper form. Just wondered if it would be safe to do some ab exercises like sit ups ect as its ab day and breaking rutine often makes me relaps into being unhealthy again? Im not in agony more just feeling uncomfortable like a dull ache
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    there are far better core exercises than sit-ups.
    Like RKC planks.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ice your back, to decrease any swelling, a couple times a day if you can fit it in.
    Planks are far better than crunches or sit ups for core strength training, and they shouldn't aggravate your back.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    First time I did deads, I thought I was going to die the next day. lol I was sore as heck. I do the Stronglifts program so I do deadlifts 1-2 times a week. After doing them for a while, they have become one of my favorite lifts.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you just have some soreness after your first time deadlifting, that sounds completely normal. You will generally have soreness whenever you do something for the first (few) times. Especially since I doubt you used a whole lotta weight your first time, your chances of injury are exceedingly small. You'll probably feel fine in a few days. If it takes longer than a week or so to start feeling better then maybe it's worth looking into.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    +1 on the form. Deadlift once a week, I also do assistance work 3 or 4 days earlier. Hyper extensions, kettlebell swings and stiff legged deadlifts to make the lower back stronger. Also I stretch out the lower back multiple times during the week, largely concentrating on the erectors. This helped me a great deal. Hamstring flexibility is also important for DLs. But be prepared to be sore after DLs, as long as it's the "good" kind of sore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    blobby10 wrote: »

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/10/07/strength-training-101-the-deadlift/