Results with walking(treadmill) ?

Options
_Juhi_
_Juhi_ Posts: 38 Member
Decided to finally get on the treadmill! :D Just wanted to know how much of weight can one normally use by walking?
I have planned to walk for an hour everyday..3Kilometers and m gonna follow a simple n heathy diet..no junk no sugar no soda!
I wish to loose 10kgs in 2 months..Is that too much for a goal?

Are there any programs to follow? Have came back to MPF after a long time and I hardly know about any weightloss programs!
Help please. :)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The amount you lose is dependent on your calories in vs. calories out numbers. That is, how many calories are you eating vs. how many are you burning. Use the MFP site to figure out your calories for the day, log what you eat and when you exercise and then eat back half of your exercise calories.

As for a treadmill walking plan, I've been doing this one since mid-winter and really like it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Figure out what your daily calorie needs are and fashion an eating plan that allows you to go at a small deficit (500 calories per day or less). It is more than possible to lose 10KG in two months, but it will take diligence, persistence and patience.

Walking is a great exercise for good general cardiovascular health. Although going from zero to one hour per day might be a little aggressive.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I walk 45 minutes on my treadmill 5-6 days/week. I lost a lot of weight in 2009 with walking as my only form of exercise. Like the other posters have stated, you won't likely lose weight by exercise alone. A proper diet with the appropriate # of calories is the true key to successful weight loss.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Walking does not cause weight loss.

Consuming less calories than you burn causes weight loss. The benefit of walking is that it burns more calories than sitting on the couch.
  • ashleyrlewis17
    Options
    I started walking an hour every day on a treadmill (a week ago yesterday 3/14) I've changed my whole dieting, only allowing myself around 1100 cals a day, and I also use a beach body shake for a meal replacement (usually breakfast or dinner) and I have lost 6 pounds so far!
  • ynkesfan2003
    ynkesfan2003 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As other people are saying weight loss is a result of taking in less calories than you burn, it's really that simple. Roughly speaking, If you eat 3500 calories less than you burn you will lose a pound. As far as the walking, the rate you're talking about would burn ~200 calories per walk for me, a 6 ft, 190 lb male, maybe a bit more. For me that would be a little more than half a regular meal that I would get back. There's a lot of variation to all these numbers based on age, gender, body weight, etc. but you can still get an overall idea of what you need to do. Also, sorry for the pounds and feet, but I don't sadly have time to convert things over right now :neutral_face: .

That said, there are other benefits to walking/dieting outside of simply losing weight. Walking helps your heart and cutting soda from your diet will certainly please your dentist. If you're ok with doing this, it's definitely a good idea.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, especially for someone just starting out. When I realized I needed to change my lifestyle a few years ago I started walking more. That led to the Couch to 5K running program which led to running half marathons and that led to adding weight lifting, too. It all just sort of snowballed. :)

Weight loss is made in the kitchen, not the gym. It's 80% about the calories you're consuming and 20% about how much you're exercising. You don't need to cut out any specific foods, just track what you're eating correctly. You can gain weight eating all "healthy" foods if you're eating too much of them.

Set MFP with your goals (choose Sedentary and manually add your treadmill sessions as you do them) and then start tracking your food to stay under your calorie goal each day. If you log your food accurately and faithfully, you will see results.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, but I now also use my treadmill at speeds far below that of aerobic exercise. I am determined to sit less because excessive sitting is terrible for one's health. I now walk slowly on my treadmill, watching videos on my iPad or reading on my Kindle. I feel great with a lot more energy than I had before. And sitting less is definitely helping me maintain my 50 pound weight loss.

A group of MFP friends inspired this website, devoted to helping people sit less and move more. We are Quitting the Sitting and we hope you will join us!

http://www.quittingthesitting.com

8zh7wlcsihmi.jpg
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, but I now also use my treadmill at speeds far below that of aerobic exercise. I am determined to sit less because excessive sitting is terrible for one's health. I now walk slowly on my treadmill, watching videos on my iPad or reading on my Kindle. I feel great with a lot more energy than I had before. And sitting less is definitely helping me maintain my 50 pound weight loss.

A group of MFP friends inspired this website, devoted to helping people sit less and move more. We are Quitting the Sitting and we hope you will join us!

http://www.quittingthesitting.com

8zh7wlcsihmi.jpg

When I have time for leisure, which isn't often lately since I went back to school while working full time, I'll sit on my stationary bike and pedal while reading or watching a TV show or movie on my computer. Sadly, I need to do my schoolwork at the computer and I work at one, too, so I sit more than I'd like. I combat it with scheduling time almost every day, either immediately before or after work, for either weight lifting or running. If I didn't have that dedicated time it'd be much more difficult to maintain my weight.
  • _Juhi_
    _Juhi_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for ur replies! Got to know alot.
    Definitely gonna keep all these things in mind..