"Calorie free" syrup

Options
so I found a dessert/coffee syrup in my cupboard and was wondering if anyone could give any detail on the reliability of this claim.
Ingredients are listed on the bottle in the pic. It tastes super sweet so I'm hoping its a sugar saver.
I'd be interested to know if there's potential for it to trigger cravings/cause a crash too.
Thanks! okd5eimcxbv8.jpg

Replies

• BritDillinger
    Options
    It is legitimate. Sucralose is a sugar alcohol. Your body does not retain sugar alcohols. You urinate or defecate them out.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have something similar. They are merely using sucralose instead of sugar so I do not doubt the veracity. But I hate the taste of sucralose. And it gives me a headache.
  • CarbingTemptation
    CarbingTemptation Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is legitimate. Sucralose is a sugar alcohol. Your body does not retain sugar alcohols. You urinate or defecate them out.

Ahh thank you! I always wondered why sweeteners just contained other sugars.

Excellent. My morning coffee is certainly going to streamline itself now!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It is legitimate. Sucralose is a sugar alcohol.

Sucralose is chlorinated sucrose (sugar) with three of the OH groups replaced by Cl. It retains the ring structure whereas sugar alcohols do not. Sugar alcohols do not contain chlorine atoms and their names end in -ol.

I think it is more accurate to categorise sucralose as an artificial sweetener than a sugar alcohol - I haven't seen that before.

• clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The classification of sugar alcohol or not it actually super important because sugar alcohol wrecks many people's digestive systems, mine included.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Label states is has 0.0g of carbohydrates per 100ml - yet it contains at least one carbohydrate (sucralose and also citric acid). The label looks amateurish.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Isn't sucralose the same thing as Splenda? It's too sweet for me... and it usually turns me into massice carb craving mode for some reason.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Label states is has 0.0g of carbohydrates per 100ml - yet it contains at least one carbohydrate (sucralose and also citric acid). The label looks amateurish.

Citric acid is a carb?
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Isn't sucralose the same thing as Splenda? It's too sweet for me... and it usually turns me into massice carb craving mode for some reason.

Yes. Splenda is the original brand name. Sucralose is the generic name.

Sucralose is my go to artificial sweetener. It lacks the nasty after taste of aspartame and saccharine, you can cook with it and it doesn't trash my digestive system like sugar alcohols.
  • lhulsey4
    lhulsey4 Posts: 1
    Options
    This doesn't directly relate to the topic at hand, but this seems like a good thread to share this in...I typically shy away from calorie-free, or sugar-free foods, as they are usually loaded with artificial sweeteners. IMO, they do more harm than actual sugar. BUT, keep an eye out for foods sweetened with stevia. It is a natural sweetner, has no calories, and is sweeter than sugar, so less can be used. I've not read anything that leads me to believe it is harmful in any way. Dextrose is also an option as it is the part of sugar that's not bad for you per se, although it has calories and carbs. It is much like powdered sugar in consistency and taste. It is a simple sugar, usually derived from corn, wheat, or rice, and is readily accepted/broken down by the body (high GI). I use it for pre/post workout carb source for energy, and to sweeten fruit if I need more carbs in my day's diet (dextrose happens to be found naturally in fruits as well).
  • diared3
    diared3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am with lhulsey4. I have a bottle of liquid Stevia. I just put 5 drops on my unsweetened oatmeal this morning and it was more than sweet enough. No after taste no health warnings.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

This.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    Citric acid is a carb?

Strictly speaking it is - contains carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. The label doesnt state what % is citric acid so its contribution to the overall carbohydrate % could be negligible or significant.