Question about amount of calories a day

Options
noelani716
noelani716 Posts: 56 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi guys! Is 1600 calories a day a good amount to consume for someone looking to lose weight fairly fast? Or does it depend on other factors? Let me know :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose it fast?

If that's what MFP has suggested for you, then go with it for a few weeks and see how you find it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How tall are you? How active? Current age?

Without knowing your particular stats, I would still say that seems like a reasonable number. I am currently at 1760 daily and am losing about 1.4 per week (99.2 total so far)
  • noelani716
    noelani716 Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for responding! I'm 5'7, 190, and active. Loosing 600-800 calories a day. 20 years old
  • cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It depends on several factors, your weight, lean muscle mass, energy expenditure. I would recommend you to use http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ to calculate how many calories you should be consuming in a day. 1600 sounds good, as @melaniecheeks said, try it out and see if it works for you, tweak where necessary. good luck!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    noelani716 wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for responding! I'm 5'7, 190, and active. Loosing 600-800 calories a day. 20 years old

Sounds like you have a sound plan started for your height, weight, and activity level. Enough food to feed the body but a big enough deficit to lose a little less than 2 a week.